The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
68mg

Rust Inhibitors - Anyone used these Products

I'm looking for some type of rust inhibitor that will slow down the rust formation in hidden cavities like between the front inner and outer roof panels or the rocker panels. The KBS Cavity Coater and 3M Cavity Wax Plus both have long wands which I could put through the Visor Hole for the that roof cavity and that hole in the front of the rocker to do those. Are there better products for already rusty areas like these that you can't clean first that have these long wands or can be used with some sort of sprayer?

I did a quick search on this forum and found these products mentioned in this link being used during repairs when you can clean off the areas, but I haven't found anything about how they work with already rusty areas

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=735737

These areas in my trucks don't show signs of rust on the outside, but I know there's rust in there and just want to slow it down.
Attached Images

68mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Rust Inhibitors - Anyone used these Products

Biggest thing that will slow it down is dry and clean. The moss, dirt, broken down leaves all hold moisture in those hidden areas.

Plain ole motor oil may suit you better, I had an area under the front wheel fender and the under the fender I had soaked in wd40. It was super clean and had kept the rust at bay for over 10 years.

Old timers used motor oil on the underside of their chassis for years in the farm belt, linseed oil also.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

At work I have used Fluid Film as protection from rust and corrosion on ocean going tugboats. It works good but must be reapplied from time to time. Plus it is biodegradable and non toxic.
On my Burban I went with a more toxic product POR15. I used a paint sprayer with a flexible wand to get in the nooks and crannies. See the link for more information. After 30k plus miles I am satisfied with the results. Not 100% protection but like you mentioned there is no way to clean the areas beforehand.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=698377
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #4
geunther

I have applied the 3M cavity wax on my 72 and on a CJ. Where the wax was on my CJ kept the finish free from any corrosion. I like to use it with the long wands to get into the nooks.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:28 PM   #5
DA71Grande

Anybody ever try NH oil

https://nhoilundercoating.com/

71 Sierra Grande C25
16 Sierra 2500HD All Terrain
23 Chevy Tahoe Z71

https://paypal.me/digdug7131?locale.x=en_US
DA71Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
Hotcorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
At work I have used Fluid Film as protection from rust and corrosion on ocean going tugboats. It works good but must be reapplied from time to time. Plus it is biodegradable and non toxic.
On my Burban I went with a more toxic product POR15. I used a paint sprayer with a flexible wand to get in the nooks and crannies. See the link for more information. After 30k plus miles I am satisfied with the results. Not 100% protection but like you mentioned there is no way to clean the areas beforehand.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=698377
I have done same. Sometimes it’s under the name of Wool Wax. It will last quite a long time if you don’t drive it in the rain/snow. Otherwise I think it’s an annual ritual. Has lasted a couple of years on my garage queen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hotcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #7
MJN

I used Rust Veto 342 before. Sprays on as a liquid and will run into seams and cavities but dry to a wax. Seems to be good stuff and is holding up well.
https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosm...st-preventive/
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:05 PM   #8
Greasey Harley

Another vote for Fluid-Film
Old 10-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #9
pwdcougar

I've used both Fluid Film and waste oil. Also on my Cougars I used something from Rogo products that was in spray cans. I'll have to look downstairs in the cabinet to see what the name was. It was similar to the Fluid Film but not as goopy. The waste oil worked great on my 97 Silverado but it made a mess of the driveway. It got sprayed on with a regular paint gun after being thinned a bit with kerosene. After application I'd take the truck up to a local dirt road and race around in the dust. My thought was that the dust would stick to the oil and it would stay in place longer. The truck is a daily driver that has never been garaged and it has very little rust.
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:18 PM   #10
davischevy

I use 3M Cavity Wax.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:36 AM   #11
68mg

Thanks for all the responses, they'll really help me decide which product to use. When I first got the 69 Maroon C20, I resealed the cab's drip edge since it looked like it might have been leaking. Now I want to try to slow down any rusting cause that's one repair I really want to avoid.

Today I thought i'd use one of those Harbor Freight Inspection cameras that I had for checking out engine cylinders/pistons and take a look at that roof cavity. There's some rust, but doesn't look too bad for a 50+ year old truck.
Attached Images

68mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #12
68 C10 Driver

WaxOyl is my go-to product. I have used it on my MG cars over the years. it is a wax based product that has rust converter and inhibitors integrated into it. It sprays on using an applicator that has a long flexible tube to get into areas like the roof cavity, rockers, etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by 68 C10 Driver; 10-28-2021 at 02:41 PM.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:08 PM   #13
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
I used Rust Veto 342 before. Sprays on as a liquid and will run into seams and cavities but dry to a wax. Seems to be good stuff and is holding up well.
https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosm...st-preventive/
This is what I use. I coated the underside of my car in 2015 when I bought it new. 6 years of year around driving in salt and snow in Ohio and the stuff is still on the bottom of the car with no rust.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote