The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2022, 07:22 PM   #1
DoubleL

Engine gasket and carb kit recommendations

I have a stock 283 and am going to replace all the engine gaskets (not pulling the heads though). I am also going to rebuild the 4 barrel aftermarket edelbrock carb. Do you have suggestion for good kits that won't break the bank? Thank you!

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=835095
DoubleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:10 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Engine gasket and carb kit recommendations

Fel-Pro for the gaskets, that and the carb kit can be got at JEG'S or wherever. I never had a problem with the "stock" E-Brock carb kits, which I bought at the local parts store.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:14 PM   #3
67C10Step

Engine in or engine out? This past winter I took on the project if replacing the oil pan gasket on my 67 with the engine still in the truck. It can be done but takes some doing, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I would recommend the FelPro permaseal gasket for the oil pan. Believe I used FelPro rubber gaskets on the valve covers as well.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:54 PM   #4
DoubleL

Geez, it's not an edelbrock it is a rochester quadrajet. Is that a decent carb? I'm trying to do it in the truck but I am pulling all the panels off the front and converting to power steering and power disc brakes this winter.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:45 PM   #5
67C10Step

Wish I would have went ahead and did the power steering when I rebuilt my front end and converted to power disc. That my winter project this year. I will undo a bit but improve in the long run.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:48 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If it is a q-jet, buy a kit from Cliff Ruggles, and get his book on rebuilding them, while you are at it. It'll run better than you might believe, and his kits have parts resistant to the alcohol-added fuels. He's retired, but you can get what you need at the website. I've gotten kits for carburetors that had parts I've never seen in a generic parts store kit. Work with the people on the website so that you only have to buy and pay shipping once. This wasn't an issue for me, as I have rebuilt probably a 1/2 ton of carburetors, but these people can steer you right.

https://cliffshighperformance.com/si....php?board=5.0

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:06 PM   #7
MARKDTN

So the gaskets you need are intake, carb, valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, exhaust? You could probably individually piece it together from the parts store but an FEL-260-1000 complete gasket kit is like $40 from Summit or Jegs and only $44 from Autozone. You would have all the gaskets you need plus head gaskets.

As far as the Quadra-bog, good luck. I have tried building several with limited success. The last ones I have let the pros do it and have been much happier. The Qjet is a great carb when it is done right. My advice is let somebody who does them every day build it for you. But unless I am mistaken the 283s did not have a Q-jet option? Of course the intake is easy to swap, but wonder what it originally came on?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:43 PM   #8
DoubleL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Wish I would have went ahead and did the power steering when I rebuilt my front end and converted to power disc. That my winter project this year. I will undo a bit but improve in the long run.
I forgot to mention that I will be converting to power steering I just need to get some Cptnfabs brackets.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:45 PM   #9
DoubleL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
So the gaskets you need are intake, carb, valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, exhaust? You could probably individually piece it together from the parts store but an FEL-260-1000 complete gasket kit is like $40 from Summit or Jegs and only $44 from Autozone. You would have all the gaskets you need plus head gaskets.

As far as the Quadra-bog, good luck. I have tried building several with limited success. The last ones I have let the pros do it and have been much happier. The Qjet is a great carb when it is done right. My advice is let somebody who does them every day build it for you. But unless I am mistaken the 283s did not have a Q-jet option? Of course the intake is easy to swap, but wonder what it originally came on?
Thank you! I still have the original 2 barrel with the manifold. The PO stuck the 4 barrel and manifold on. Would it be crazy to put the 2 barrel back on ?

Old 08-09-2022, 03:46 PM   #10
DoubleL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
If it is a q-jet, buy a kit from Cliff Ruggles, and get his book on rebuilding them, while you are at it. It'll run better than you might believe, and his kits have parts resistant to the alcohol-added fuels. He's retired, but you can get what you need at the website. I've gotten kits for carburetors that had parts I've never seen in a generic parts store kit. Work with the people on the website so that you only have to buy and pay shipping once. This wasn't an issue for me, as I have rebuilt probably a 1/2 ton of carburetors, but these people can steer you right.

Thanks, if I rebuild this I will do exactly that.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:33 PM   #11
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post

I did exactly that. Came out great. Take your time, and take a ton of pics on disassembly. Be methodical. It will work out. I had never done one before.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:34 AM   #12
cwcarpenter98

I had a Rochester 2Jet on my 283. It wasn't bad, but I got a couple mpgs better when I switched to a Quadrajet. The secondaries opening up sounds great too
I also got even better mpgs when swapping in an overdrive, but that's a whole nother discussion.

On the oil pan gasket, make sure you get the correct one! There's two different thicknesses for the pan to timing cover part of the seal. I found out the hard way on that one and had to remove the oil pan with the engine in the truck. Wasn't fun. Since you're planning on removing the front sheet metal, it won't be much of a challenge to get the engine on a stand, re-seal, and then repaint while it's out

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote