The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #26
LT7A

Re: Inexpensive Mod: Improves Acceleration, Braking, Handling, AND Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Lighten it up a bit.........
Wow! Have you got any more pictures or info on that? So many problems with what I see there, but it is kind of cool to see an idea taken to an extreme. The car has no passenger or rear seat, and the dashboard is gone too. I'm distracted by the fact that they tinted or painted over the headlights, and I can't help but wonder how badly it whistles at speed. And truthfully, how many pounds would you save by all of those holes in the sheet metal? Probably less than 30. Maybe less than 25. But it is interesting to see it taken to an extreme.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:28 AM   #27
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
It's pretty much dead on, too.

I race index classes, so you spend the whole weekend trying to run the same number (whether it's nice out, or about to rain, or if a tornado is about to sweep through).

A lot of the guys control their time by adding and subtracting weight.

K
Interesting, that makes sense to me. it does seem that you would want to try to have your reaction time and shift points and the human variables to be as consistent and "automated" as possible. But track conditions and weather conditions would mean that you would have some way to make an adjustment in order to keep your ET consistent. Cool, never thought about all of that.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:44 AM   #28
LT7A

The funny thing about getting into this is that there are people that will tell you that you can't exercise enough to lose weight. And then there are other people that will say, if you exercise enough, doesn't matter what you eat. They're both kind of right and kind of wrong. I think keeping a balance will be most effective. I think eating well supports some exercise and activity in general. And moderate exercise makes you want more to eat healthy.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #29
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Lighten it up a bit.........
I bet that thing whistles like crazy going down the road.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #30
Warrens69GMC

No more info, was posted on Reddit at one time
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:04 PM   #31
BRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
...And then I realized I could have an improvement like that -for free- in each one of my vehicles - by losing weight off of me.
...right.

Very easy to install, but very difficult to remove later.

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:32 PM   #32
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
How in the heck can that possibly be enforceable? or even legal for that matter?
This is one of those jackass Mayor's court type of things that isn't legal, but it would cost more to fight it than the fine that goes with it.
So they "win" by default. It's wrong and they know it, but no one will do anything about it.

BYW, if someone walks that close to my truck, they get what they deserve. Sometimes I drive around with an empty bike rack
Yeah, when I heard about that law/ordinance/kangaroo court BS it blew my mind. Can't even fathom such a ridiculous thing. I was going to that town with my son when his truck was in the body shop after an accident. I'm from about an hour away in another state. How the heck could I possibly know or conceive of such craziness? I'm glad the guy told me, not that I even went further than the edge of town where the shop was. If I hadn't heard that and got ticketed I might end up in jail for a true violation of the law (if present while ticket was written). If I found the ticket on my truck upon return, I certainly would fight it in court over principal. That would be an interesting day in court for all those present.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #33
Oldironside

Smile Re: Inexpensive Mod: Improves Acceleration, Braking, Handling, AND Mileage

Well, I never would have thought to stumble over a health related topic on this treasure chest of a forum .
For me it is absolutely mandatory to stay on the lean side. Not so much because of fuel saving reasons, it is because my garage is so darn narrow, I barely can open the truck door halfway to get inside. Another benefit is, I can easily crawl under the truck when necessary without putting her on Jackstands outside the garage .
This is all true, but of cause it is not the main reason for me to watch my weight. It's mainly because it feels so much better to not carry too much excess baggage. That’s why I do a little workout every other day. I'm absolutely no health apostle, but for some reason I did a little research about the methods and tricks of the food industry and I really have to state that it is more than close to a crime what is going on in this segment. In short: large amounts of sugar and/or palm oil in nearly every industrial processed product and drink (sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine). Producing low fat products (substituting fat with sugar). Well, fat don’t make you fat. Ist sugar that does the trick.

Anyway, if you want to have a good laugh, watch this official advertisement video from the famous „heart attack grill" Las Vegas (the main caracter is the real owner / fun fact: saying is he really was a personal fitness trainer before opening the grill). Its approx 29 minutes but worth while to watch: https://youtu.be/qe8eR0RxBOc

Not so funny but extremely interesting and educational - the whole movie „Fat Fiction": https://youtu.be/TUADs-CK7vI

Best wishes from abroad.
Oldironside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:22 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

^^^ Great post, and thank you for bringing up the criminal practices of industrialized food that is so widely offered. Fresh ingredients and homegrown are what I try to eat. You know (if you are old enough), "mom's cooking". That's how I try to eat, but with present day awareness. We now know why our forebearers died too young from heart disease, diabetes, lack of exercise, and the complications that can result from either or all. Diet can be tied, at least, to making arthritis easier to deal with as well. What is it, 1 in 6 Americans are diabetic? A fact very much driven by the unnecessary use of additional sugar, bleached flour, AND worse, high fructose corn syrup. Read the label. The lemonade you grab from the cooler sweetened with high fructose corn syrup may have a better choice right beside it without that poison in it. Not even going to get started on the use of MSG or added gluten.

When I was a teenager I read a simple quote and have kept that in mind throughout my life, "Health is our greatest wealth". Very catchy, and it sure stuck on me

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-27-2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:37 AM   #35
LT7A

OIS, great to hear from you on this. My friends in Europe are definitely on the leaner side compared to myself. Heck in some cases, I probably weigh as much as two of them - I'm taller, but not that much taller. You bring up some good points. Most people understand the benefit of cardiovascular exercise - getting the lungs and heart going. But adding a little resistance work in there is good. And by resistance, I don't mean arguing with the wife or yelling at the kids. Dumbbells, barbells, improvised weights, push-ups, bodyweight squats. Any of that stuff stresses your muscles in a useful way. And a fringe benefit is that you continue to burn calories after your workout because your body needs to adjust that muscle to the new stress you're putting on it. Build it, in other words.

S-K, there is a rating for nearly all foods called an inflammation factor. Has to do with what is in the food and whether it helps against inflammation or adds to it. I'll find the website and post a link. Can't say that it would eliminate anyone's arthritis, but certainly can't hurt. As you can imagine, the foods that help are foods that are good for you.

Last edited by LT7A; 01-29-2022 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:43 AM   #36
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRL View Post
...right.

Very easy to install, but very difficult to remove later.

Yes sir. Hence the thread. I find the notion of -free- to be compelling, even if it's difficult to do. And I am often able to make progress if I reframe my perspective on things that I'm struggling with. So I thought why not compare notes with others who are interested. Leaning out will do a whole lot more for me than just make my cars faster ; )

Last edited by LT7A; 01-27-2022 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:08 PM   #37
Oldironside

Special-K, LT7A, thank you for your replies

I totally agree with you both. I also try to eat similar to “moms cooking" (yes I know the meaning , I am a little bit older than my truck ). As low on carbs as possible and high on protein (for example any kind d of meat and fish). And I specially agree with the health issues regarding fructose corn syrup. Too much fructose can also cause a fatty liver (even if you are on the leaner side), so better keep the consumption of any kind of fruit juice rather low (one glass of orange juice contains even more sugar than a glass of cola).

My “every other day workout” is a combined mix of cardio and HIT (high intensity training), meaning 3 sets for each muscle group with about 20 reps per set, last set until failure.

As far as I know, Sugar is a highly inflammatory substance itself, causing inflammations in the circular system and body.

Man, reading all this, I really do sound like a health apostle. But be assured I am not. I am drinking beer, eating pizza and burger, a piece of cake – but all very very rarely.
But when I do I really enjoy it !

Best wishes to y'all
Oldironside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:39 PM   #38
special-K
Special Order

That's right. Moderation is the key. You don't sound so much like a health apostle to me. More like a person taking advantage of the knowledge available to all who pay attention, and not ignoring "most" of it . I figure if I moderate myself now, and still enjoy what I love but less often, I might not have a doctor tell me at some point I have to stop eating those things. I'm like Joe Dirt. I want to keep on keeping on

I should work out or get back into some type of formal exercise. As it is, I stay active. My work is pretty physical, certainly don't sit much all day. I love to keep busy. The most I sit is doing what I'm doing right now (hmmm, I guess that's a lot! ). I can still walk as far as I need to, not get winded using steps or similar, I chop firewood, push mow my grass, shovel and dig post holes by hand, etc. Not afraid of manual labor. When I kayak I can go as far as I want w/o tiring and peddle my bikes wherever I want to go. When a younger person suggests I'm old or getting old I say, "I'll be old when I can't do the things I did when I was young". Hasn't happened yet!

Tim

Old 01-31-2022, 01:07 PM   #39
Rich84

I started exercising 2-3 times a week back in May. It is mostly lifting weights with a universal type machine I bought for my wife about 25 years ago. Lets just say it has low miles on it. I have actually gained about 5-8 pounds but appear slimmer and more importantly my surgically repaired back feels great. I'm shooting for a 3-4 day a week average. Maybe just pushups and stretching on the days I don't lift. I sit at my desk or behind the wheel of my truck all day.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 05:52 PM   #40
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
I started exercising 2-3 times a week back in May. It is mostly lifting weights with a universal type machine I bought for my wife about 25 years ago. Lets just say it has low miles on it. I have actually gained about 5-8 pounds but appear slimmer and more importantly my surgically repaired back feels great. I'm shooting for a 3-4 day a week average. Maybe just pushups and stretching on the days I don't lift. I sit at my desk or behind the wheel of my truck all day.
That's good work right there.

Another thought I wanted to throw in was improving your diet by degrees. I don't want this to be at odds with Fleetside Paul's candy thread elsewhere, haha. But candy is almost all sugar so sometimes if I have that craving I will eat something baked instead. Cookies, or other baked goods. Not exactly a diet plan but the rest of the ingredients help spread out the sugar a little bit. And then sometimes then you can have a craving for a snack but eat chips, or better yet popcorn or something like that to get away from the sugar. Again, you won't find this kind of idea to harmonize with anyone's prescribed weight loss program. But I think the little things that we do to change our diet help, and sometimes you have to trick yourself into eating just a little better. The people that seem to have the most success are the ones who just drop sugar from their diet, but I haven't been able to do that.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #41
special-K
Special Order

Dark chocolate covered almonds! Less sweet, mostly nut, filling, and satisfies the craving with a small handful. A little tub lasts quite a while. Pure candy goes quick. I only started the coated almond thing since a tub was given to me at Christmas. I went w/o a while and just bought another. I have pretty much lost my sweet tooth. Straight up candy is way too sweet for me. The sweet overpowers the flavor x10. Candy doesn't go fast with me. I feel the sugar rush and it will give me a headache. I can tell my body is telling me something. I get my sugar wants satisfied with 1/2 a spoon of raw sugar in my coffee and drinking a couple beers a day. I was having a couple whiskey and ginger ales occasionally, which took one 7oz can, but realized I wasn't sleeping well on those nights. No caffeine in ginger ale, just sugar. I've also been sworn off soda pop since in my 20s, and realized this made that fact not so. Thinking about my teeth as well, now if I care for a bit of whiskey I'll just have a shot straight up. That is what I was after in the mixed drink anyway. Also, I would always have two mixed drinks so as to not waste the ginger ale. With drinking shots it's one at a time, and I finally get to use my vintage shot glasses
Name:  DSCN0034.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  46.7 KB

Can't show it from the other side. Family friendly site here

Tim