The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #1
bean

Battery discharging

My battery appears to be discharging a little at a time. How do I track down the culprit? I replaced all the ground straps couple months ago not sure how long this has been going on. I disconnected the radio just to see if that was it but No luck. Any direction is appreciated.i should also say within past month I replaced the regulator when I put volt meter on it charging was less than 13. Help!
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
Willys_MB

Re: Battery discharging

I recently had to deal with a cheap Chinese relay hat had failed on me. Not sure if you have HEI or any other relays, but that’s one place to start.

It also sounds like your voltage regulator might have a problem. What output does your alternator have? Is the regulator dropping it below 13V? I went to an internally regulated alternator and never looked back.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
bean

I just replaced the regulator and it's charging at 13.6 now. I do have he I. Where exactly is this relay?
Old 10-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
sick472

Disconnect the neg wire ground wire from the battery, then use a multimeter to check the amp draw between the neg post on the battery and the ground wire you just unhooked. Between 20 and 50 milliamps is pretty normal...more than that is suspect. Start pulling fuses one at a time and look for the fuse that drops the amp draw down significantly. That will be the suspect circuit.

Keep in mind that the dome light door switches will activate when you open the door and change your readings. Wedge something in there to keep the dome light from coming on. AND, make sure your multimeter is set correctly and that it can handle 20 amps.

If none of the pulled fuses show the drop in amps (don't forget the 2 fuses under the hood)...your circuit is likely under the hood somewhere or at least outside the fused circuits.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

You can do pretty much the same thing with a simple 12v test lamp. Pop fuses one at a time and check each circuit. If the test lamp lights up on a particular fuse position, there's your culprit.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Battery discharging

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
I just replaced the regulator and it's charging at 13.6 now. I do have he I. Where exactly is this relay?

Is this at idle are driving? Is it with AC on radio heater what?
13.6 isn't enough juice at the begining if it starts dropping once you start turning on stuff.
If it's 13.6 @ idle and nothing on try turning on several things like lights heater/AC and see what it's doing. Could be a bad alternator and not putting enough charge back to the battery.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
bean

This was at idle. Would a loose connection on the alternator cause this ? I was at work and in a hurry but did find a loose terminal on back of alternator so got that tightened. I 'll check those things you mentioned and will get out the multimeter tonight when I get home. When I first replaced regulator it was charging at over 14. What should it be at idle?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #8
truckster

Quote:
You don't necessarily have a relay for HEI, only if you installed one.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Battery discharging

Quote:
This was at idle. Would a loose connection on the alternator cause this ? I was at work and in a hurry but did find a loose terminal on back of alternator so got that tightened. I 'll check those things you mentioned and will get out the multimeter tonight when I get home. When I first replaced regulator it was charging at over 14. What should it be at idle?

Yes any loose connection generates heat. Which is a lose of power to wherever it's going. With the truck at about 2000 RPM and just about everything turned on you should be getting at least 14 volts are a little better.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #10
rharris

Not to insult intelligence but make sure DMM is on DC Amps (it's sometimes overlooked). It will read on AC amps but will jump around and give erroneous readings. Good luck
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote