The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2020, 12:05 AM   #1
SouthernRodder

Disc brake with factory steel wheels?

Guys I need a little input please. I just inherited my grandpas 64 that I spent my entire childhood in. First thing I'd like to do is put drop spindles and six lug disc brakes up front. I really want to run the original steel wheels if possible but I mostly see folks saying that's a no no. I know I've seen someone on here who is doing this, I believe they had to make some mods to the caliper or mounting bracket or something. Could someone please verify if it's possible. I'd really appreciate any and all feedback.
SouthernRodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:04 AM   #2
jocko

Re: Disc brake with factory steel wheels?

Generally speaking, 3-nub, pre-71 6 lug wheels do not clear caliper retrofits. The inside profile of the wheel is different on 71 and up K5/10 wheels (i.e. 4 nub, 6 lug, designed for factory disk brakes). You can get the stock look that you seek with 71+ K5/10 wheels, but they are getting a little harder to find.

As for grinding the caliper - well, you can, that is an option. Much debate on here as to whether or not it's a good option.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=327646
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611451
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=615474
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
Chevy Fleetside

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...6334/overview/ Don't look at the picture. These are brand new OE style 6 lug wheels.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
jocko

If you read the comments below the wheels - one buyer said they would not clear a disk brake conversion on a 67 C10. Of course he didn't state why or whether he had stock-size calipers or any details that would actually prove helpful, but it's worth digging into.
Although it'd be a pain, it might be worth buying ONE and seeing if it fits - if it does, order the others - if not, then you only have one to ship back. Unfortunately, you never really know for certain if it's going to fit until you bolt it on. Would be good to know if anyone on here has bought this exact wheel and what calipers it did or didn't clear. ChevyFleetside is correct - can't look at the pic, have to go with the description. It would certainly seem to me that they would fit, but seems odd that the comments indicate they didn't clear calipers right off the bat. Interesting that one of the stock photos they show are a 3-nub type... Not sure why they would ever reproduce a 3-nub wheel (if they are indeed designed to clear disks on the inside) since the 4 nub hold a cap on more securely.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
cwcarpenter98

I purchased some used series 62's 6 lug 15x8 with 4" back spacing. They clear my factory size disc brake conversion stuff. I would choose to get new wheels rather than grinding on the caliper

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:17 PM   #6
Railroader

I put disc on my 63 C10. Stock rims would not clear the calipers as explained above. I was unable to find any later model rims in my area. 2000 year model is considered old for salvage yards in central Mississippi. The local steel mill crushes all the older vehicles at an alarming rate. I bit the bullet and purchased new chrome oem style rims with steel centers painted to match the truck. I did NOT want to grind on the calipers.
1994 GMC Daily Driver
Railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:53 PM   #7
SouthernRodder

After going back and looking at the links from jocko I see some useful info. Thank you sir for compiling the links for me.

I think I'll get the brakes on and get it down in the weeds then figure out the solution.

Last edited by SouthernRodder; 01-27-2020 at 12:05 AM.
SouthernRodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:21 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I put disc on my 63 C10. Stock rims would not clear the calipers as explained above. I was unable to find any later model rims in my area. 2000 year model is considered old for salvage yards in central Mississippi. The local steel mill crushes all the older vehicles at an alarming rate. I bit the bullet and purchased new chrome oem style rims with steel centers painted to match the truck. I did NOT want to grind on the calipers.
I joined the Navy in '72 and when I was driving to "A" school in Illinois, I was amazed at the number of newer vehicles piled up in the wrecking yards. I had a '69 Camaro that had NO rust (southern California car), but I saw '71 and '72 vehicles in tall piles! Educational about salting the roads, to say the least. Here in California it's gotten that way, too though. We used to have yards that kept the pre-'75 iron, but they've all pretty much closed.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote