The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2021, 05:48 PM   #1
MikeB

Steering shaft

Looking to shorten this steering shaft a little in order to move the steering wheel a little closer to the dash.

What's the best way to proceed? Knock out the pins with a drift and cut a little off the upper shaft? And then re-drill?

Thanks.

***I just read an older thread about this. One guy said he only had to drill out the pins because his customer wanted to push the column as far forward as possible into the dash. Looks to me like you'd have to drill out the pins (or melt the plastic) to shorten the column even 1 inch..
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 05-05-2021 at 06:05 PM.
MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:03 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Steering shaft

I believe the pins are so that the column will collapse in an accident . Guys just heat up the shaft smack it with hammer and collapse it and call it done
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:34 AM   #3
RustyPile

I did away with the upper joint in the intermediate shaft where it connects to the upper column.. I replaced it with a Borgensen U-joint and needed to lengthen the shaft about 3/4".. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the process..

Here's what I did.. No need to heat or otherwise melt the plastic.. First, those aren't pins that go through the overlapping shafts. They're just an "entrance point" to inject the plastic.. The inner shaft doesn't have holes through it. It has 4 square depressions beneath the 4 holes in the outer shaft. These depressions capture the plastic and maintain a relatively snug slip fit between the 2 shafts.. Melt, or otherwise, remove the plastic in those depressions and the 2 shafts will rattle against each other. Drill through the 4 holes just enough to penetrate the outer shaft.. Clamp the outer shaft in a vice and push the inner shaft deeper into the outer shaft until you have the length you want..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:34 AM   #4
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
I did away with the upper joint in the intermediate shaft where it connects to the upper column.. I replaced it with a Borgensen U-joint and needed to lengthen the shaft about 3/4".. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the process..
So, you used a u-joint to replace the upper coupler, the one with rubber in it? And then you slid the smaller DD shaft inside the larger shaft until you got the proper length? Did you then secure the two shafts to keep them from rattling? And how about the flexibility needed to disengage the lower shaft from the rag joint coupler?

Quote:
Here's what I did.. No need to heat or otherwise melt the plastic.. First, those aren't pins that go through the overlapping shafts. They're just an "entrance point" to inject the plastic.. The inner shaft doesn't have holes through it. It has 4 square depressions beneath the 4 holes in the outer shaft. These depressions capture the plastic and maintain a relatively snug slip fit between the 2 shafts.. Melt, or otherwise, remove the plastic in those depressions and the 2 shafts will rattle against each other. Drill through the 4 holes just enough to penetrate the outer shaft.. Clamp the outer shaft in a vice and push the inner shaft deeper into the outer shaft until you have the length you want..
OK, I think I understand that. But won't the inner shaft now be loose inside the outer shaft?
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 05-06-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:55 AM   #5
un4gvn!

I used heat on countless shafts. None rattled, or were loose. But you should know, if you have a column shift, this will NOT work. It will misalign the linkage.
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:48 AM   #6
Grumpy old man

Quote:

^ This is the way it is . I just used basically the same process to set up a new Flaming River floor shift column and be able to slide the column forward using a U-joint .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:31 AM   #7
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
So, you used a u-joint to replace the upper coupler, the one with rubber in it? And then you slid the smaller DD shaft inside the larger shaft until you got the proper length? Did you then secure the two shafts to keep them from rattling? And how about the flexibility needed to disengage the lower shaft from the rag joint coupler?
Yes, it replaced the upper joint.. I don't like that big ol' ugly coupler thingie. Years ago in the '40s. '50s, Chrysler used that same design for u-joints on their driveshafts..

I didn't need to "secure" anything.. I didn't heat, melt, or remove the plastic in those 4 square depressions on the inner shaft, just drilled the plastic from those 4 holes. The fit remains snug and therefore no rattling, but still able to slip the shafts in order to remove and/or service the other components, i.e. rag joint, upper column, and steering box......

I have an aftermarket tilt column and the shaft is DD 1" diameter.. Give me a few minutes to search the Borgensen site and I'll post a link to the joint I used.. .
Old 05-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post

OK, I think I understand that. But won't the inner shaft now be loose inside the outer shaft?
Here's a link the joint I used..
https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/produ...1&cat=2&page=1
Old 05-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #9
Grumpy old man

Here is the thread on Pickmups Flaming river floor shift tilt column and pic of the U-joint he supplies with it .

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522483
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #10
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn! View Post
But you should know, if you have a column shift, this will NOT work. It will misalign the linkage.
The truck has a column shift, but I also have this Lokar kit left over from another project. I'll get it sorted out before shortening the shaft.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #11
MikeB

Quote:

I didn't need to "secure" anything.. I didn't heat, melt, or remove the plastic in those 4 square depressions on the inner shaft, just drilled the plastic from those 4 holes. The fit remains snug and therefore no rattling, but still able to slip the shafts in order to remove and/or service the other components, i.e. rag joint, upper column, and steering box...
Thanks, that's very helpful. In fact, thanks to everyone for their comments! Now it's on to determine how to move the column forward.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #12
MikeB

BTW, I'm getting a rebuilt steering gear box from AGR. Their shop is south of Ft. Worth, about 45 miles away from me. I didn't get the quick ratio, but did get the modern valving for better feel. They are also installing one of their high pressure pumps in my old reservoir can, as well as media blasting and powder coating the can.

I used one of their boxes a few years ago in a friend's truck, and was very impressed with it. I mean it literally felt more like my Mustang GT's steering than an OE truck box. I'm also impressed with their operation and customer support. Prices are not much higher than boxes rebuilt in China by A1 Cardone and others. In fact, their basic stock rebuild uses better parts and actually costs less!

On my way to Summit Racing to pick up a rag joint coupler.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #13
MikeB

Drilled out the plastic, and was able to shorten the shaft by using penetrating oil and a BFH. Looks like I may have enough adjustment in my stock shift rod (column to trans), but have the Lokar kit if needed.

Next step is to move the column forward. I'm thinking even 1.5 inches will make a noticeable difference. Steering wheel is 15.5" inches OD from a 90s truck.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #14
Grumpy old man

Here is a picture of the inner shaft once removed from the lower , You can see the " slots " where the plastic is injected to .
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2021, 06:30 PM   #15
Bigdav160

All I've done is hit the shaft with a hammer. Done