The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
Ironhorse

Amplifier Recommendations?

Just recently purchased a Sanyo FXCD 550 am/fm Cassette/Cd unit off of eBay. Brand new still in the box. Plans are to mount it in my '71 Chevelle SS that some PO cut the dash to mount a CD unit. While a repair to the plastic dash to mount a stock shaft unit is not impossible I need a donor Chevelle dash. Have not found one so far so will use this unit since it would slip right in place. Plus I have a lot of music cassettes so a three way unit like this is just the ticket. Plans are for Pioneer tri-axial (150 watt) in rear deck and Rockford/Fosgate 3" Punch speakers in dash area. Not a stereo guy so need some input on a good, reliable amplifier to use. The Sanyo has 200 watts total output (50 watts x 4 channels) , 2 pairs of RCA line-outs, detachable front panel, bass expander and a host of other features. I know this is not a "truck" audio question but an amp is an amp is an amp.....

I'm thinking a 250-300 watt 4 channel amp? Any input from you stereo guru's is much apprecated.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Amplifier Recommendations?

You don't need an amp to power the speakers you have.

If you are dead set on amplified power, an ARC Audio KS300.4 is right up your alley. If you plan to add a sub or two, a KS900.6 is what I would recommend.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
Classic69
Love That '69

Re: Amplifier Recommendations?

Depends on what you want to do (ie. standard, mild, wild):

Standard Setup: Just hook up your headunit to the speakers and let that power them. It will be enough to satisfy.

Mild Setup: Get about a 300W 4-channel amp to power the front/rear speakers. It will be louder, have less distortion at louder volume, and be a lot clearer.

Wild Setup: Get a +600W 4-channel amp to power the front/rear speakers. It will be extremely loud, have practically no distortion at any volume, and be crystal clear at almost all volume levels.

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates

Last edited by Classic69; 01-06-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote