The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
doctorplastic

Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Hi Guys, Still trying to figure things out on my new truck. Its a 1972 Cheyenne 20 Super. The tag on the glove box states that the truck came with an auxiliary fuel tank. Currently the gas guage is not working, it just turns to one side and stays there when the truck is running. I see the label in the dash to the left of the guages, but the switch is missing. Am I correct in understanding that switch is just to switch from one sending unit to the other. No I also understood that there is a manual valve to switch from tank to tank under the drivers seat. Well I check and there is no valve...but there is hole about the size of a dime. Now we get to the main problem. The guy I bought it from said tha the took out the tank to have it clean out as it was "rusty." He wasn't able to find the tank at the time of purchase...so my question - Is it possible to replace all three of these items to keep the truck as factory looking as possible? My main concern is the tank. I figure the switch on the dash is some sort of toggle switch and the valve on the cab floor can probably be replaced with a mechanical aftermarket valve along with the missing fuel lines. Now the wiring is still there wrapped around the frame under the bed. I would also have to find a filler neck because that is missing. I know that LMC sells the rubber hose that goes from the filler neck to the tank.

I want to keep this truck as original as possible. It's a Cheyenne 20 Super like I said, with factory camper equipment (dual batteries, auxiliary tank (option), sliding rear window, and large side mirrors. It also as the posi rear end with a wood bed and number maching 402 big block. This could be a really sweet truck if I can get everything back to the way it looked when it rolled off the factory floor.
doctorplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

Re: Auxiliary Fuel Tank

is this the same number as yours?

the switch for changing between the 2 sending units in the on just above the drivers ac vent.

the tank selector was on the floor to the left of the seat, next to where your seat belt attaches. most all i ha ve seen have stopped working. i just installed an electric selector and use a toggle on the dash to select tanks.

let me know if its the same number and ill take photos of what the tank looks like.

you can see the gas cap for the aux tank in this photo..

Last edited by mtdave2; 09-22-2009 at 08:00 AM.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

WELCOME!!

Sounds like a nicely ordered truck.The kind I like.The auxilary tank is`72-only.The pieces will have to be sourced used.None are available new.
Dave shows a good example of what you`re looking for.On the inside of the bed is a square duct covering the filler tube.what the switch does is switch power to the gauge from one tank sending unit to the other.Which side of the gauge does the needle go,full?That would indicate the wire is grounded out.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
doctorplastic

I hope I loaded these pics right. Here is the parts identification tag on the glove door. I also included a pic of the hole where the dash switch goes and a pic of where the filler neck should be. How do you think it would be to replace these things?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
doctorplastic

Okay, so I'm guessing the files were too big...so I know this is cheesy but I uploaded them to my old myspace account and just attached the link.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1403233
Old 06-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
gregg72340

Does anyone know how hard it would be to put one of these in a truck that didnt originally come with one?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
rbagley

I have two auxiliary tanks, two 3-position valves to select the tank(?) and two toggle switches that don't look original and go to fuel pumps for each tank. There is no switch for the sender unit though. Did all aux. tanks have sending units or did you just have to guess on some?
rbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
Se7en Deuce

can i see some pics of your truck inside and out
I just bought pretty much the exact same truck but its in rough shape and would love to see what its supposed to look like
I think the only major diff between mine and yours is mine came with buckets

71 cab
68 swb frame and bed
67 front clip
350/t350- posi 373 rear end
Se7en Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Se7en Deuce

lemme know if I can take anymore pics for you.
assuming its still there lol.

71 cab
68 swb frame and bed
67 front clip
350/t350- posi 373 rear end
Se7en Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Cool... my 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom had dual reserve tanks. One on each side. and had the switch in the floor as well. You can see in the pics that there are holes on both sides of the bed near the cab where the filler necks came through. They also extend in to the bed and go through the bed floor.

But I don't have any parts for it. The tanks and all that went with them were out of the rig when I got it. The holes in the cab floor are still there where the remote tank lever mounted as well.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 06-21-2010 at 04:57 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
JointTech

sorry to bring this thread back to life but I just found out my aux tank is factory and need a new sending unit / fuel pickup for it.
Anybody know where to get one?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=5955350
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote