The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2002, 04:22 PM   #1
>X<
registered IWATA user

My Truck Killed 3 Times On Way Home

truck wouldnt start at school, got a jump and it ran fine. (i have changed starter soeniod, batery and alternator in last 2 weeks) sio i fugure battery is screwed. on the way home it killed at a red light, had t push it off roadup hill in to lot, not fun. i run an elec fuel pump so can teh battery be so dead that it wont get any power to teh pump? i pray that thats why it killed. called a friend and he jumped me, ran good for 5 miles, the killed when i slowed down to turn, when i turned the key nothing at all would happen. jumped it(friend followed me home) and it ran till i got a mile from house. it started to bog down real bad when i gave it gas, so isaid screw it and gave it gas, it killed. puteh cables on it and floored it and it did fine, pulled up in driveway and it killed. that was 5 minutes ago, takin the batt to walmart since i go tt frm tehre and gettin it checked, hopefully its jsut that, i get scared hen the motor kills, dont wan tto rebuild it, any thoughts? thnks

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 06:22 PM   #2
>X<
registered IWATA user

traded the battery for a 875 cranking amp batt. hopefully that was all that was wrong

Old 09-17-2002, 06:27 PM   #3
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Have you checked the voltage regulator?
RED72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 06:33 PM   #4
Southpa

You'd better check a few things before driving again. Run a voltmeter across the two battery poles while the engine is running. If the reading is less than 12 v then you are not getting enough juice from the alternator to charge up the battery. A good reading should be around 13.8 V. The end result will be another dead battery.

I went through the same thing quite a few years ago, rebuilt the alt. new battery, voltage regulator etc. Was still only getting 11V across the battery. I suspect it was a grounding problem so the simplest solution was to run a heavy wire directly from the alt to the pos. battery pole. By bypassing the short I made sure the battery got full charging potential. Everything runs fine and there are no side effects. This was about 6 yrs. ago.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 09:01 PM   #5
>X<
registered IWATA user

i m the process of shaving all my side marker lights adn fornt turn signal lights, so maybe i didnt seal a wire good ehough ant its grounding or something