The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
MudBug

Re: Spiders

Fiddle backs are hard to kill because they walk on the points of their legs.The poisons sprayed depend on them to drag across the stuff.I over bomb when I use spray bombs.
MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #27
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

The Brown Recluse is said to be in about 90% of homes in the midwest, they get there name because they are hard to spot..they dont make webs like other spiders and hide in the deepest darkest spots until disturbed. There was a case a few years ago here where a woman got a towel out of a closet to dry her fase, and was bitten on the nose by one..she lost her nose completly! heres a few pics of a mans hand that got bitten.

Day 5 6 9 and 10
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #28
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Nasty stuff there! Here in western Washington we have the Hobo spiders; also poisonous. Fairly common
tunnel weaver and not actually agressive to people unless buggered with.

Luckily, we also have a large spider called the agressive house spider and, though it can bite, it doesn't
pack the wollup of the Hobo. Big, nasty looking guys but we are lucky we have these spiders as the Hobo
is one of it's common prey and they are slowly nudging out the Hobo population.

This one is male. Females are larger and don't have the bulbous things on the front of them.
Attached Images

ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #29
1BadAction

Oh hai!

1BadAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #30
LEX

Man, why did I come back to visit this thread!

I ended up using 3 Raid fumigators and so far so good, but still cautious.
LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #31
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

ok. Never thought I'd say this but maybe spiders aren't so bad.

I just now learned there is such a thing as a house centipede.
Pulled up a YouTube of a house centipede vs a big spider.

GROSS!
Old 05-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #32
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

Do not try this intentionally. I grew up getting bitten by Black widows as I serviced old brake systems, over and over again but these were young ones, maybe just out of their eggs. I usually found the dessicated mother after seeing the egg sacs and feeling itchy from the bites. Well after a bunch of these little bites I guess I developed an immunity to adult Black Widow bites, because when one happened all I got was a rash and one big pimple. When I moved East about ten years ago I had an occasion to test my ability with a brown recluse, and just got a bunch of pimples. I can't swear I'm still immune, and still keep my eyes open and show respect for the spiders. If I had to get rid of some, I'd try their natural predator. That means snakes or the lizard idea mentioned earlier. I've known a few people who've suffered the whole scenario pictured earlier from a brown recluse bite and don't want to risk that happening just from being pig-headed--take precautions! But being disadvantaged, doing things the hard way and having a tough childhood does have some advantages I guess.

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #33
Mike Bradbury

Out here in California we have a hybred of the Black Widow called the Brown Widow. It has the same extremely strong web (that is a tell tale sign that a widow is close by), as well as the red hourglass spot. The dangerous thing about the Brown's is they do not mind being out in the open, where the Black widows like to be in dark cool areas. They have a very unique egg sack that looks like an old style ocean mine. Their bite is every bit as toxic as the their black cousin. I torch everyone I see.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
Dunenutt
Newbee

Thanks Guys... For a bad case of the HeeBeeJeeBees.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #35
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

I’m glad you brought up the spider egg subject Mike.

For those of us who ship or receive parts from around the country (or world), it’s imperative we
check closely for egg sacs or plant parts and twigs.

Especially in our coastal regions, where the weather is so temperate, we are very prone to introducing
non-native species to our areas which our native predators and pathogens are ill suited to handling.

As in the case of Mike’s Brown Widow, I would hate to flip over an old chair just to find one of
these nasties leering at me...indeed a safety concern.

As mentioned, encouraging natural controls is often best as bugs have a habit of becoming
conditioned to chemical controls which can eventually make them even harder to control.

And Good Morning to you Dunenutt!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #36
Mike Bradbury

Better to have the hee bee gee bees than to have a thumb that looks like that

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #37
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Better to have the hee bee gee bees than to have a thumb that looks like that
Truth!
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #38
72chevyk10
I built it

now i feel itchy, and more paranoid then usual... thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #39
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN View Post
The Brown Recluse is said to be in about 90% of homes in the midwest, they get there name because they are hard to spot..they dont make webs like other spiders and hide in the deepest darkest spots until disturbed. There was a case a few years ago here where a woman got a towel out of a closet to dry her fase, and was bitten on the nose by one..she lost her nose completly! heres a few pics of a mans hand that got bitten.

Day 5 6 9 and 10
I'm in the medical field and I'm a paramedic of 13 years and work in 2 emergency rooms part time. This is an extreme case for this particular guy not getting treated in time. If he would have noticed his thumb swelling and getting hard from all of the tissue necrosis(rot) and purulence(puss) inside and gone to the hospital in the early days, say 2-3 days, a doctor would have lanced it(cut) with a scalpel, drained it and injected it with an antibiotic. Trust me, 90% of the cases that go to the hospital in time only go so far as to look as this guys hand did on day 5. Most people will go to the hospital by then from all of the pain and itching.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #40
wilkin250r

I don't "hate" spiders, but I don't like it when they become a nuisance. Every so often I'll find a fresh hatch in my garage with several hundred of them little buggers just hanging around. I usually use real quick bursts with the ol' starter fluid and lighter trick. It's dangerous, I know (just keep them bursts real short), and I don't recommend my method to anyone. Sure gets rid of them in a hurry, though.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #41
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETsC10 View Post
For those of us who ship or receive parts from around the country (or world), it’s imperative we
check closely for egg sacs or plant parts and twigs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin250r View Post
Every so often I'll find a fresh hatch in my garage with several hundred of them little buggers just hanging around. I usually use real quick bursts with the ol' starter fluid and lighter trick. It's dangerous, I know (just keep them bursts real short), and I don't recommend my method to anyone.
Brought another junker in the shop and it must have been loaded with sacks
because I have little spideys everywhere. Lucky my son hates spiders so he is on "kill mode" I've gotten 2 hatches just as they started to stir.
I was using my Mapp gas torch. I forbid Jr. from using it.
I think they are just garden spiders but still, they gotta go!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #42
michael bustamante

my ol lady got bit in the butt cheek by a recluse, there pretty common her in NM . after 2 days it was hot and hard a a rock. they lanced it while she was awake. only a shot of local. i felt so bad for her. i got bit by a black widow in 05 and had a reaction to it but nothing like hers.
word to the wise, before you get your stuff out of storagfe throw a bug bomb in there!!!, same with collecting a barn find
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #43
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

I have seen all kinds of spiders all over the world and now after reading this I am going to go bomb my entire shop (30 X40 w/ 22' eve)!!!!! Thanks guys... I am itching all over and checking everything (and I am at work! People think I am crazy!) LMAO
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #44
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Thanks a bunch Tex for ttt this thread.

JUST when I was getting over the heebe-jeebies...
Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #45
67lowered

I run into black widows alot at work, I use BeeBop, its wasp spray, After a day of seeing them, being around them, I itch, and always brush my clothes anytime I feel anything!!
67lowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:24 AM   #46
jhaymon

why is everyone so scared of spiders? they do a job and if you dont mess with them they wont mess with you. there are only 2-3 spiders in the US even dangerous to humans.a black widow is rarely lethal and it takes hours for symptoms to even start showing up. they wont bite unless the female is protecting an egg sack and only the female will bite. as far as a brown recluse, well the pic on the first page i dont think was one. that was just an ordinary cellar spider. a brown recluse has 3 eyes and that one only has 2. im more scared of tick and mosquito bites.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #47
CC69Rat

Not sure why exactly .. but this thread reminded me of something.

http://www.27bslash6.com/overdue.html

Some may have seen this before, but you really should read this.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #48
Zeke's Garage

CC69Rat.. I love the David Thorne emails.. thanks for reminding me of them.

I've been fortunate to only have black widows in the storage shed (They love to get underneath and inside of stored wheels). I mostly have the horrific jumping wolf spiders that occasionally roam across the floor when I'm lying on the bare floor trying to hold up a starter, transmission or complete crossmember, making it impossible to run away screaming. They don't do any harm so far, and they do seem to keep the other bugs from over-running me.

The worst ones are the huge brown garden spiders that build their webs all around the shop at night and allow me to go face first into them every chance I get.

I get into the habit now of walking slowly while making crazy full arm karate chops in an attempt to keep them out of my mouth. That along with the screaming at my tools, cars, or sh!te songs on the radio at 1am, I'm sure my neighbors have lots to talk about.
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #49
Billett

Haven't had a terrible run in so far but when you mentioned the arm karate it reminded me of my parents house. They always have spider webs all over the entrances to their house. You can walk through hit a spider web, make that hilarious face and try to swipe it all off, and then ten minutes later there's a web there again. We decided to adopt a method we like to call the shark fin and just keep a hand in front of our faces when walking anywhere that might be connected by webs haha
Posted via Mobile Device
2012 JKU - Funkmaster Flex 2.5" BB, 33" A/Ts
2004 HCH - HYBRID POWAHH
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #50
CC69Rat

I have only seen one Black Widow in my life and it was close to the water hose downspout down in some leaves. I hear they like cool damp places .. This one met a size 14 real quick.

<shivers> ... I hate spiders.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote