The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool Help! Please, hood will not close...

Help! My hood won't close I had to run a chain through it to close it. Changed the hood latch, still no difference. Thanks for the advice!

'84 c10
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Help! Please, hood will not close...

if nothing is obviously getting in the way then the hood latch or hinges are out of height adjustment assuming the latch is good

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
cfan10

Looked at the hood this morning and the driver side is slightly curved where the hood hinge attaches by the windshield. Thanks!
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:42 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

get the braces if its a 73-80 better also look for good hinges

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:51 AM   #5
LBJ

cfan10, After those factory hood springs ruined TWO HOODS on my '77 Bonanza, I finally took them off and now use a broom stick to hold the hood open. Those springs belong on a Mack Truck for crying out loud! It's not as bad as it sounds, as you really don't lift the hood that often. Throw the stick in the back end and it's always there. Don't get a puny stick though, your head will be sorry if you do and it snaps. The THIRD hood is the last hood, I hope. The last one was around $350 plus $300 to paint. Tired of that crap. Ha.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Her first post says 84 C10, is not a taco'd hood.

So by not closing, do you mean it will not even close on the safety latch? Is the striker totally missing the latch? Is the striker on the hood damaged?
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #7
dieseldawg142

was your replacement latch new? or used?
went threw this last yr, new hinges, new cable.
the pin that holds the locking mechanism was way loose & the locks would not engage properly to hold the hood down. chucked it in the vise & carefully swaged it 'till it was tight . works perfect now
Name:  s-l225.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  8.5 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote