The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
mcbassin
Still Learning

Original Bucket seats installation????

I'm trying to drill the holes in my cab for original bucket seats. I'm looking for some pictures of the braces and alignment of the seats. Anyone document their installation? I have the material to make the braces but would kinda like to see some originals.
Are the outside front holes used on LH and RH seat mounts? Thanks
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: Original Bucket seats installation????

Here are some pictures of what I'm looking at.
Notice that the seats are touching the center console on the sides with
the bolts in the outer stock bench seat holes.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
jocko

subscribed. Always thought they used the same holes as the bench seat - so, therefore, I have no clue.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
subscribed. Always thought they used the same holes as the bench seat - so, therefore, I have no clue.
I have always thought that too but, it just doesn't look right. The driver side inside mount hits the tranny tunnel raised area before the bolt will fit in the hole too. I can force it in there but it's tight.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
71 super

if you look there are dimples in non bucket seat floors for bucket seat location. There are also dimples in the center floor pan for the console as well. The only direct bolt in is the the buddy bucket seats, all others must be drilled to fit.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
if you look there are dimples in non bucket seat floors for bucket seat location. There are also dimples in the center floor pan for the console as well. The only direct bolt in is the the buddy bucket seats, all others must be drilled to fit.
I don't have my cab here to confirm this, but it appears that the dimples refered to are visible in a couple of your pictures outboard of the seat brackets. Looks like 1/2"-3/4" out from the existing holes. This is consistent with where my original buckets were mounted from the factory.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
I found two dimples for the console caddy corner from each other. I saw one in the rear on the driver side that looked like it might be close to what I need. So basically, no matter what the bench seat cabs will need all the holes drilled?

Any chance any of you experts have some pictures of your original buckets or a measurement from the seat bracket to the center edge of the radius?
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I don't have my cab here to confirm this, but it appears that the dimples refered to are visible in a couple of your pictures outboard of the seat brackets. Looks like 1/2"-3/4" out from the existing holes. This is consistent with where my original buckets were mounted from the factory.
You may be right. There are some dimples that look like spot welds. Any chance you have any pictures of your seats in relation to the console from an overhead view like looking through the back window or windshield? I would like to see what the gaps are between the seats and the console. thanks

These look like dimples in the picture here:
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
FirstOwner69

Those are the ones I was referring to. I don't have any pictures that would help, and the truck is currently disassembled and 2000 miles away. If you can wait about 3 weeks I can get pics. However, I estimate the seats are about 3/8"-1/2" away from the console. I have some shots with the seats installed but from a 45 degree angle... not much help.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #10
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Those are the ones I was referring to. I don't have any pictures that would help, and the truck is currently disassembled and 2000 miles away. If you can wait about 3 weeks I can get pics. However, I estimate the seats are about 3/8"-1/2" away from the console. I have some shots with the seats installed but from a 45 degree angle... not much help.
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate all the info I get from guys on this board. I have never installed these so I kinda want it to be right. I already drilled the pass. side. But I'm pretty sure they are wrong. I can't wait 3 weeks but thanks anyway. I have seen some 45 and side shots and you really can't see the gaps or lack of. thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #11
FirstOwner69

I found this old thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=352079

Perhaps post 8 will help. I'm still searching for others.

Jim
Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #12
FirstOwner69

Here's another thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367549
Old 03-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Hi Mike, I have owned decent share of these trucks over the years and done a few 69-72 truck bench to bucket conversions in them years and have not came across any floor pans having the dimples already in place for drilling the bucket seat mounting bolt holes, maybe that was a regional/plant type of deal. I'll give this a shot to the best of my knowledge, when using the 69-72 truck bucket bracket setups and when going into an original bench seat truck cab, there is only one hole of the eight in the bench cab floor pan that's already in the correct place and that you are going to use when bolting the bucket mounts in. The one bolt hole (only one in correct location) that you should use is the RH fwd. most outer bolt hole, so it would be the pass. side fixed mounted bucket fwd. RH bolt, you will need to drill the other eleven mounting bolt holes. I have had these pictures of an OE option #A50 bucket seat floor pan that were taken for another member and then stuck away in a saved folder, not sure if they will help you dimensionally as they don't have any measurements but the pics do highlight all twelve of the bucket seat bracket mounting bolt holes and they also show how the factory used pan head filler screws to plug the other bench seat mounting bolt holes. The bottom view pictures highlight the factory added bucket seat cab only floor cross support & extra bracing. Hope this post and pics can get ya headed in the right direction, Mel.

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #14
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Last five B/S floor pan pics...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Bowties View Post
Hi Mike, I have owned decent share of these trucks over the years and done a few 69-72 truck bench to bucket conversions in them years and have not came across any floor pans having the dimples already in place for drilling the bucket seat mounting bolt holes, maybe that was a regional/plant type of deal. I'll give this a shot to the best of my knowledge, when using the 69-72 truck bucket bracket setups and when going into an original bench seat truck cab, there is only one hole of the eight in the bench cab floor pan that's already in the correct place and that you are going to use when bolting the bucket mounts in. The one bolt hole (only one in correct location) that you should use is the RH fwd. most outer bolt hole, so it would be the pass. side fixed mounted bucket fwd. RH bolt, you will need to drill the other eleven mounting bolt holes. I have had these pictures of an OE option #A50 bucket seat floor pan that were taken for another member and then stuck away in a saved folder, not sure if they will help you dimensionally as they don't have any measurements but the pics do highlight all twelve of the bucket seat bracket mounting bolt holes and they also show how the factory used pan head filler screws to plug the other bench seat mounting bolt holes. The bottom view pictures highlight the factory added bucket seat cab only floor cross support & extra bracing. Hope this post and pics can get ya headed in the right direction, Mel.
Mel,
Thank you so much. This is exactly the information I was looking for. What you are saying is my pass. side holes I already drilled are in the right position. I only used the outer front hole and then marked the other three with it bolted down in that one hole. I'm assuming the driver side mount setup is wider becaus the outer holes need to go outward about 3/4-1" in your picture. Do you happen to know what the gap was at the center console between the seats on both sides? Also, when you installed these buckets on bench trucks did you fabricate that front brace that runs across the bottom of the rib at the front mounting position? thanks for the help.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
Lee H

Quote:
My 72 had these dimples, once drilled my buckets and console fit right in.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #17
mcbassin
Still Learning

Okay, I bit the bullet and went with Mel's suggestion from the original bucket seat floor pan. Although I didn't build the brace that ties the two sides together I did make some braces from some old ball bearing drawer slides. They are the exact thickness and near the same width and depth. Here are the pictures of what I did in case someone else can use it. If you look at the pictures, you'll notice I moved the driver side hole pattern outward 3/4". this made the two seats the same distance from the edge of the seat to the door opening symetrical. It also made it where the driver side seat isn't bound up against the console.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #18
mcbassin
Still Learning

More pictures

Old 03-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Nice work Mike. Very clean.

I would add a cross support similar to stock.

I am concerned the center of the floor isn't designed for the load of the central seat mounts and would stretch out or crack over time if left unsupported.
You really think it's necessary or just extra insurance? That rib that runs across the front is pretty stiff just by design. I would like to fab one up, I have already thrown a bunch of time at this though. I will look at it tonight.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
You really think it's necessary or just extra insurance?
Hey Mike, judging by your pics, you are already well above and beyond the under side bracing found on most of the bucket converted truck cabs that I have seen. What about the question I had asked you in post #23? Mel
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #21
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeduk8r View Post
Great thread!!! Been looking for this info layed out like this for a long time. Im wondering if there would be a market for a kit that would supply the tabs, cross support, and paper template for the conversion???? I dont have the manufacturing capability to make the parts (press brakes are way to cheap) but if someone does maybe might be an opportunity.
--Mike
Hey Mike, member "Duncan & Son" already reproduce the brackets for underneath the cab. The only piece not reproduced is the big middle brace. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

nice work Mike
I am going to keep this one for future refrence

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
chipflyer

I will add that the big middle brace can be found and removed from any early blazer, got mine from teeitup. Randy usually cuts them out when he parts out a blazer. If you get this piece you can use it as a template to drill the front holes in the correct location and then either use panel adhesive or weld it in. This piece really takes all the guess work out of where the holes should be.

Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #24
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipflyer View Post
I will add that the big middle brace can be found and removed from any early blazer, got mine from teeitup. Randy usually cuts them out when he parts out a blazer. If you get this piece you can use it as a template to drill the front holes in the correct location and then either use panel adhesive or weld it in. This piece really takes all the guess work out of where the holes should be.

Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device
Funny story Jeff, down at the Wichita swap meet I tried telling roger that he didn't have all the brackets for a bucket seat swap and tried to tell him and ron about the big cross member Brace. They acted like I had no idea what I was talking about. Can't fool truck board members.
Posted via Mobile Device
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #25
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Hey Mike,

On mine, I used the outside front holes and then marked the locations with a Sharpie so I would have the locations exactly right with these seats. In the process of drilling I noticed the dimples that others have seen.

Anyway, I went ahead and used the outside fronts as they would be more secure than what I rigged up, and the console just barely touches the seats at the front corners. Not snug at all. *shrug*
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote