The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Thealien

Some more LS swap issues

I set the engine in the frame today and bolted it to the transmission I already had installed with my transfer case. This is a 5.3/4L60/NP205 driveline. I had thought there might be driveshaft clearance issues being that I am at stock height and it hits!!

And after all my measuring and planning my crossmember is too close to the front differential. I have moved the crossmember and motor mounts back an additional 1 1/2 inches and it is better but I am still going to have to notch my crossmember. Glad I made it out of 1/4 wall chrome molly.

Here is how close it was the first time.

I didn't take any after pictures as I had already spent 12 hours working on my Jimmy and not much to show for it. I have some answers, not the answers I wanted but answers none the less??
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Re: Some more LS swap issues

So let me get this straight, you have two clearance issues:

1) Your front engine crossmember for the LS is dangerously close to your front axle.

2) Your front output of the transfer case is hitting the transmission pan.

That isn't good news! On issue #2 is the CV knuckle hitting or is it just the driveshaft, or both? I DO have a 6 inch lift so maybe I wouldn't be as bad off as you. Are you going to lift it a couple inches or do you have another plan to gain some clearance. Can you notch the pan some?

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Thealien

Its actually the double cardon joint that hits. That is low priority right now. If/when I get things in and running I will address the front driveshaft issue. I am hoping there is enough clearance to notch the pan. If there is not I "may" go with a single Ujoint instead of the double cardon. It may not have the durability or longevity of the double cardon but for any light four wheeling my Jimmy will ever see it should be fine?

I think I have the crossmember figured out. A little relief cut and some finish welding and we will see. I should have it ready to install some time next week. I have some loose ends to work on befor then anyway. I need to pull the cowl, I am missing a couple of the clips for the screws that hold it down. I have a NOS hood to cowl seal to install. I want to seal the old antennea hole and replace all the washer hoses and grommetts. All of that should have been done by my body guy a year ago except for the hoses but he did a lot of work for a fair price so I guess I'll give him a pass on those things!

Your lift will definately solve all crossmember issues. I bet the driveshaft is still pretty close though.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Well, good luck trimming and fitting. I have pretty much told myself I am going to have to notch the trans pan. I haven't been inside one of these yet, but hopefully there is an inch or two space around the valve body. I have a friend with a tig, so maybe I can get something straightened out.

Keep us posted!

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Hart_Rod

Sorry to hear the bad news. Which oil pan are you using?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Sorry to hear the bad news. Which oil pan are you using?
Just using the truck oil pan but that is not the problem. Where the crossmember goes around the oil pan is pretty much the thinnest part of the oil pan and I don't really seeing a diferent pan gaining me any clearance there. There doesn't seem to be any issues where the sump hangs down. Under extreme four wheeling that could become an issue (not my plans for the truck) but If extreme four wheeling was the goal I would be installing a minimum 4 inch lift which would aleviate most if not all my problems.

I should have my crossmember back in a week. I tack welded everything in place and a professional will tig the flanges and gussets in and I will post pics of the clearance then without the engine in the way.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Hart_Rod

I've got an extra truck oil pan if you need one to play with. It's brand new, came off of my suburban motor. Let me know, I'll make you a good deal on it, .
Old 03-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Thealien

Thanks but I believe swapping my truck oil pan for your truck oil pan isn't really going to help any?

I will update with progress as a few have mentioned they are interested in an LS 4X4 swap.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Thanks but I believe swapping my truck oil pan for your truck oil pan isn't really going to help any?

I will update with progress as a few have mentioned they are interested in an LS 4X4 swap.
I meant to chop on, .
Old 03-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Ackattack

the drive shaft joint is hitting the tranny oil pan, not the engine oil pan, correct?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
the drive shaft joint is hitting the tranny oil pan, not the engine oil pan, correct?
Correct
Old 03-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Correct
My bad. I was thinking it was your oil pan, , .
Old 03-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #13
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
My bad. I was thinking it was your oil pan, , .
There are 2 seperate issues.

1 is the transmission pan driveshaft issue

2 is the crossmember front differential issue. I am trying to remedy that by cutting a notch out of the custom crossmember I had made. It is 1 1/2 Chrome molly with 1/4 inch wall which I think is way overkill with the thought that I might have to take a notch out of it.

Here is a thread showing the crossmember I had made
Old 03-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
Thealien

I didn't see your post in that thread until I replied with that link here.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
eagleuh1

Still progress. Working out problems and issues is still progress. Keep at it.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #16
Thealien

Just an update. I had the engine running and moved the Jimmy under its own power yesterday. There is still lots to do ie: permanently mount the DBW pedal (and cut and weld my original pedal to it). Mount the PCM, TAC, heat and AC hoses, glove box, dash, cruise. and have the exhaust installed. I still have 2 anoying leaks that I can't seem to stop???!!

My thermostat housing leaks between the pump and housing. I have removed and replaced it 3 times and it still drips . I am thinking the housing may be bad? I may just replace the whole water pump/thermostat housing eventually.

My power steering pump is dripping from the fitting on the back (I swapped my 1972 fitting with the 2005 fitting so I could use my original hoses). I will have to pull the fitting, compare with the 2005 one and find a fix or go the AN route with the 2005 pump fitting.

But it runs
Old 05-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #17
west9378

I did not look at the start date on this thread, so I started off my post by saying

Perfect timing for the thread, my 71 K20 is at the shop for an LS and 6L90 swap from a donor 2008.
I purchased cross member from Dingo Motor Sports and the adapter from advance adapters for the transmission to transfer match.

Dingo Motorsports 1967-72 4x4 LS Conversion Cross Member/ Clam Shell / Adjustable / Black DD-LS-CM1 $454.97
Dingo Motorsports 1967-72 4x4 LS1 - LS7 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers DD-64-1302LS1 $329.95

Advance Adapters GM 6L80 / 6l90 6 Speed Automatic to GM NP205 Transfer Case 50-9551AB $762.15

I hope this is helpful,
west9378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:19 PM   #18
rowdy11

There are few times I'm glad for a lift...and clearance with the LS swap is one of those times...lots of drawbacks as well. Congrats on the progress so far and keep the progress and pictures coming!
rowdy11 is offline   Reply With Quote