The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Ace5n85

Bagged and laying body. My 81 C-10 build.

I recently picked up an 81 c10. It's been a while since I built a truck since I've been doing the hot rod thing for a few years. This came up cheap and I couldn't say no. It will be for sale all day, every day. Plan is for it to be bagged, on the ground and daily driver capable, even though it's going to split that duty with my other cars until someone buys it.

Ace5n85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Ace5n85

Re: 81 C-10 build.

Out with the old 250. It wasn't running right, compression test shows no pressure on one cylinder.

Looks like this might be a problem.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Ace5n85

Took the springs out and torched off the shackle hangers. Gotta see how low she can go as she sits.

Not even close!

My buddy torched the bottom of the frame off so the body is able to meet the pavement

Installed 2.5" McGaugheys spindles. They went on very well and are very beefy at nearly 25 pounds each.

Before

After, a arms on the ground.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Ace5n85

Things are about to get serious. 5" front frame Z to let the frame lay with 31" tires (approx.). I'm almost 31 and the days of rubber band tires are behind me. Don't need 31s for sure but it'll sure be nice for 24 inch wheels to be an option.

Bam! Don't mind the mess. Cars get built in this garage and cars leak all kinds of fluids.

When I'm done I want two things for the frame.
1. It to pretty closely mimic the contour of the floor/firewall transition.
2. It to look as close to a factory frame as possible.
Here goes nothing with some templates and 1/8" plate.

Bottom obviously still needs done and the inside needs welded but it should do what I wanted it to do.

Camber ain't half bad either for being on the ground.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
tinydb84

And I thought my 4'' Z was a lot. Good start!
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
Ace5n85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
And I thought my 4'' Z was a lot. Good start!
Thanks! Like my buddies dad always says, "if some is good, more is better and too much is just enough."
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #7
83swb

Is that the original paint? Looks awesome. Fab work looks well done too.
83swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #8
Ace5n85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83swb View Post
Is that the original paint? Looks awesome. Fab work looks well done too.
It is not. Was brown then orange then tan (which you can still see) and then green. The green is super dry now and flakes off with my hand like my palms are 36 grit. Bummer. That's ok. Makes the original/paint job decision easier.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
stepside83

this is a good start keep good work going
stepside83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:00 AM   #10
Ace5n85

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside83 View Post
this is a good start keep good work going
Thanks. I'll be back at it tomorrow night hopefully. Definitely all weekend. Hope to get the front done and the back started by end of day Sunday.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #11
Ace5n85

Re: Bagged and laying body. My 81 C-10 build.

Updates from last weekend. Got the rest of the front frame welded up and ground down pretty smooth.

Some welds. Not too bad. Dont mind the double/triple passes, they're only there so fill in some mild undercut so its smooth when ground down.

Ground down most of the way. Pretty close to looking like it could have come that way.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #12
Ace5n85

Got the frame smoothed out a little more and welded the bottom of the new frame section on. It's 1/4" for dragging purposes. Not that we'd ever do anything like that.

Sorry for the crap pic

Old 02-15-2015, 09:01 PM   #13
Ace5n85

Had some time to get the frame Z and section job done. Got the cab in place. I'll tell ya what, there are not too many things better than seeing the fruits of your labor for the first time. Well, anyways, here ya go. Whatcha think?

And THIS is why I took the time to do this. Pinch weld ON THE GROUND.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #14
Ace5n85

Several updates today. I have been working on this thing,just havent had the time to post it all.

Started with the back half of the frame. Hopefully, with pictures, I can explain this without being a rambling idiot. A simple c-notch would have been fine, but it introduced several other problems: The bed would then need "towers" made to support it, its more fab time making that stuff and welding it in and mostly, i think they're kind of ugly. So I did a little math and came up with another way. I needed to raise the bed and shorten it at the same time. I made cuts on the frame at a 30 degree angle, this allowed me to take the drivers side cutout and use it for the passenger side, and visa versa.

This will allow me to clear the rear axle and maintain the factory frame top to support the bed.

Next thing up was removing the useless leaf springs for some 2x2 box.

No fancy tools for me. A hole saw and a little patience does just fine

Here's the plan for the brackets. Can't take credit for these, they're Thorbeke Bros. Dudes make quality stuff and have always been good to me.

Money shot. On the ground.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #15
Ace5n85

I'm usually a longbed guy. I've owned a few of them and they're definitely useful, the problem is, well, they're LONG.

This aint gonna cut it.

Time to cut the bed apart. The new bedsides would cost me 910 bucks to get to my door, and I have more time than I do money.

Remove the inside of the bed. Theyll be shortened vertically later, since simply raising the bed and rebolting it looks unfinished to me.

Now for the scary part. Needed to take 14 inches out of the front to match a shortbed. Like this.

MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE. The straighter the cut the less prep time before welding.

I didnt match the stake pocket cut yet because I wanted to measure and cut after I could get the exact dimensions.

BAM

Magnets and panel clamps showed me that my gap was suitable for welding. These clamps DID NOT stay there during welding, they just allowed me to see the uniformity of the gap before I welded it and couldn't adjust anything.

Got out the Miller Syncrowave 210. Ran it at 36 amps. I only weld an inch or two at a time and finish it before moving to the next piece. A friend of mine does this method for a living and it works extremely well for him.

Flap disc on a grinder and a LOT of vixen file work.

A little bit of undercut but not too bad for my first time welding body panels.

THIS LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER!

Well, that's where we're at so far. I think the bed came out awesome, especially considering this is the first sheet metal I've welded that wasn't practice scrap. A skim of body filler and itll be fine.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #16
dragn91

Looks good but are you gonna shorten the back portion of the bed to match a regular shortbed? Looks a little off having the back long and front short. I think it's 4 or 6 inch different in there rear portion short vs long bed there's lots of threads on it from the crew cab guys
dragn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #17
Ace5n85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragn91 View Post
Looks good but are you gonna shorten the back portion of the bed to match a regular shortbed? Looks a little off having the back long and front short. I think it's 4 or 6 inch different in there rear portion short vs long bed there's lots of threads on it from the crew cab guys
Good eye! Yes it will get shortened also. You're right it needs about 6 inches cut out. The temptation to see it with the front shorter was to great. Haha. Also, the fronts are easier to do since they have a bend right in front of the cut. The back will be harder to keep from warping,so I'll tackle that after I use the other side as easy practice.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
tinydb84

Dude! That is exactly how I want to do my bed. I am going to make a short long bed or "shlong" bed (sorry couldn't help it lol). I like the idea of raising the frame and played with it before deciding to use a normal notch (when I get around to it).

After seeing that side shot I am definitely going to do it. Wanna come over and do it for me? Whats a three hour flight between internet strangers....(jk)
Old 03-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #19
Ace5n85

Quote:
Dude! That is exactly how I want to do my bed. I am going to make a short long bed or "shlong" bed (sorry couldn't help it lol). I like the idea of raising the frame and played with it before deciding to use a normal notch (when I get around to it).

After seeing that side shot I am definitely going to do it. Wanna come over and do it for me? Whats a three hour flight between internet strangers....(jk)
Not gonna lie, "shlong bed" made me laugh. Apparently I'm still 13. And as ****ty as its been in PA, I'd be all over an all expenses paid trip for two to SD. It's all expenses paid right?! HAHA. Watch the thread for more pics of the inside and back. Maybe u can learn from my mistakes. Let me know if u have any questions during your "shlong bed"
Old 03-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #20
Justin@EntropyRad

the 2x2 in place of the leafs is a new one for me...killer setup though
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods" - www.EntropyRad.com www.speedcooling.com
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #21
Ace5n85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad View Post
Thanks man. It's a hot rod setup I've seen. A panhard bar or wishbone and it'll work well for a cruiser. And I could make it static in an hour if need be (cops, inspection, etc.)
Old 03-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #22
dragn91

Ok I gotta ask what's the 32-34ish looking frame/quarter panel in the background of the one pic. If you got a cool truck and a 32-34 I'm gonna be really jelous. I just got a couple a's and a hudson and my junker crew cab
dragn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #23
tinydb84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad View Post
It is known as a 2 link. Usually you see the bars under the axle instead of on top but it serves the same purpose. Its not the best for articulating and pinion angles but if you are only airing it down when parking it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #24
Ace5n85

Quote:
It is known as a 2 link. Usually you see the bars under the axle instead of on top but it serves the same purpose. Its not the best for articulating and pinion angles but if you are only airing it down when parking it shouldn't be a problem.
Bingo! The leaf spring mounts and the hangers should give me plenty of adjustment to find the sweet spot. You're right tho, Def not for articulation.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #25
Ace5n85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragn91 View Post
Ok I gotta ask what's the 32-34ish looking frame/quarter panel in the background of the one pic. If you got a cool truck and a 32-34 I'm gonna be really jelous. I just got a couple a's and a hudson and my junker crew cab
Its a pinched 32 frame and a 30 Model a coupe. Good eye man. Itll get a Caddy 331 and a Muncie. Ford 9 inch. 4 inch chop and some other stuff. My instagram is @zackover if u wanna check it out. Should go well w the truck (until the truck sells) and my 63 plymouth belvedere