The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2022, 12:55 AM   #1
pjmoreland

Upper Control Arm Mounting Stud Convex Washer Removal

I bought a set of convex/concave washers that are thinner than stock from Performance Online to decrease my camber. I went to remove the originals, but the convex washers seem to be pressed onto knurls on the studs. I tried hammering a wedge shaped chisel behind them, but they would not budge. I'd like to remove the originals without destroying them. Any suggestions?

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...-Control-Arms/
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 02:01 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Upper Control Arm Mounting Stud Convex Washer Removal

You could try heating them w/a torch. It's possible the expansion from heat will provide enough clearance to get them off.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 02:04 PM   #3
pjmoreland

I'll give that a try. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:28 PM   #4
pjmoreland

Ok, well I failed at my original goal to remove them without wrecking them, but they are off. I think it would be possible to get them off without damage by pounding the studs out of the frame. I tried doing that, but the studs didn't want to budge at a level of hammering I was comfortable with. Instead, I welded one end of a wrist pin to the spacer and welded a nut to the other end of the wrist pin so I could use a slide hammer to remove the spacer. Not the most efficient process, but it worked, and it was clean. Another option would have been to cut the spacers with a Dremel, but I didn't want to risk damaging the crossmember or studs.

I used the original nut and some stacked up spacers to press the new spacer back onto each stud.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2022, 12:23 PM   #5
pjmoreland

I received a question about the alignment specs I was able to achieve with these thinner spacers. I haven't adjusted the alignment yet because I'm waiting until after I've replaced my steering gearbox. I do, however, have my alignment specs from before replacing the spacers. I had no shims on the front driver side stud, and I had one 1/16" shim on the other three studs to achieve the alignment shown below.

Now that I've got the thinner spacers installed, I've got an additional 3/16" worth of shims on every stud to work with. I'm hoping to achieve 6-8° caster and 0.5-1° negative camber on the next go-around, based on recommendations from this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419251

By the way, I've got 2-1/2" Western Chassis drop spindles and 1" drop springs. My control arms are stock.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2022, 05:45 PM   #6
blacknwhitedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I received a question about the alignment specs I was able to achieve with these thinner spacers. I haven't adjusted the alignment yet because I'm waiting until after I've replaced my steering gearbox. I do, however, have my alignment specs from before replacing the spacers. I had no shims on the front driver side stud, and I had one 1/16" shim on the other three studs to achieve the alignment shown below.

Now that I've got the thinner spacers installed, I've got an additional 3/16" worth of shims on every stud to work with. I'm hoping to achieve 6-8° caster and 0.5-1° negative camber on the next go-around, based on recommendations from this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419251

By the way, I've got 2-1/2" Western Chassis drop spindles and 1" drop springs. My control arms are stock.
Thanks for the update..I was thinking of going to PB lower arms but if I can eek out 5-6 degrees of caster and a little bit of negative camber using the thinner spacers and stock arms that would work for me.
blacknwhitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:46 PM   #7
pjmoreland

It's going to be a couple of months before I get around to replacing my steering gearbox. I will report back with my alignment results once I have them.