The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2022, 11:40 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

I did a thing too.

On Thursday I was very much warned by the office at my job that my truck was not acceptable. As it "ruined" a sales conference call back to corporate. As I idled for a few minutes behind a semi getting a seal check.

Yes it is that loud, and I feel 35 again when I drive it. Atleast the cops gave me a thumbs up.

They made me promise I would purchase a different vehicle asap.

So my friend has a 1999 Dodge Durango I bought because it checks off enough boxes for me, and the big one there for corporate. I was looking for a square body Suburban, but nothing was available in my price range. Or desire to fix it range. What ever came first. The Durango is a 4x4 with the 318, and looks decent from 25 foot.

Anyone own one of these? I am wondering what to do with it for road trips with my son. Are the hitch carriers a good idea with about 200 pounds on back. What about roof racks. Are they convenient to load or unload?

Ideas in general
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: I did a thing too.

I know they run a lot better with Flowmasters

Couldn't you just turn your truck off while conducting conference calls?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-16-2022 at 05:21 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:52 PM   #3
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

My buddy has a Durango. He's never had any problems with it. I would guess it's about a 1999. and has a ton of miles on it. But it's in better shape than he is.

It sounds like you work with a bunch of pricks. WTF. You have to buy another vehicle because they got their panties in a bunch during their idiotic conference.

F them! Let them buy you a new car if it bugs them that much!

Okay....Rant over. Sorry, but I've worked with people like that too and they really get under my skin. It's none of their business what you drive.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:56 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I know they run a lot better with Flowmasters

Couldn't you just turn your truck off while conducting conference calls?
I was by the VP in charge of sales office window or about 25 foot away. The split duration with my 14" magnaflows really rumble.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:07 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
My buddy has a Durango. He's never had any problems with it. I would guess it's about a 1999. and has a ton of miles on it. But it's in better shape than he is.

It sounds like you work with a bunch of pricks. WTF. You have to buy another vehicle because they got their panties in a bunch during their idiotic conference.

F them! Let them buy you a new car if it bugs them that much!

Okay....Rant over. Sorry, but I've worked with people like that too and they really get under my skin. It's none of their business what you drive.
I really need this job as with my knee issues I frankly just don't have many options left. My arthritis is getting bad enough the Dr who saw me, and a second opinion I got. Both say replacements by the time I am 60. So 10-12.5 years roughly.

The way I feel, and personally. I rather work as long as I can. So if I can go to 70 I just will. After both knees are replaced. I was offered permanent disability due to the arthritis, but I will go stir crazy very fast. The Dr said I could easily get it since 3 MRI's show inflammation consistently.

I may still end up on disability because of the damage done, but I need to stretch it out as long as possible. Right now I am only taking a few ibuprofen a day to help with inflammation, and I need to schedule another round of halaronic acid injections. Plus loose 5-10 more pounds off the gut. I am down to 190-195 from 200-205 last year.

Plus I was already looking for a Suburban, and just need to keep the peace. Occasionally. Most of the time right?
Old 01-16-2022, 10:02 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Knee replacements can change all that. Mine are just now bothering me, at 66, due to climbing in a van and crouching while I locate tools and hardware. Often multiple times a day. I never worked out of a van until this last 16 months. I think I have a workers comp case

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-16-2022, 10:21 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Mine started when I nosed dived over my dog at 2am. Then ripped my meniscus 1/2 through on a nasty roof a week later.

My Dr told me as did my 2nd opinion. They meaning the medical establishment does not do knee replacement till roughly 60 years of age. As they have a rough life span of 20 years, and stretching out time between replacement. Yes people play tennis on them, but life span of the joint becomes dubious.

Luckily my job is easy enough that I have very little day to day issues, and only had to give up long walks. Rather hiking or a simple 5 mile walk around town. Mostly hiking as irregular surfaces bug alot usually now. I try to conserve my walking time for when I want to do it the most.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:03 PM   #8
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Knee replacements can change all that. Mine are just now bothering me, at 66, due to climbing in a van and crouching while I locate tools and hardware. Often multiple times a day. I never worked out of a van until this last 16 months. I think I have a workers comp case

Are you going to file a claim against yourself?

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:23 PM   #9
kwmech

May want to look into changing your diet as that can help a lot with the pain and inflammation. I've been dealing with osteo-arthritis for quite a few years and getting rid of a lot of the junk food and going as organic as I can has helped a lot. Along with vitamins and supplements. After a had day of working around the yard, I still have to have one of my 'cookies' so I can sleep decently
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:14 PM   #10
KW5413

Surviving life sucks sometimes. I was supposed to start knee injections in 2020 but, covid hit and I haven't been back since. Need to start that process pretty soon. Had a meniscus tear fixed about 5 years ago. But, the main problem is I have arthritis...everywhere. Won't even get into my back issues.

I have lost about 30# since then and that helps. The covid diet moved that rapidly along. Trying to drop another 15.

I can get down real easy...(fallin' ain't hard LOL). Getting up hurts.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #11
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
May want to look into changing your diet as that can help a lot with the pain and inflammation. I've been dealing with osteo-arthritis for quite a few years and getting rid of a lot of the junk food and going as organic as I can has helped a lot. Along with vitamins and supplements. After a had day of working around the yard, I still have to have one of my 'cookies' so I can sleep decently
I have tried various diets but none were effective. Luckily if you will my issues stem from flat feet, over work, and my dog.

So if i pace myself I can stay good.

The diet method has worked for my acid reflux. Or at minimum stop eating certain things past 5 or 6pm.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:32 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
[/B]
Are you going to file a claim against yourself?
I gave up working for myself in Oct '20 and took a job that was supposed to be historic preservation, but turns out to be a lot of common day remodeling. I'm very unhappy working for this pric... guy. Not turning out to be what I had hoped at all. Long story. But the short story is I have been climbing in and out of his van grabbing tools, fasteners, etc, several times a day, which means crouching down climbing over things and it's killing my knees. I never worked out of a van in all my life and never had problems with my knees until last summer. I've been wearing a knee brace on my right knee ever since and it can still hurt a lot. The left feels like it's not far behind. Now the right is starting to hurt while driving. I've been doing all this work at home, digging my basement out, prepping my barn for moving it (lots of bag mix concrete humping) and none of that bothers my knee. As soon as I climb into that van, or any other crouching now, I get gripping pain. I feel it is certainly an occupational injury. Seriously thinking about inquiring if I have a case.

And my Suburban needs a new exhaust system. Behind the muffler is gone now

Tim

Old 01-17-2022, 11:39 PM   #13
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
I gave up working for myself in Oct '20 and took a job that was supposed to be historic preservation, but turns out to be a lot of common day remodeling. I'm very unhappy working for this pric... guy. Not turning out to be what I had hoped at all. Long story. But the short story is I have been climbing in and out of his van grabbing tools, fasteners, etc, several times a day, which means crouching down climbing over things and it's killing my knees. I never worked out of a van in all my life and never had problems with my knees until last summer. I've been wearing a knee brace on my right knee ever since and it can still hurt a lot. The left feels like it's not far behind. Now the right is starting to hurt while driving. I've been doing all this work at home, digging my basement out, prepping my barn for moving it (lots of bag mix concrete humping) and none of that bothers my knee. As soon as I climb into that van, or any other crouching now, I get gripping pain. I feel it is certainly an occupational injury. Seriously thinking about inquiring if I have a case.

And my Suburban needs a new exhaust system. Behind the muffler is gone now

I would inquire. If that van is causing you that kind of pain. No job is worth your health.

I can't do what I used to do. I had FedEx deliver 60 pounds of dog food from Chewy. My little dog is too fat and has to have diet dog food and I can't get it around here.

The young guy walked out with the box and handed it to me like it was nothing and I dropped it. It was too heavy for me. Just a not so subtle reminder that I'm not as young as I used to be.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:54 PM   #14
LT7A

I've been thinking about starting a thread about diet and health related stuff. I actually have a car that weighs so little that it gets significantly faster when I lose weight, haha. So diet can be a performance modification for your car too - or your truck. Also, most foods have a rating with regards to the inflammation factor. Ties in with a few of the comments in this thread. Basically tells you what foods actually help support inflammation - e.g. they're bad. except most of them taste good. But there are surprising ones and you can bend your diet to include more of the good ones. I'll stop there because I don't want to get too far off topic here so I will come back and post the link when I start the thread.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...24#post9020824

Last edited by LT7A; 01-18-2022 at 12:11 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:44 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I would inquire. If that van is causing you that kind of pain. No job is worth your health.

I can't do what I used to do. I had FedEx deliver 60 pounds of dog food from Chewy. My little dog is too fat and has to have diet dog food and I can't get it around here.

The young guy walked out with the box and handed it to me like it was nothing and I dropped it. It was too heavy for me. Just a not so subtle reminder that I'm not as young as I used to be.
I know what you mean. I am certainly not as strong as I used to be. I really "feel it" after doing heavier work, like that water laden snow I cleared yesterday. Every time I get up I'm singing that song "stiff & sore". I used to whip extension ladders around like toothpicks. Now it's, "Oh shoot, I'm going to need to carry a ladder". My back certainly feels better these days from not handling ladders throughout the day.

Back to the knee and workers comp. When I had employees I was required to carry a workers comp policy. I could have included myself, but elected to exempt myself to save money. Back then I was married and she was an RN with excellent health care coverage I was included under. As a sole proprietor w/o employees I was still required to have a workers comp policy. Used to be I could exempt myself, which was a BS way of having a certificate to show if need be. But the state changed it to where no less than one person needed to be covered, so if I had no employees that had to be me. That cost me about 6x as much and I didn't need it.

Tim

Old 01-18-2022, 10:18 AM   #16
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I have tried various diets but none were effective. Luckily if you will my issues stem from flat feet, over work, and my dog.

So if i pace myself I can stay good.

The diet method has worked for my acid reflux. Or at minimum stop eating certain things past 5 or 6pm.
Double shot of Apple Cider vinegar (organic) mixed with water during dinner in a juice glass helps also. Gets the bacteria in your stomach back in line.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #17
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
As a sole proprietor w/o employees I was still required to have a workers comp policy. Used to be I could exempt myself, which was a BS way of having a certificate to show if need be. But the state changed it to where no less than one person needed to be covered, so if I had no employees that had to be me. That cost me about 6x as much and I didn't need it.
Tim,
I have not heard of that one. I got rid of both of my employees back when the original scare came thru in 2020 and the phones quit ringing. I had been paying WC premiums on myself up to that point in case of something major since I do not have regular health insurance. Once I no longer had to pay for the employee's premiums it was clear to see i could not afford it on myself either at almost $200 per week so I exempted myself from it as well and have been since early 2020. Insurance co had no issues with it and said nothing about a state law.

Edit to say that this is only for sole proprietor or single member LLC with no employees. If you are a reg incorporation (S or C) even if it is just you you are treated as an employee of the co so wc would have to be maintained
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:55 PM   #18
Tom
driving is in my blood

I think I would have spent the money on some electronic cut outs and a single quiet muffler to use while in the parking lot vs buying a Chrysler anything but I guess thats just me.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:45 PM   #19
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
I was in the bus. long ago, varies by state law, but they'll need a doctor and probably consult to sound off on any pre-existing conditions or natural order of things, such as arthritis. That said, old saying "if not for this job etc. he would/wouldn't". So eg treat/compensate condition caused by the job, not the underlying, for instance. Generally speaking claims are straight forward (BS), the purpose of is so you can't sue employers, so the situation calls for some concessions favoring the employee. TTD, PPD, etc. terms I haven't heard in decades but might be worth looking up.

I saw a lot more than one knee replacement knee replacements. Those get tricky, but at the end of the day if the doctor says this and another doesn't say that then it should be straight forward.

I know a few people that have owned Durangos and none have anything good to say about them, sorry to say. But there are monday builds etc. and sometimes vehicles just don't care for their drivers and vice versa. You should have bought an elect. car to please your employer, bastards
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-18-2022 at 08:53 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:49 PM   #20
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I was in the bus. long ago, varies by state law, but they'll need a doctor and probably consult to sound off on any pre-existing conditions or natural order of things, such as arthritis. That said, old saying "if not for this job etc. he would/wouldn't". So eg treat/compensate condition caused by the job, not the underlying, for instance. Generally speaking claims are straight forward (BS), the purpose of is so you can't sue employers, so the situation calls for some concessions favoring the employee. TTD, PPD, etc. terms I haven't heard in decades but might be worth looking up.

I saw a lot more than one knee replacement knee replacements. Those get tricky, but at the end of the day if the doctor says this and another doesn't say that then it should be straight forward.

I know a few people that have owned Durangos and none have anything good to say about them, sorry to say. But there are monday builds etc. and sometimes vehicles just don't care for their drivers and vice versa. You should have bought an elect. car to please your employer, bastards
I did want a Fiat 500E, but all it could do was take me to work. It does not have enough range to visit family or pick my son up on the weekend. The Leaf while slightly better still would be a work only vehicle.

My friend has owned this Durango for several years, and I have known him nearly as long. My daily commute it 16 miles, and I paid $1800. So I'd it makes it 3 years I will be happy, and can buy what I really want later. A 67-79 Suburban.

Today my department head told me pretty directly he wants me to replace him in 3-5 years when he retires. Previously he had said it in a very round about fashion. So I feel it is better chess strategy to play ball.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:53 PM   #21
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I think I would have spent the money on some electronic cut outs and a single quiet muffler to use while in the parking lot vs buying a Chrysler anything but I guess thats just me.
I like it loud. A nicely optioned LT1 is on note at 3000 rpm cruise.

I have always had a Dodge fetish, and had friends who have been big into them. Although it was more of a D100/D150 focused.

I really like the Durango. All I want is to get rid of the off road tires as the hum is annoying with out the radio on.

Still it is no Suburban, but emotionally I can not take another project on. The Durango just needed a cleaning, and a few maintenance items. That I will tackle one a week.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:19 PM   #22
davischevy

Damn, this thread sprouted more branches than a rose bush.

The WC laws here are pretty much as Tim described. I always excluded myself because the premium was prohibitive.

Tim, if you don't like the gentleman you are working for, your new aches and pains may be caused by stress.

I like Durangos', but know nothing about them.

You guys make me thankful I feel so good.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:02 AM   #23
cwcarpenter98

My old room mate bought a 99 Dakota 4x4 in high school (around 2015 or so), and just this past week bought a new daily because the truck was giving him too many problems that he didn't have time to fix himself. He's keeping it and will fix them now that he has a different daily.

If your Durango is one of the early ones with the iron block and heads, it'll run for a good while longer.

I've got a 95 Dakota. I love it, and it's a great daily since it's smaller. Only 79k on it, so many miles left in it

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:05 AM   #24
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Damn, this thread sprouted more branches than a rose bush.

The WC laws here are pretty much as Tim described. I always excluded myself because the premium was prohibitive.

Tim, if you don't like the gentleman you are working for, your new aches and pains may be caused by stress.

I like Durangos', but know nothing about them.

You guys make me thankful I feel so good.
Larry's right. Stress is a sneaky dog and can manifest itself in a lot of different ways. Before I retired I was very stressed out. The skin on my hands and my feet started peeling badly, and my hands shook. Once I left all that disappeared. That was over 5 years ago. Unfortunately being ugly didn't disappear.

I don't know anything about Durango's either other that my friends Durango always got him where he needed to go. I never heard him complain about it.

Maybe the Durango is not your first choice. Neither was my Ranger. But it got me to work and back for 12 years without an issue. I can't complain.

I've never filed a W/C claim. But in retrospect I probably should have. I was jacked up. But that's water under the bridge now.

Health insurance is funny. Not ha ha funny. I can't believe what they charge. Mine is $1900 a month. ( Am I really in that bad of shape ) My retirement pays 1500 and I pick up the rest. My wife has insurance but it's not as good as mine and she wants to retire soon, so I don't want to lose mine, because once it's gone it's gone. I don't know how people can afford it. I couldn't.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:56 AM   #25
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I did want a Fiat 500E, but all it could do was take me to work. It does not have enough range to visit family or pick my son up on the weekend. The Leaf while slightly better still would be a work only vehicle.

My friend has owned this Durango for several years, and I have known him nearly as long. My daily commute it 16 miles, and I paid $1800. So I'd it makes it 3 years I will be happy, and can buy what I really want later. A 67-79 Suburban.

Today my department head told me pretty directly he wants me to replace him in 3-5 years when he retires. Previously he had said it in a very round about fashion. So I feel it is better chess strategy to play ball.
Sounds right to me, and $1800 is nothing. Just keep track of that boss so to speak, because sometimes they say this and it ends up being that, much depends on their character too.

But really, a FIAT? Sorry, I wanted one and probably another 4-5 European sports cars back in the day 70s. All the old car guys said run. OT, looks like Fiat took over Dodge Chrysler years ago.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote