The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2021, 09:02 PM   #101
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Bigass Farm Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice work on the truck and beautiful Huskies! Is Ivan a red? That sure is a pretty color on a Husky. I'm not sure I've seen one of those before.
Yes, he's reddish brown. It's not uncommon really but most people are familiar with the more classic grey, black, white coloring. I'm working on my plow truck right now so no update until I finish the axle swap.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:54 PM   #102
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I started a build thread for the plow truck too...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...68#post8915468
Old 05-01-2021, 11:40 PM   #103
400/400

Thanks for the updates!
1987 V10 TBI350/700R4/208/10/10
'85 Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643968
400/400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #104
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Plow truck is back together. Not quite done but the rest can wait a while. Time for rust repair. Again. The inner rocker was really bad but I think I got the worst of it out. Gotta trim a little more at the bottom of the B pillar then I can start fitting new metal in. The regular cab inner rocker patch is different than the original on the rear portion where it meets the B pillar so I might have to change it up a bit. But it's still the best option since the reproduction parts for a crewcab or suburban are inadequate. I'll probably have to put the door on to get it in the right position since I had to hack so much out.

Hope to have this side done in the next week. Wish me luck.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2021, 07:25 AM   #105
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Good luck!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:31 PM   #106
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I believe this front inner rocker is the worst of it and I have that done.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2021, 10:28 PM   #107
Ol Blue K20

Looks good bud, keep at it!

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 05-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #108
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I thought the inner rocker was a PITA but getting the regular cab outer rocker to fit a crewcab B pillar is worse. Going to take some persuasion.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2021, 08:28 PM   #109
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Eventually I got it close enough to satisfy my loose standards. I'm using adhesive on the gutter section and on the upper ends. The rest will get welded. That's why there's self tapping screws holding it. I'll finish the welding in the next couple days then make the little patches I need for the rear rocker, which isn't much and should be a snap.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2021, 08:34 AM   #110
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work on it! I've got a slue of rust repair ahead of me on a big blue beast. I should really get it done before it gets hot out!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:35 PM   #111
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Front rocker almost done. Just need to put some plug welds on the bottom flange. Also got the top patch done on the rear rocker. Just one patch left then put the doors on!
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2021, 07:07 AM   #112
LT7A

Looks good! You're making short work of it.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #113
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Last patch is in. My lesson learned from this was to not put the weld seam right on the bend because it's thinner there so welding and grinding causes holes, which need to be welded again. Also, believe it or not the patch steel is thicker than the OEM parts.

But it's done. I'll do a little cleaning and rattle can spray to preserve it then put the doors on this weekend. Get some insurance on it next week and take it out on the county road for a couple miles. It hasn't been out of the yard in about 5.75 years. I should probably get the fans powered up for the radiator too.

I still need to fix the driver side cab support and replace the body mount bushings but it can wait until after I put a few miles on it.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #114
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Brown
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2021, 05:41 AM   #115
Ol Blue K20

Looks good..

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 05-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #116
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Looks good..
Thanks! It ain't pretty but it's a driver again! Got the doors on this morning, cleaned the windows and got the junk out of the bed and down the road we went. Runs good. The only issues I noticed on my very brief drive was the tranny hunts between first and second during take off and there's a whining noise from the rearend when coasting down from highway speeds. Oh and the seat is too soft, I sink down too far. Wasn't planning to use the original seat but for now it's better than a crate on the floor.

Before the engine swap we timed it to 60 mph with the 454 and 400 tranny. It was about 24 seconds. A real dog. But it rode nice for a 1 ton and the big crewcab was great. Today the 0-60 was around 10-11 seconds. Not really getting on it just like getting down a freeway on ramp. And it cruised at 70 like I was in my Yukon Denali. So smooth in fact I better check the tire pressure. Lol

Lots to do yet but this was a big step today.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2021, 10:32 PM   #117
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Tonight I got the coolant fans hooked up. I wasn't 100% sure my fan relay was going to work. It came with a temp switch that goes on the engine but I wasn't going to use it. The engine harness has 2 wires for fans and the instructions say to connect to the relay ground. I took a chance that the relay ground and the temp switch wire were the same thing and it worked.

Next was using my cheap ass OBD2 code reader to finally find out why the check engine light is always on. Took a few tries to get an app that worked and make a connection with my phone but I got it. The only codes were for oxygen sensors not working. It's trying to read all 4. I only have 2 and no cats. So part of the problem is programming. The other problem is the sensors. When I was hooking them up the plugs were slightly different. I used a razor knife to get the 2 plugs to fit together knowing that they may not work but worth a try. Apparently they didn't connect. So I need to get the correct oxygen sensors and get some programming done.

Lastly I wanted to get the idle adjusted. There's a procedure in the manual for the harness and I followed it but no change. Maybe the oxygen sensors effect it? IDK but in gear it idles at 500. In park it's about 1400, way high.

So overall it's running decent and the fans work and it doesn't overheat. So insurance, get the hood on, make sure the lights all work and I'll put some miles on it. Oh and I have to get the driver door window swapped to the manual regulator. No AC so it's a must have.

Going in the right direction!!
Old 05-28-2021, 08:26 PM   #118
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got insurance on it. But it's not quite ready for a road trip. I got the driver door window regulator swapped so I have air conditioning. I bolted the seat down. Haven't done seat belts yet. And found my tailgate, which is in worse condition than I remember. And it doesn't fit. I don't remember what the deal was when I took it apart but it's an 80 and up tailgate which has different trunnions and I don't have the parts to mount it.

So I called my local parts supply, daburb, and he was out of new gates but had a decent used one for cheap. So I got that as a temporary one and will get a new one later, before paint.

Going to get the hood and grill parts on, probably tomorrow, then drive it to town and see how it goes. The new oxygen sensors will be here Tuesday. I'm still shocked that the only trouble codes were for the sensors. Junkyard engine that sat for several years before I got it running. Unknown condition other than the junkyard people saying it ran good before they pulled it.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #119
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Spent the day working on reassembly on the front end. Mismatched bolts, missing bolts, missing bulbs, broken bits, etc. Replaced the tail light lenses. The lights all seem to work but not the blinkers, the flasher isn't clicking I don't think. Got the hood on. Complete pain getting it lined up and it's still not right. Will probably have to replace the hinges. The hood release cable is broken so I can't put the grill in. Should have it next week. Went for a drive though and it rides and drives great. Brakes are a little uneven, probably from sitting so long. Got the gear noise from the rear I need to check out. A small tranny fluid leak by the radiator somewhere.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2021, 08:58 PM   #120
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

https://youtu.be/HTrWX1Lq2G8
Old 05-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #121
rgunlock

I've been enjoying watching your progress on this truck, but that video was NOT what I expected when I followed the link Lookin good!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:00 PM   #122
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
I've been enjoying watching your progress on this truck, but that video was NOT what I expected when I followed the link Lookin good!
Haha, perfect. The song popped in my head because I was going for a drive down highway 68 in my big old pickup truck. My daughters showed me that years ago and it stuck. LOL.

Didn't do a lot today. I routed some wires after getting them loomed up. Connected a ground wire that was missed for the light harness. Most of the wiring is still a loose mess but I'll work on it. I've got bigger fish to fry...

Wanted to put some miles on it and I needed some things so I asked the wife if she wanted to ride along. She brought the puppy with because he needs more exposure to the public. So we went for a bit longer drive today and had transmission problems. Thought I fixed the leak but didn't. Fixed it in the store parking lot. And added 2 quarts of tranny fluid. It didn't leak that much, it was just low because I hadn't really filled it all the way, which is one of the things I needed from the store. The leak was solved by Just using some Teflon tape on fitting threads. The bigger problem though is it loses overdrive after it warms up. And then it really hunts for gears between 2nd and 3rd at part throttle. It got me home, 40 mile round trip. Nothing is hot.

I found a website that tells how to diagnose the most common problems with the 4L80e and I think it's an electrical side issue and not mechanical. I could be wrong but the symptoms seem to indicate a sensor problem sending bad info to the ECU or a solenoid acting up. I'm going to get the codes read for it and talk to a couple mechanic friends and see if I can figure it out. Fingers crossed that I don't have to pull the tranny. I think I only paid about $400 but that doesn't mean I want to dump a grand or 2 into it now.

Picture could be titled "because roadkill". Not the first time doing repairs in a store lot. Probably not the last.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2021, 08:26 PM   #123
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Today's progress. It's got a front bumper.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2021, 07:21 AM   #124
Ol Blue K20

The bumper makes it look a lot better

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-03-2021, 10:51 PM   #125
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
The bumper makes it look a lot better
Yeah, the grille will too. I have a new one but waiting to install until after I get the new hood release cable in. Just ordered it so next week.

Also ordered a new OBD2 code reader.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PFJMTY3...R9F18B8T31MT34

Supposed to read transmission codes and other stuff. The wireless cheap one I have now will only do engine codes and is really frustrating to use because it's wifi and doesn't stay connected. I bet I had to reconnect my phone wifi to the code reader a dozen times. Eventually I got it and was able to clear the oxygen sensor codes after replacing them. New code reader gets here next week too so we'll see what I find.

Going to be a hot weekend so probably going to float in the pool more than work on trucks. I don't really have any new pics to share so instead here are pics of what I'm looking for in future projects. If you know where I can find a Chevy van, short, without a bunch of windows in fair condition let me know. Or a boat tail riviera, 71-73. Less than $2500, project cars.
Attached Images