The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
custom10nut

Flushing a gas tank

Other than pulling the tank, is there a way to flush my gas tank? I have rust flakes from it sitting for time I was stationed in Europe. In the future I will be relocating it with a Blazer tank, but for now I just want to get rid of the residue.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Flushing a gas tank

I've always had to take mine to a radiator shop for a boil out and coating.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, I'm not sure you could ever do a good flush w/o removing. And, to deal with the scale it needs more than just flushing the gas out. For just bad full I've been to lazy to remove seat and tank (not much to it, really) and have "purged" it, not flushed. Disconnected the hose from the line at the tank, drain, put cap on, blow air into line (pressurizing tank), pull nozzle away, and let it belch. I do that till noting but a little spit comes out, put a couple gallons of fresh in, and repeat. I figure whatever is left in there is now 1/2 as bad as it was and the tank gets filled with fuel with Sea Foam. If there is scale you will never be out of the woods w/o taking to a radiator shop. Mount an extra filter and figure on carrying extras. The more clogged filters, the closer to a ruined pump you'll get

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-15-2016 at 10:21 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
Kw69

First, you said that you were stationed over seas, so military right? If so Thank u for serving. I would pull the fuel tank cause it's so easy to do and have the radiator shop clean it and line it. Then replace all the fuel lines cause they be cheap and easy. I just did this for my truck, cost me 116.00 at the shop to have them clean it and line it. And another 100.000 or so for all new lines. At least everything is new, and when you get the new tank then your able to sale the old one and get some money for it since you had it done right...I had lots of rust floating through my system, it was from the tank and the lines. Despite my efforts in trying to stop it with extra filtration, it did not help out. I pulled the carb and had it cleaned. When I saw it opened .... Wow... What a lot of crud from the tank and fuel lines.. Just my experience, hopes this helps.