The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
FenceSence

New guy from NV

Hello all. I'm hoping to have a build thread going soon. I've got a '72 K10 SWB. I've owned it since '91. It was my first vehicle. I bought it off my stepfather who picked it up in '73 with a spun main. He had a 202 head 327 built for it and it stayed in there until 2002 when I put a 350 in it. I'm sure I'm going to hell for that one but, it's gone now. It's been cocooned for the last 8years. I was going to restore it then but, a couple new kids and an economy crash squashed that. I had it media blasted and sealed to keep it from completely rusting away. It's pretty rough at the moment in the floors, bed, rocker panels, lower doors and cab corners all rusting through. It is however, complete. I'm contemplating wether to rebuild the motor myself of just get a crate motor for it. That is a long way off though. It's got a turbo 350w/ shift kit and 12 bolt posi. 2 1/2" lift and snug top camper shell. The shell is staying with it. Any comments, suggestions or opinions on where to start, what to keep or what to scrap on any of it are welcome. I plan on taking it down to the frame but beyond that, I'm pretty green. This will be my first and possibly last resto. Thanks.

Nick
FenceSence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
FenceSence

Re: New guy from NV

One from just before it was cacooned...
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
FenceSence

Currently safe and dry although only really being used to store vintage waterskis and stuff and some random snow ski stuff. Shameful, I know.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
FenceSence

Mild 350, Edelbrock quadrasuck on rpm performer, Thorley Tri Ys, stupid alternator bracket.

Sorry about the one at time pics. Can't seem to get more than one uploaded at a time.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
68c10airstream

Welcome Nick, this is your one stop shop for opinions and info. Nice project to take your time and do it your way. A gm crate v8 from jegs and others will potentially get you vortec heads and a roller cam and roller block. Vortec fast burn heads get decent power from pump gas at about 9+ to 1 compression. I opted for an ls and gm fuel injection but it costs at least twice the amount if you do it yourself.

Obviously the ls craze is the way to go for many reasons, the only downside is cost. I don't think anybody would say after an ls install and drive "gee I wish I would have stayed with my old carb and old small block." The reasons we do what we do to these trucks is because the small block was fantastic at the time and the trucks were quality. I like to modernize it. As a past ase dealer mechanic I was having my fill with carbs so when fuel injection came out I jumped on the bandwagon early on. Good luck with your project, keep us posted
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
FenceSence

^^^Thanks. I have lofty visions of an 8 stack efi setup in there. Can't have a dream come true unless you have a dream.