The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

Are Ingersoll Rand good air compressors?

folks I hope you can help me out and please know when it comes to air compressors I know nothing (some stand up some lay down) there's the single pumpers and the two stage double pumpers and 110 volters and 220 volters that's all I know

I see an Ingersoll Rand on Craigslist for $700 and before I pull the trigger and finally treat myself to a proper air compressor I would like to know if these are any good, it says ASSEMBLED IN USA (as opposed to Made in USA) on it

Biggest need is to use it for my small media blast cabinet and maybe some painting, not really for impact wrenchin'

wish I had the model # for you but it don't say, I'll add it up here when he tells me

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: Are Ingersoll Rand good air compressors?

No personal experience with an Ingersoll / Rand air compressor but has always been my understanding they are one of the better ones out there. If the pic is of the actual compressor in question it looks to be in good condition and perhaps a newer unit? If you can get the model number I would do a Google search and see what it sells for new to decide if the $700 is a fair price for a used unit with no warranty. Looks similar to my 60 gallon upright Coleman 7 HP 220 volt unit. I like the upright tanks for the space concerns. Mine is a single stage unit but runs an impact just fine. Use mine a LOT when connected to my bead blast cabinet. Also for the usual airing tires, cleaning off the ZTR after get done mowing my two acres. A good air compressor is VERY handy in the garage or shop. Good luck with your buying decision.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
Blue GMC

Another one with no experience with IR but my body shop had two IR air compressor hooked up for all their air tools this was also 10+ years ago
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

No complaints about my IR 60gal..been running for about 20yrs...only thing I've replaced was the pressure switch
Got mine at tractor supply

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

There commercial grade stuff is legit, and high quality. So it likely carries over across the line.

My current job has 3 giant ones for processing, and I have used them in pneumatic systems
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
There commercial grade stuff is legit, and high quality. So it likely carries over across the line.
Not sure about that, I recall when DeWalt made quality tools, ha ha and then they started the cheap stuff
Old 10-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
Richardwa

Ingersoll-rand makes other brands compressors also. My 60 gallon Husky from home depot is a rebranded IR
1972 Plymouth Roadrunner
1965 Buick Skylark GS
1972 Chevy El Camino
Richardwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #8
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardwa View Post
Ingersoll-rand makes other brands compressors also. My 60 gallon Husky from home depot is a rebranded IR
Oh wow! that is very interesting
Old 10-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #9
Grumpy old man

Looks like one of mine I bought about 8 years ago on sale at tractor supply $650.00 Model SS4L5 5 HP 220 60 gallon , Works perfect from day 1 . I set it up right next to my circuit breaker box on a 30 amp breaker and good cable / plug . about $120.00 for accessories . Handles all my air tools / sanders ,Etc I have a Black Max 80 gallon for blasting and long use sanding .

DON'T LAY STAND UP AIR COMPRESSORS DOWN ONCE YOU HAVE FILLED THEM WITH OIL .

$850.00 new at tractor supply

info - https://www.ingersollrand.com/en-us/...perience/ss4l5
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #10
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Looks like one of mine I bought about 8 years ago on sale at tractor supply $650.00 Model SS4L5 5 HP 220 60 gallon , Works perfect from day 1 . I set it up right next to my circuit breaker box on a 30 amp breaker and good cable / plug . about $120.00 for accessories . Handles all my air tools / sanders ,Etc I have a Black Max 80 gallon for blasting and long use sanding .

DON'T LAY STAND UP AIR COMPRESSORS DOWN ONCE YOU HAVE FILLED THEM WITH OIL .

$850.00 new at tractor supply

info - https://www.ingersollrand.com/en-us/...perience/ss4l5
Thank you so much, Ah so if it's the same one it's a Single Stage, I would prefer a two stage for my small media blasting cabinet
Old 10-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #11
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
Thank you so much, Ah so if it's the same one it's a Single Stage, I would prefer a two stage for my small media blasting cabinet
Mine works fine using my Harbor freight blast cabinet , Once you get to 60 gallon capacity the compressor will just cycle more . I'm not a fan of using pvc air lines , I know a lot of guys do but if you've ever seen it blow you wouldn't .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:29 PM   #12
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Mines not a 2 stage

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563

Last edited by mongocanfly; 10-07-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #13
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Mines 2 stage
thanks Greg, can you share your part number please and thank you
Old 10-07-2021, 12:51 PM   #14
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Mine works fine using my Harbor freight blast cabinet , Once you get to 60 gallon capacity the compressor will just cycle more . I'm not a fan of using pvc air lines , I know a lot of guys do but if you've ever seen it blow you wouldn't .
I wouldn't use PVC either. I used black pipe on mine (I forget what it was called). I had a 60 gallon Campbell Hausfeld. I may still have it. It's at my rental house. I ran out of room on the truck when I moved And I was out of time, so I left it behind.

My C.H. was a good unit. I think my ex paid something like 400 bucks for it. (Birthday present) But that was a long time ago when she still loved me. I'm sure that they are more now.

I would price new ones. You might have to pony up a couple of extra bucks but you could get it delivered and really be able to pick what you want.

"Assembled in America" I don't think that you can get away from that these days. Everything is farmed out.

I just bought a new Milwaukee drill. I thought it was a good brand. I've always bought DeWalt before. It didn't work right out of the box. I returned it. I don't know if brand names mean anything anymore.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:56 PM   #15
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I just bought a new Milwaukee drill. I thought it was a good brand. I've always bought DeWalt before. It didn't work right out of the box. I returned it. I don't know if brand names mean anything anymore.
That sucks, but what a great example I have two old corded Milwaukee drills a 3/8ths and a 1/2" and they work amazing even have the quick disconnect long power cords, so awesome, but they are at least 20 years old
Old 10-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #16
Big Kev-O

I have used and maintained lots of Ingersoll Rand compressors throughout my career and have seen very few failures. The only ones I have seen fail ran continuously 24/7 for at least 10-20 years. I think Grumpy is correct, it looks like the SS4L5 sold at Tractor Supply that is currently priced at $849($921 with sales tax where I live). If it is a SS4L5 $700 is a fair price if it has not been used very much. $600-650 would make happy. Check the condition of the oil on the dipstick and if its pitch black that thing has seen some hours. If you loosen the plug on the bottom of the tank I would expect to see a little rust in the water but not much since it looks fairly new. You won't have a warranty but IR has rebuild kits available should you have a problem.

I don't like black pipe due to rust issues. Cooper is my preference but it's expensive. I would choose schedule 80 PVC over black pipe.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #17
ky-donzi

Hello

I can’t tell for sure in your picture what it is but it looks like a unit I had: IR 60 gal upright 3hp unit. As purchased at Lowe’s

The unit I had had a China compressor head that was to ok at best, over the course of 2 years it didn’t air up as quickly reed valves began to leak I believe

The motor was “U.S. motors” brand that was made in Mexico. Motor crapped out in a year or so. I replaced it with a used 2hp baldor that outperformed the original.

I replaced it with a Quincy

At work we have a 200 gal screw IR compressor that is constantly down

I would be skeptical of a IR these days ...it’s ashame.

You may be better looking for a 30+ year old compressor to rebuild, or spend serious money for a champion or a quiency

My 2 cents

73 k5 gm crate 350-265 / sm465 / np205 3.73 posi
ky-donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #18
mr.mud1

just my 2 cents worth,as said there's lots of these compressors rebranded and sold all over the place.in Canada,we have Princess Auto,our version of Harbor Freight.i bought 2 from them over the years,Campbell-Hausfield which was always a good brand.5 HP vertical 60 gallon tanks but when you look at the tag on the motor,it runs at 2800 or 3000 RPM or there abouts instead of 1750 RPM.they buzz them right up to make more power but they don't last.the pumps wear out or the electric motor gives up and because they run so fast,the air is very warm and you're draining water out of it all the time.this is,at least my experience with cheap compressors.i bought a used Saylor-Beal 5 HP compressor a few years ago,made in Michigan since 1904 or so it says on the tag, with a real 5 HP electric motor that runs at 1750 RPM and a huge pump as big as a Buick.i think it was made in the 80's and will make air for as long as i need it to,i'm sure.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:33 PM   #19
Low Elco

Mine's a 2 stage 5 horse IR L30. Works great! Knock, Knock. Have mine hooked to a 1/2" nylon line kit for my whole shop and house.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:20 PM   #20
LS short box

I've had my 2 stage for 20 plus years. It is a DeVilibes? I'm sure its a rebranded something. 220 volt. 80 gallon tank. Has been bullet proof.
If you have the cash, voltage and space I would go two stage.
Also in the the MPLS area there is company that rebuilds air compressors and have rebuilt units for sale.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:20 PM   #21
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I earlier mistakenly said mine was a 2 stage...its only single stage
Heres the labeling on it
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 10-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #22
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

CFM and Duty-Cycle are the most important factors to consider when looking at compressors. Many of the big box store type units are lacking in both due to cost cutting measures. They have less efficient pumps and cheaper motors, but for the average joe-homeowner, they are "good enough", to some degree.
Most guys don't use them very often, but they over-use them when they do. This results in a machine that gets abused infrequently enough to survive a while.
The lower Duty-Cycle is the worst part, some are as low as 20%. Then they put larger tanks on them to seem like you are getting something. In reality, at 20%, you should only be running for 12 minutes per hour. With a cheap compressor, having a low end pump, that is basically filling the tank (from empty) and then not running again for an hour? Not likely.
Some guys go all crazy with adding extra tanks to increase volume, but this is hard on things too. It make the pump run a lot longer when it is cycled on. This creates a lot of heat, which causes condensation as the air cools again, also not good.

A smaller unit, with a better pump and higher Duty Cycle, may be a better buy. It will run more often, but it isn't hurting itself in the process.

All of this depends on how often you use it and how long each time. Blasting and painting are big air hogs, so plan accordingly.

Air lines are another big topic.
Some guys don't like iron because of the rust factor, but there are ways to deal with that, and in some areas of the country, it's a non-issue anyway. It is a little more difficult to add or re-arrange drops, if you need to.

Copper is crazy expensive, but it's fantastic. The place where I worked as a mechanic, back in the 80s, had it everywhere, never an issue of any kind.

PVC, is cheap and it does work....for a while. When I first started at the shop where I work now, they had PVC. It was fine, until that "one time" when someone hit it. When PVC fails, it is catastrophic. This can be dangerous.

Where we are now is all aluminum. To me, it's the best of all worlds. It's not cheap, but not horrible either, it is very easy to deal with and doesn't have the safety issues of the cheaper alternatives.

One piece of advice, if you intend to have more than one drop and ever have the possibility of more than one person using air at one time, run your main line as a loop. This prevents pressure drops when someone else uses the air at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:58 AM   #23
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
That sucks, but what a great example I have two old corded Milwaukee drills a 3/8ths and a 1/2" and they work amazing even have the quick disconnect long power cords, so awesome, but they are at least 20 years old
I have had a Milwaukee Sawzall for about twenty years. It still works perfectly. I guess things just aren't what they used to be. It's a shame.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:09 AM   #24
Nick_R_23

My IR compressor is a 1990 model - 31 years old - and still going strong.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #25
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive had one for yearts mine works great

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote