The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2023, 01:09 PM   #1
Gunner41

97 Peeling Paint

Good morning everybody.

MY 97 3500 which had a nice looking paint job had been destroyed. Its not the beautiful white anymore. Yup the dreaded paint has been flying off in sheets.

So here's the question. Since Im going to paint it (Yes I have been watching videos/websites for a couple years now and and have nothing to lose and it looks like fun) they say that single stage is better then the basecoat/clear coat for one shot deal and if it gets scratched it can buff out. On the other hand the two stage is better for beginners like me?
I know I have to take it down to metal because of the garbage primer and Im going to use self-etching primer as a base.
Now knowing that its a daily driver and yes its been lowered BUT I still make dump runs in it. Its a truck still even here in Prius land Ca its not a show truck. Any advise from yall? and Thanks for saving my bacon again.
Gunner41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:01 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: 97 Peeling Paint

I have never painted a vehicle (yet) with base/clear coat. Single stage is not bad. Now white is a hard one to spray to a lot of folks. We kinda get freaked out by the panel gaps. They really show them selves with a white paint job. Probably the hardest part is orange peal and runs. Which can be wet sanded out if you put on enough coats.

Best thing is a good prep. As you mentioned, sand it down, put on an epoxy primer/sealer. I have always been told use self etching if you can't sane it good, then scuff it and epoxy it. Self etching is allows rust/corrosion to form quickly if not top coated right away. I've always had better luck using the epoxy. I have always had at least 3 sprayings of primer to cover the initial, bondo work and block sanding.

Best way to learn is do it. If you don't like it, grab the sand paper and redo it (or sections.

I have heard it is easier with the base clear to get panels that are sprayed at different times to match up, thus why I think folks think it is easier. Again I have never done a whole vehicle yet in Base/clear.

Good luck. Let us know/see how it goes.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:12 PM   #3
Gunner41

A lot of wisdom in your words sir. You brought up a fact that I simply forgot. I can see the etching (like when I powder coat something I clean and etch it) attracting the rust. I completely forgot tho. Yes I think that Im going single stage. Im kind curious about the gaps but like I heard that prep is 80% of the battle and if my gaps hold close during that phase I should be good when my old eyes try getting me to keep adjusting thinking that paint will help close gaps. What do you think about clear coat over single? I figure that after I get rid of any "Orange peel/Runs" I can shoot a coat or two of good clear?
Appreciate the help.
Gunner41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:16 PM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

White to me is a great color, but it is one of the harder to spray. Again, I think it is because fresh white paint REALLY shows the body gaps and it will make you doubt your spraying and paint lay down patterns. I know with me it sometimes led to me trying to spray too much/thick, thus creating mire runs and orange peal.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:53 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

You can't use paint to fill body gaps . Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I had decided I won't use BC/CC on my trucks a long time ago. Too many clear coats seen fail and no touch-up turns me off. Single stage is one shot, but just practice misting it on a spare panel. I don't know how much hoods cost, but that would be great to practice on. Or maybe just a panel of corrugated roofing from Lowe's. If you can get an even coat on corrugated you should be able to paint body panels. Mist it but keep it wet

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:52 PM   #6
LS short box

I'm not a body guy but I play one for 8 hours a week at a buddies body shop. LOL.
I'm the king of block sanding on some of his resto projects.
My buddy won't spray any single stage. Or won't spray any paint on poorly prepared sheet metal.
Bare metal and properly prepared original paint gets a coat of epoxy primer. Then a skim coat of filler. Then a coat "poly" primer. Both sanded down to almost nothing to get panels straight. Then a couple of coats of sanding primer.
Then three layers of base coat. Any bad stuff that shows up in the base coat is sanded out and resprayed. Then 3-4 coats of clear. Cut and buff to follow.
I've done a number of BC/CC hot projects over the years. Never had the clear coat fail.
Pic of my 68 in bare metal. Pic of it painted.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote