The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #76
HunterRotten

Re: The Hawaiian Blue 1978 GMC.

HUNTER'S 1978 GMC C15 SIERRA BUILD THREAD

Now, I'm not sure just how well this encapsulator works but I figured a little bit is better than nothing. While that piece was cut out from the fender well I poked my phone up there with the camera and it was scaley scaley! I put a big leather glove on and went at it the best I could with a cheap wire brush and then stuck this can in there with a nozzle. It did a pretty good job at coating everything.

For some reason I didn't take a photo of the inside of the bedside, maybe because it was wet. In my last photo you can see it got all the way up inside of the bedrails as it oozed out from the holes previous owners drilled and the ones for my nice rails.

HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #77
TKCR

Keep at it!! It's coming along great.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #78
HunterRotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Keep at it!! It's coming along great.
Thanks!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #79
dec010974

Hey, it looks good. I cant wait until your finished. I am working on the same truck as we speak. I'm running a LSx swap 5.3/4L60E. I don't think my truck will turn out as good as yours though.
Attached Images

dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #80
HunterRotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec010974 View Post
Hey, it looks good. I cant wait until your finished. I am working on the same truck as we speak. I'm running a LSx swap 5.3/4L60E. I don't think my truck will turn out as good as yours though.
Cool truck, nice stance. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #81
HunterRotten

I guess now is time to share a little bit on the progress made on the 454. We took the block down to my dads old workplace, who is being kind enough to let us use this equipment on a block that really didn't deserve it. This is my first engine build of any kind so getting to see all of this was really cool. In the end the block is bored .060 over and has two sleeves installed.

This is the first cylinder that received a sleeve. These sleeves were all installed because of some relatively severe rust damage to the top of the cylinder walls, which can be see in the next picture. I was pretty bummed that the block turned out this bad and we both learned out lessons. Probably should have taken the heads off before leaving but it was cold and we were a long way from home.

Installing the sleeve was pretty straight forward. Take out all the material in the cylinder until the sleeve fits, leaving a step at the bottom so the sleeve doesn't somehow suck itself down into the block and grenade everything later. Little bit of WD-40 and a hammer was all it took.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #82
HunterRotten

Now, once that sleeve was done.. you guessed it. One more sleeve, fun!! We actually spent about 12 hours at this shop just doing the cylinders and decking the block. I understand why usually sleeves aren't worth it now....

You probably get the picture from here. It was the same procedure as the last. Once it was said and done the block looked pretty good but I was concerned about how obvious the sleeves looked, and to my surprise after decking the top of the block you'd never know the difference.

And after a long 10-12 or so hours of work, I had a really clean and brand new looking block. Then my dad and I had to go to actual work.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #83
LT7A

I really enjoy following your process on this truck. It's going to be really nice and a lot of fun to drive. You guys are doing a great job of working your way through it. I thought that 454 was going to be a lost cause but I'm glad you had a way to save it. You turned it into a sculpture, nice work.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #84
HunterRotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I really enjoy following your process on this truck. It's going to be really nice and a lot of fun to drive. You guys are doing a great job of working your way through it. I thought that 454 was going to be a lost cause but I'm glad you had a way to save it. You turned it into a sculpture, nice work.
It was a little less than ideal, I bet it would have cost anyone else a fortune. Thanks for reading!

Well, since I have the big block on the way I decided that it would probably be a good idea to do dual tanks. This is something else we always just kind of joked around about (kind of like the big block) that ended up coming true. 16 gallons with a 468 doesn't sound like I can pass a gas station. Two saddle tanks means 32 gallons, sounds a lot better!!

I bought a patch from Krazy Ray here on the forums, the same guy I also bought my bed floor cutouts and also this really nice core support. There's not even battery tray rust on this one!!

We did some rough measuring of the center of the hole on the passenger side (where my original tank was) to line up where the new one on the driver side should go, it worked pretty good. I can't believe we cut a hole in the bedside after all that work!!

Old 08-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #85
HunterRotten

It had started to get busy around here and has absolutely stayed that way. We still find time to (routinely) visit the body shop once a week to see what the status is. It's taken a loooong but I get it, he's busy and this is just the deal I set up to save some money. Well, finally after some months.. SOME COLOR!!! I was excited. It looked great, little bit of peel but it hadn't been touched since it left the booth. Cab was still primer but it was looking good!

Last edited by HunterRotten; 08-06-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #86
HunterRotten

Time for the next little installment, the continuation of dual tanks. As always, it took a bit of research on our part in order to get all of the correct parts. I am planning to use the new Holley Sniper EFI unit on the new engine and that complicated the whole thing a little more than expected.

I bought tanks and sending units off of Rock Auto. These are for 1987 trucks so they have the baffle in the tanks. (it looks like a disposable turkey pan) The point of the baffle is so that the electric fuel pumps will always have fuel around them. They were Spectre brand and really reasonably price, made in Canada.

Part # SQ GM11C for the tanks (Rockauto)
Part # SQ FG05M & SPE FG05N for the sending units (Rockauto)

I then did some research and decided that walbro 255 LPH pumps would work for me. (Part # GSS342 on Amazon.) I also got two little installation kits that were really useful.

Some other minor things I got from rock auto was passenger side tank straps since mine were a little rough. The driver side tank brackets and straps I got from KrazyRay blew my mind and were in great shape. I didn't even paint them.

The tanks went on pretty straight forward, holes were already on the frame. I used some anti squeak tape on the straps, but it really didn't want to stick due to the tanks wax coating.

There was some wiring to be done on the sending units. The '87 plugs were no where near the same as the ones on the pumps, as you can see in the follow pictures. So, we replaced all of the electrical in the sending unit with the wire that came with the installation kit from amazon.

One thing to note is that we had to "dimple" the bottom of the tanks so that the electric fuel pump wouldn't rattle against the tank and cause an annoying resonance.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #87
HunterRotten

Here's something I found a little interesting, both of these filler necks are from 1978 trucks. The difference is one is East Coast and the other is from the West Coast. My truck has a little flapper in the filler neck and the one from the West Coast does not.

Filler necks are something that we haven't really come to a conclusion on. We're thinking about welding the ends off of later model filler necks or using 2 sizes of hose and an adapter from this website. The reason you have to do this is that the filler necks are fatter on the later trucks and these are '87 tanks. My bedside does not have doors.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #88
HunterRotten

Time for a quick little detour on what's going on with that crusty old big block. Last time I posted about it we got a LOT done and it looked brand new. It sat in the corner of the garage for a few months until we found time. In the meantime we were figuring out dual tanks and I was collecting parts. I ordered my camshaft, pistons, and rods. Original plan was to use the original rods but I found a GREAT deal on some used rods on ebay.

I know what you're thinking, USED RODS?! Well, I was a bit skeptical too but it was worth the risk, in the end I got a set of 8 Eagle SIR6135B rods for $100.00 + shipping, they had ARP rod bolts already. They magnafluxed great, too!

I got some Wiseco forged pistons from Skipwhite on ebay, found here. Part number KP430A6.

The camshaft I got from Chris Straub over at Straub technologies. It was recommended to me here on the forums. They were pretty easy to work with. I told him what I wanted out of my engine and he told me what I needed. I'll be honest and say I got "It'll be there next week" emails for a few weeks. That's alright, though. I was in no hurry. It's a hydraulic roller cam. 510/510 216/228 112LSA. Should ride very nice!

Last edited by HunterRotten; 08-29-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #89
HunterRotten

Sorry for the picture of a screen, but it's all I have available to me at this moment. Here is what the dyno simulator we picked up says we should be around. I'll have to get a new picture later with more accurate information entered.

Last edited by HunterRotten; 08-27-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:13 PM   #90
Zook75

WOW you guys are doing this truck the right way.. nice.
Zook75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #91
daddyjeep

What is the plan for the 8 ball?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #92
HunterRotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zook75 View Post
WOW you guys are doing this truck the right way.. nice.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
What is the plan for the 8 ball?

Haha, I figured someone would point out the 8 ball when I made that post. I'm not sure how it made it's way into the pic. Those boxes are on the pool table. We have an old 8 ball that's been drilled to go on a shifter somewhere though..
Old 09-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #93
HunterRotten

A few days after those rods got in I "forced" a free morning open and steered my dad and I over to the machine shop for another round of machining. We got the block honed and we also go the rods numbered and magnafluxed during this visit.

We have one more trip to do still where we get the cam bearings in and the bottom end balanced. I am planning on using the flywheel I got for the small block on the big block, but SB is internal balance and the BB is external. I bought a external weight kit for it, found here. (Part # 560222 from McLeod)

Old 09-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #94
HunterRotten

The following weekend, I was ready to get the block off the ground and on the stand. I'm pretty cheap if you haven't noticed yet. I like my money and I like to hunt for the bottom dollar deals. We have an engine stand that really didn't like to roll and was really floppy with the small block, I convinced my dad to weld it up, add a brace, and attach some larger more heavy duty casters. I now have my "4x4" engine stand ready for service.

And of course immediately after that was done we picked up the bare block and put it on the stand. I wanted to paint it and I wasn't set on a color nor did I want to wait. GM blue isn't easy to come by and I have about 7 cans of Hawaiian/Medium Blue mixed up (from Sherwin Williams) in the garage.. soo body color it is. Kind of looks like ford blue but I'm ok with that. I finished up the can of high heat primer from when I previously painted the small block.

Kind of a big difference from what it was when I got my hands on it in the first place!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #95
HunterRotten

Back to fuel lines! I bought fuel lines from inline tube because I thought it would be easier but some thought was still required. This picture sums up what we decided we needed to do.

The fuel line installation was pretty straight forward, just used adele clamps to mount them up to the truck the same way we did the stainless brake lines in the past. They are rubbing against the engine mount but we pushed them in as much as we could and added some of that felt backed tape. The crossmember behind the rear cab mounts is something I quickly bought from off the forums and once again it was a California part that really didn't need any paint. After installation we were waiting on the arrival of the rubber lines, gmachinz's dual tank wiring harness, and the oetiker clamps.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #96
HunterRotten

While we waited for the fuel parts to arrive I was looking for things to keep busy. Some time ago we had come across a private yard that was REALLY overgrown and not organized in the slightest. It went like this; You give him a couple dollars and he tours you through his dad's land first, and then his. The grass and briars are about chest high and I made the mistake the first time by wearing shorts.

We went here a few times for all kinds of small parts, glass, etc. The last trip in we found this new truck he hadn't showed us before and he probably forgot about himself. It was a GMC Royal Sierra and it had a broken grille like mine. The first two pictures are my original grille which is only missing one piece with no cracks, and the last picture is the one I got from the yard immediately after pulling it out.

Basically we broke a good piece off of this abused donor and made it match the best we could before using plastic adhesive.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #97
HunterRotten

I'm going to apologize now if the last few posts have seemed inconclusive or lacking in content but I am really excited to share the paint on my cab! It looks GREAT and I really like how the raptor liner came out on the underside.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #98
TKCR

That is awesome work your doing on that truck. Great find and repair on the grille. Now you just to get it cleaned and painted, and it will look great.
The paint job, WOW!! I bet your getting pretty excited about it, no doubt. Keep them pictures coming.

BTW, remember your tan seat? I'm sure you do, LOL. Well here it is all restored and recovered. I recovered it with Silver Velour Deluxe & Black Vinyl.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 09-02-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #99
TKCR

Speaking of seats, I know you found some 90's style seats for your build. I would really like to see an original seat in your GMC. But that's just my opinion, lol.
Here's what a GMC seat would look like. But of course it can be covered in blue, so it would match.
GMC seats are just a tad different than the Chevy, because of the stainless steel hinge plate.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #100
HunterRotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Speaking of seats, I know you found some 90's style seats for your build. I would really like to see an original seat in your GMC. But that's just my opinion, lol.
Here's what a GMC seat would look like. But of course it can be covered in blue, so it would match.
GMC seats are just a tad different than the Chevy, because of the stainless steel hinge plate.
Sorry TK, I know you do a pretty good job on the seats but I'm sold and keeping my 60/40 bench. I like it a lot better than the solid bench seats. They will be mounted on a solid rail and will slide like a solid bench, though. I do think I am going to have it reupholstered with a matching medium blue vinyl and Highlander blue plaid from older 67-72 trucks on the inserts.