The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question Proportioning Valves

I have the rear CPP Disc kit on my 71. It has the factory disc up front. When I ordered the rear kit I got the new CPP Proportioning Valve for Disc/Disc.

My question is:

Do they make another valve with more pressure to the rears and can you find out what numbers the one I have is. I plan to call them in the morning but was wondering if any of you knew. I was told you can get 2 versions of them. Just wondering?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
Ironangel

Re: Proportioning Valves

Yes there are a multitude of proportioning valves and since you've installed discs front and rear, there are valves designed for disc/disc application as well as MC's designed for four corner disc brakes. Kinda depends on what you want and how you want it to work. If you have a front disc, rear drum MC with a four corner disc prop. valve, you wont get the same braking effect of a later model truck with a factory four corner disc set up. You can however get an adjustable prop. valve and dial in the amount of rear to front ratio, or even get a prop. valve with independent four corner adjust-ability.(usually used for racing) Check out "The Right Stuff" get your part numbers and go shopping. I always run part numbers and names through Amazon.com because they sell the same packages as CPP, Jegs, and Summit. Check out Rock Auto too. Hard to beat they're prices and if you have "Amazon Prime" Shipping is always free and guaranteed in two days... When you call CPP, ask for the manufacturer of the valve as well as the part number...I have a feeling you have a "Right Stuff" prop. valve...That looks like this >>-->
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 09-29-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Proportioning Valves

I was told when I bought the power assit and master cylinder it was for Disc/Disc. I assume it is.

Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
Ironangel

Re: Proportioning Valves

Nice! Then your problem is you dont think your getting enough rear brake? Those valves are pre-set and cant be adjusted...It is possible that you got an off the shelf valve throwed in with an in house kit? I've been reading "not so positive" feedback involving CPP kit packages...You may have to go to a different type prop. valve, maybe one with an adjust-ability like this Note the price here then google the part number and you'll see the varying prices for the same unit. Amazon.com: Wilwood 260-11179 Proportioning... Amazon.com: Wilwood 260-11179 Proportioning...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Exclamation Re: Proportioning Valves

Well I decided this morning to check the front disc and caliper. Drivers side was good, passenger side was froze wouldn't move at all. I got a replacement one and got back together. Waiting for the wife to get home to bleed them and see if that cures the problems.
I replaced the same side back in 08 so it was free from O-Reilly's.
I went a head and put some new pads on both sides as the old ones looked pretty bad.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Proportioning Valves

Lets try this again. Maybe the pictures will load. Drivers side looked ok but not as good as I thought they should. Passenger side was cracked and looked bad.
Both sides looked glazed over to me.
Top picture is passenger side.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club