The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
Desperado454

Re: Parked Indefinite

The monotony of my day to day garbage job has been having a direct effect on my life. Depressed, unmotivated and generally lost, I've not only turned to my tried and true mix of Jim Beam and off brand ginger ale, I've been trying to draw inspiration from my first try at a turbo small block. Pictures will follow, but let me set the scene. Young, broke, clueless, yet motivated(!) I hit up craigslist in search of the largest cheapest turbo money could buy. Well i couldn't have been more tickled to have stumbled upon not only an exceptionally large turbo, it was a cheap turbo! $60 was a small price to pay to join to forced induction club i thought, and the process to fit this behemoth to my vortec headed sbc was set to begin! I'll add to this story in time but for now i'll describe the following pics. First 2 are of the relic itself; likely a long forgotten milestone of the pinnacle of turbochargers in the early 60's. The following trio show how to drain a turbo and reference a mechanical pump on the cheap. The last pic, however, is a warning to those who have spent the time to build a turbo setup. Don't waste your time doing this, then invite all of your buddies over with the intent to show off how sweet it sounds spooling up. A turbo most likely won't spool up like you'd wish with zero load on the engine. An embarrassing lesson learned for sure.

Desperado454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
DBLSPRT68

DUDE, YOU"VE GOT SOME MAD SKILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your brain has some awesome ideas in it. Keep it up. If your broke (like I am), just sell some stuff your not using (like I do).
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Desperado454

Progress!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Flathead Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado454 View Post
The monotony of my day to day garbage job has been having a direct effect on my life. Depressed, unmotivated and generally lost, I've not only turned to my tried and true mix of Jim Beam and off brand ginger ale, .......
I would argue that garbage collection is one of the most important jobs in existence. If there were no doctors people would survive, many would die from disease, but the fact is most would live. If there were no lawyers … well I’m not going to go into that. I can think of many people this world could possibly do without. Life would be worse and more difficult without many professions, but most people would survive. But if there was no one to take the refuse of the world and put in a safe place, there could not be enough people in the health care profession to deal with the disease that would occur. If you are gainfully employed doing an honest day’s job, you are in fact making the world a better place for us all doing the LORD’s work and have no reason at all to be lost. Plus, you also have the opportunity many of us do not, to run across some pretty cool stuff some idiot does not value, and has thrown away.
Flathead Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Desperado454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Smith View Post
I would argue that garbage collection is one of the most important jobs in existence. If there were no doctors people would survive, many would die from disease, but the fact is most would live. If there were no lawyers … well I’m not going to go into that. I can think of many people this world could possibly do without. Life would be worse and more difficult without many professions, but most people would survive. But if there was no one to take the refuse of the world and put in a safe place, there could not be enough people in the health care profession to deal with the disease that would occur. If you are gainfully employed doing an honest day’s job, you are in fact making the world a better place for us all doing the LORD’s work and have no reason at all to be lost. Plus, you also have the opportunity many of us do not, to run across some pretty cool stuff some idiot does not value, and has thrown away.
While you make a great point about the importance of garbage collection, I think you may have read into my Jim Beam and ginger ale fueled rant a little too literally. I'm not a garbage collector. I was merely stating how I felt my go nowhere job, which does nothing to make the world a better place, was comparable to garbage.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Desperado454

Tonight concluded with the passenger side of the firewall almost completely welded and ground down. Turned out better than expected with minimal warping, which is rare for me. Next up is the driver side

Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #7
Desperado454

Almost done
Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
Desperado454

Well, the firewall is flat now. Mission accomplished. Unfortunately I no longer have a heater, wipers or a way to stop this product of the general. So, next on the agenda will be the task of re-implementing those features. Once again, I was sidetracked by future interior ideas when I acquired a center console from a first gen camaro. Looks like a potential fit to me, just hoping the matching shifter will be found. Pics:
Attached Images