The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2023, 03:44 AM   #24
RustyPile

Re: Let's Talk about In-Cab Reproduction Gas Tanks and EEC vs non-EEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by K10-Kansas View Post
I have an EEC tank but I don't have 3 lines in the floor of the cab. I have 2. I have 1 fuel line and 1 vapor line. Does anyone know about these 3 lines?
I read through this old thread and most of the information is pure bologny and false, erroneous information.. The fuel pump has nothing to do with the EEC system. They are two totally separate systems not connected together in any way..

Starting at the fuel pump, there are 2 variations.. One pump has 2 connections - the rubber line coming from the sending unit in the tank, which is the pump suction line. This line draws fuel out of the tank. The other fitting (a flare type fitting) on the pump is connected to the line that delivers fuel to the carburetor. If you have only one line connection on the sending unit, this is probably the fuel delivery system you have.

The other fuel pump has 3 connections.. Two of the connections work as described above. The 3rd connection is a 1/4" nipple. it serves as a fuel return through a line back to the tank. This recirculation serves to keep fuel moving at a faster rate to help prevent vapor lock. This line runs basically parallel to the suction line all the way back to the tank sending unit.

The EEC system is a fuel vapor only system.. There is a nipple on the gas tank in the upper corner on the passenger side of the tank.. This nipple has a rubber hose connecting to a steel pipe that runs up through the B pillar and back down through the floor in the area where the liquid fuel lines pass through the floor. This line continues along the frame rail to the front and connects to the charcoal cannister located under the battery. Coming off the canister are 2 more vacuum lines connecting to vacuum control pieces on the engine.

The simple facts are:
#1- If you have 3 connections on the fuel pump and 2 on the sending unit, you have fuel recirculation plumbing..

#2- If you have that nipple on the upper passenger side of the tank, you have an EEC system. If the EEC system components are in place and working, you will need a non-vented gas cap for the system to properly function.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote