The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2022, 09:27 PM   #1
Marty68

throttle pedal cable or linkage

Hello truck lovers.
i have not posted for quite a while. i own a 51 gmc. i got it with a 66 283/ stock suspension trans rear end. over the few years i have owned it i had suspension replaced with M2/coil reat. tremec 5 speed.
a couple months ago the 283 deleloped chronic loss of compression. i swapped it with a mild build 350.
the intake manifold is taller than the stock 283. i am having dificulty getting the solid numerous bend rod to work correctly. it at rest hith the firewall and full gas pedal depress the rod hits the head.

my question is what have you guys used? i have accuried an 87" s10 throttle cable and pedal. but mounting it may be more dificult than desired.
thoughts pictures are apriciated here are a couple pictures
Attached Images

Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:21 AM   #2
youngrodder

Re: throttle pedal cable or linkage

You could just go with a Lokar throttle cable. They offer several lengths and are pretty any carburetor end connection.

https://www.amazon.com/Lokar-TC-1000...9961172&sr=8-3

They also offer several brackets to attach to the base of the carb. Their stuff is spendy but their solutions work.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #3
Marty68

I do not understand how that or any cable will work with existing stock pedal. can't push a cable. is there some sort of bel crank I am not envisioning?
Old 08-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #4
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty68 View Post
I do not understand how that or any cable will work with existing stock pedal. can't push a cable. is there some sort of bel crank I am not envisioning?
I guess more details such as the throttle pedal you are using would help. It might be easier to go with an aftermarket pedal and cable, but I'm just spit balling with the details we have.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:57 PM   #5
Marty68

I currently have what I believe is the original pedal pivots on floor. pushes a rod. that rod is bent several times pushing the carburator linkage. forward. .. my understanding is to run a cable you need a pedal that pulls the cable..

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 08-08-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:15 PM   #6
mr48chev

I bought a clone of this Lokar throttle pedal and cable for my 48 a couple of years on Ebay. Positively a clone as I paid about 60 dollars for it. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar...BoCk5cQAvD_BwE

That puts the pedal in the stock location and should eliminate hassles of cable routing.

I think I have a Mustang II pedal in the 48 now but have had a half dozen gas pedals in it over the years and some are just flat not comfortable. One I actually put in late one week and took out the next Monday after a road trip of a couple hundred miles as it was so uncomfortable.

The one I bought is very similar to this one and may be from the same manufacture. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20260982815...3ABFBM-pni6s9g

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #7
Marty68

this mounts to firewall where stock pedal mounts?
Old 08-08-2022, 02:36 PM   #8
Marty68

so you did not like this pedal? why? looking at it looks fairly simple.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:50 PM   #9
Rickysnickers

Marty68, keep your comments clean. This is a family friendly forum and we do not need those types of comments I edited out.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:12 PM   #10
Marty68

rickydnickerd. inappropriate comments? unless auto correct did something I am unaware. thank you for editing. I personally did NOT type anything inappropriate. and sincerely apologize for any perceived or inadvertent post

Last edited by Marty68; 08-08-2022 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added not for clarification
Old 08-08-2022, 04:25 PM   #11
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty68 View Post
this mounts to firewall where stock pedal mounts?
Yes, I don't have it in yet, it is one of those many pieces I accumulated for the build. It should sit right were the stock pedal did and foot wise work as the stock pedal did.

I probably had as many gas pedals as seats in my truck over the 49 years I have had it. A couple were horribly uncomfortable. The one in it now isn't all that bad for comfort but just is not what I want.

That said the truck has been a slow build as life got in the way more than once. Not having a decent indoor work space has a lot to do with it.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:47 PM   #12
Marty68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Yes, I don't have it in yet, it is one of those many pieces I accumulated for the build. It should sit right were the stock pedal did and foot wise work as the stock pedal did.

I probably had as many gas pedals as seats in my truck over the 49 years I have had it. A couple were horribly uncomfortable. The one in it now isn't all that bad for comfort but just is not what I want.

That said the truck has been a slow build as life got in the way more than once. Not having a decent indoor work space has a lot to do with it.
i have read a lot of your posts and replies. i respect your thoughts and opinions. i may not be able to EASILY use that pedal. the small block was plced to mate to the original 4 speed. now the 350 in it i had to massage the firewall for the hei. AND the tall valve covers that house the roller rockers... we chose that route instead of moving everything forward an inch or two. with that being said i would need tiny fingers to bolt that pedal to the firewall . i am contemplating this version https://www.amazon.com/CFR-Performan...s%2C161&sr=8-5. the pedal con be swapped side to sade as well is the differing length "arms" this may allow me to stay within the "flat" of the firewall..
i may also try modifying the s10 pedal i OWN
Marty
Old 08-08-2022, 07:19 PM   #13
mr48chev

Boy howdy, I didn't even think about having to borrow some tiny fingers to install one but I have a 292 six and may have more finger room than with the small block. Now I need to go dig that one out of the garage and take it out and set it up in one of my cabs and see exactly where it will go. It should mount just below the hole for the rod that is on the original pedal.

The thing is that I have fought with uncomfortable pedal angles so much that I hate to see anyone else have to deal with it. I found out 50 years ago that if one builds a car or truck that isn't comfortable to drive it just flat doesn't get driven much. Some of those local rods or trucks that you see at local events every year but never see at the nifty events 50 or more miles from home unless they are trailered there. My buddy's Model A roadster was a prime example. He was shorter legged than me and had small feet and could drive it pretty easily and we did some long distance runs in it but I had to drive it 30 miles home from a show one night because he ended up in the hospital with kidney stones during an indoor show and his wife asked me to drive it back to their place. The only time I drove that car more than a couple miles but that was as far as I wanted to drive it.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:34 PM   #14
e015475

Here's mine on my '49 FWIW

It is a home-made version of the one in the previous post, but wider for the throttle on the right side of the motor. Under the pedal is a metal roller off of a sliding-glass door and the pedal bolts/pivots to the transmission cover.

The cable I used is a universal brake cable for a bicycle. The lead slug at the end of the cable fits my throttle body perfectly. There's a 1/16" hole through the firewall for the cable to pass through. The cable is secured to the inside mechanism with a VW Bug throttle cable barrel nut.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote