The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Mr Handy

Thumbs down Cranky Help at Napa

Why is it that every time I go to Napa the employees seem like they would rather be at their mothers funeral... maybe it's just me, but it has gotten me to the point that I drive right past and go to Advances up the street. Then I only go to napa when I can't get what I need elsewhere... Like today I needed a new gasket for my trucks rear end, and some new Wheel studs for the new axel shafts... they had to order them in, but they could get them... they tell me at Advanced that they simply cant get it... the gasket that is.
Anyway they had the studs and gasket in and waiting for me at 3:30, exactly as I was told they would be, but everyone in the place acts like I am interrupting their private conversations whenever I walk in.

I could see it if I caught one guy on a bad day, but good grief it doesn't matter what day, time, or who helps me, they just don't seem to be interested in doing business with me. I sent an email to Napa through their website, because I think its a shame that they are loosing business because their help is lazy. Sorry, I just had to vent.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 05-04-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
RHGuyettejr

Re: Cranky Help at Napa

The local NAPA around here only ever has one guy working, and the hours where posted, but sometimes it would be closed even though the hours said they where open, and when you did go in it was a ghost town with the guy hiding out back in the machine shop. I always go to parts plus which is ironically across the street. Napa is now out of business here. It is what happens when you hire people who have no concept of work ethic, just so you can save a little money on paying them.
RHGuyettejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
truckster

I stopped going to my local NAPA a long time ago unless they happen to be the only ones who have what I need. My experiences have been similar.

The manager at my local O'Reilly's knows my name and has been really good when I've needed to return parts or get warranty replacements. He even gives me a military discount without me having to ask.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Kidd-7

That sucks, I love NAPA. The guys are older and grumpier than the big chains, but that's normal parts store to me, how it always was growing up. I have more issues with Advance & the zone... Seems to be a revolving door at the zone and advance isn't very advanced 'round here...
It's all in who they hire....

71 C-10 - 307 - 3 on tree
01 Ford Explorer 5.0 v8
96 Mercury Cougar v8
79 Trans Am 403 Olds
Kidd-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
STPrider

Local parts stores are where it's at around here! You have to pay a little more, but we have a tiny little store run by one of the grumpiest-looking guys you've ever seen. He rounds everything to clean dollar values etc. We also have a province-wide parts chain, and a company with 3 stores in my city and the next one over. All of them have awesome service because they know they have to compete with the internet.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
FrankenCub

The local Napa here is great. They've always had excelent customer service, they will even deliver to my house. I don't use them much anymore because the quality of their parts has seemed to go downhill and the price still going up ridiculouse amounts.
FrankenCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Around here:

Napa: Crabby depending upon the day and the guy (forget trying to figure out if it will be a "good day" or a "bad day", or which guy will be in which cycle).
They (all three) know what they are doing and range from about 25 to 50 in age. Generally, very low on social skills....But not always.

O'Rielly's: All are nice. Good sales people. Range from about 21 to 60 in age. But they, for the most part, can't find the back of the vehicle from the front.
The ones that can will have a grumpy day from time to time and always have a 12-round fight with the computer.

What I hate is the quiz....You can't get an oil filter without going through the Inquisition..."Year, make, model, motor, trans, air or no air, paper, plastic, red sauce or brown".....
...And if you say, "Just give me a good oil filter for a Chevy 350", they'll ask you all the same questions over again. Hey! I recognize the hassle that they have to go through.
Working with the public is almost always tense, at best. "You gave me this oil filter,"....handing over an oily pile of scraps that have obviously been punctured with a 3-foot
screwdriver and then pounded flat with a ball peen...."It doesn't fit!"

Oh, well. I guess going into Napa and getting the right part, and dealing with the dark and light personality fluctuations, is better than ending up with crap that you can't use.
It's not like I'm married to those guys.

Still, it's a sad commentary on "Customer Service". Hahahahaha!!! "Customer Service!" What's THAT?

Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Customer service, overall, is not what it used to be. Seems like these days no one can say thanks or thank you. Seems like employees all know how to say "here you go" or "have a great day" but not "thanks." However,,, our local NAPA has friendly employees and the guys I've dealt with are always willing to help. I have no complain other than none of them say "thanks" either.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

I drive a extra 8 miles to go to a mom/pop NAPA store. I will not cast a shadow on a corporate NAPA store! Its like talking to a pair of boots, hiding behind the counter..

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)

Last edited by D.PASSMORE; 04-17-2013 at 10:05 PM.
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Mr Handy

Guess I'm not the only one. I was beginning to think it was just me.
I tend to go to advanced, there are a few guys at my local advanced that are great, a couple young and a couple older, they have been there a while...

the advanced a town over I end up in a lot when working on my truck at my friends house, and there are a couple really good older guys in there, not my favorite, but better then the others.

I don't go to the zone to get anything but oil for my wife's VW... Castrol synthetic 0w30, only place that carries it... the local zone is on the other side of town for Napa and Advanced...

I just don't understand how some places completely ignore the customer service side of business... and how an auto parts store does not stock gaskets for a Chevy 12 bolt rear end.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Tinkermc

You should know that each NAPA store is owned by a local person in your town. If your service is bad you should ask to speak with the owner, he can only make changes if he knows of the problem.I worked at the Local Napa for about 3 months now because of the owners husband I will buy anywhere bu8t there and drive 1.5hrs to a larger city for NAPA paint and supplies.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
lilpoindexter

The NAPAs in Southern California cater almost exclusively to fleets or garages. Sales to individuals off the street are not the norm for them. I wouldn't deal with a store that employed rude people...but I would rather have a knowledgable person behind the counter, than one that said HI! when I walked in the door, but didnt know anything about cars.
Weather its NAPA or Kragen or whomever I always find my part numbers on the internet, and write them down and just walk in and ask for XYZ part.
I hate asking for 5/8" heater hose, that I can see on the rack behind them, and having them ask YEAR MAKE AND MODEL...
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

A lot of times it isn't the guy behind the counter,,, It goes both ways you know. And yes, i am a parts counterman and have been one for 30 years. I have off days, like everyone else,, but it isn't always us. Just something for everyone to think about.
specialtyretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
68panelman

My local Napa guys are a bunch of dipsticks also, If I absolutely need to use them, i order the part useing Napa online and have it sent to their store. I usually go to the local Flaps 1000 ft away, but the have their day of being tools also. We's all humans after all!!!
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Rochlow

We have a local chain in Vermont called Bonds. My granfather used to do thousands of dollars of business a month with them from the mid 70s to the early 80s. However, a new guy started managing it and he and I rarely go in there because of the new mananger.

I was in a pinch a month ago and need some SEM seam sealer, primer and reducer. Manger is already yell at employees in the back. Employee waiting on me knew very little about the products that they carried. Well, after running up and down stairs a few times (not my fault the products were upstairs) he is all flustered and the manager gets really cranky and snaps at me "is there anything else, because I don't want my guys running up and down stair all day for you".. I said no thank you. Got my products started to leave.. The manager knew I was upset and says have a nice day as my back is to him.

Too late now.. I already think your customer service sucks..
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

So, I'm reading this and wondering, "Are any of you guys ever jerks at your jobs or is it just us hateful, out to slap babies and kill puppy dogs, auto parts people." Just throwing that out there... I know around here, every other business you go into, (besides auto parts stores) there are unicorns flying around rainbows and cherubs playing harps. The employess all know what you want before you even ask for it and beg you to take it with no charge, sometimes they offer to pay you to take it..
specialtyretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #17
LEEVON

There are no NAPA's in the near vicinity of Springfield because of O'Reilly. In Rogers, AR the Kent Rylee Chevrolet dealership which was closed due to the GM shake-up became a NAPA. Top notch! An entire dealership is now dedicated to parts 1st and service 2nd.

Gotta find a way to get through to the guys if they are grumps. Trust me, there is a way you just haven't found it yet. Even the grumpiest of old farts have something that gets them talking.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyretail View Post
So, I'm reading this and wondering, "Are any of you guys ever jerks at your jobs or is it just us hateful, out to slap babies and kill puppy dogs, auto parts people." Just throwing that out there... I know around here, every other business you go into, (besides auto parts stores) there are unicorns flying around rainbows and cherubs playing harps. The employess all know what you want before you even ask for it and beg you to take it with no charge, sometimes they offer to pay you to take it..
Well said.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

My line of work I don't have to deal with the public very much at all . That is why I'm not in jail for murder .

Generally if they are cool so am I BUT........

I had one parts man nicknamed Grumpy (that was written on his name tag). Had what I thought was an upset all the time look on his face . After a few times of him being the only guy that wasn't busy , He turned out the best go to guy in the place .
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
CC69Rat

Not playing against you guys on this one, .. I'm 110% neutral on the deal because I know I will be out numbered.

BUT

Coming from someone who has worked for an Auto Parts store (maybe some of you have too?) The people who come to the counter and expect you to be able to read their mind, and know everything about every car, ever made and to be able to take the cars apart and put them back together in your sleep .. the length of every fan belt, torque specs of every bolt .. You get the idea.

Those are the guys who would make me grumpy on the other side of the counter. NOT SAYING that's what happens but if you don't know about the parts you're asking for then the guy behind the counter may or may not either. Just sayin .. Go to AutoZone and see how many ASE Certified patches you see. These are guys making decent money to work at a parts store not Certified Mechanics. I quit AZ for this very reason. I have never claimed to be a mechanic but I am a car guy with a genuine interest in helping people.. not to be slapped across the counter because I don't know what the main bearings from an 02 Ford Taurus look like. I have a general idea, but I couldn't pick them out of a pile..

Just sayin .. Just a different perspective on it. That's all.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

To me, it's all about attitude. If someone is helpful, it goes along way with me. I know what a chore it is to work with the often "entitled" public. If someone walks in with a bad attitude, they have no basis for complaint if they get "grumpy" attitude back.

But if they come in "hat in hand", or with a friendly approach, they deserve the same.

I'm I'm in Paris right now on vacation. What a bunch of a-h's. Ratio: one nice person to 296 a-h's. And my wife and I are *respectful* travelers. The one nice one makes it okay for my wife. As for me? The minute they show me the attitude, I walk. They don't, I don't.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote