The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
54blackhornet

No Headlights Dimmer Switch Disintegrated !

I noticed that the headlights weren’t working so I started with the dimmer switch, because I read it’s a typical problem area on GM vehicles of this vintage. Just getting the plug off was a pita because of the corrosion. When it finally came off I noticed the part of the switch came with it. The screws where corroded also but BP worked its magic. After getting the switch off the floor I found this. Suggestions on replacement?
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: No Headlights Dimmer Switch Disintegrated !

You heard right, that's a common problem area -- though yours may be worse than most. Should be able to get a new dimmer switch at any auto parts store.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:53 PM   #3
BigBird05

Look into running your head lights thru relays and cut down on the amount of amperage that the switch will have to carry. I am going to run relays on my head lights, tail lights, turn signals starter solenoid and Ign 1 to the fuse box because so many people report ign switch failures.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Glad you pointed that out -- I forgot to mention it. Relays also help extend the life of the headlamp switch on the dash, for the same reasons. And they supply higher voltage to the headlamps, resulting in brighter lights. Great little mod for stock lighting, even more critical if you run higher wattage bulbs.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-23-2021, 08:20 PM   #5
54blackhornet

Thanks fellas I guess after 50 years I can’t really complain to much ! I was hoping that I could replace the switch with a original delco part not another Chinese pos I see advertised...
Old 07-23-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
72 Super

I just replaced mine a few months back for exact some problem. It is an AC Delco piece but I don’t believe it is made in the US as the originals were. But it works perfect though.

https://www.amazon.com/your-orders/p...ntId=DBps9j9Jp
Old 07-23-2021, 09:04 PM   #7
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
Look into running your head lights thru relays and cut down on the amount of amperage that the switch will have to carry. I am going to run relays on my head lights, tail lights, turn signals starter solenoid and Ign 1 to the fuse box because so many people report ign switch failures.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is money well spent, all of my older vehicles were either wired or
converted to a complete relay system. This is where modern
technology is good for these old classics, besides I'm all about
function/dependability.

L.E.D.s are another plus to the system wherever possible to cut down
on amp/current draw
Sheepdip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:40 PM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Super View Post
I just replaced mine a few months back for exact some problem. It is an AC Delco piece but I don’t believe it is made in the US as the originals were. But it works perfect though.

https://www.amazon.com/your-orders/p...ntId=DBps9j9Jp
When I click on your Amazon "your-orders" it takes me to MY Amazon order page!

Maybe if you post a link to the page with the actual item....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #9
burnin oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is money well spent, all of my older vehicles were either wired or
converted to a complete relay system. This is where modern
technology is good for these old classics, besides I'm all about
function/dependability.

L.E.D.s are another plus to the system wherever possible to cut down
on amp/current draw
Totally not needed on a stock truck. Think about how long those parts lasted before failure. The stock headlight switch ran the headlights and the added load of trailer lights also. that was part of the deign criteria back in the day.. Now that I said that, the headlight relays do work really well. For the most part this is a keep it simple affair. If you are going relay crazy why not swap everything over to constant hot with switched grounds and add a body control module? Don't go nuts over the simple things. Save the relays for things like electric fuel pumps.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #10
72 Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
When I click on your Amazon "your-orders" it takes me to MY Amazon order page!

Maybe if you post a link to the page with the actual item....
Sorry try this one here. When I click on it from this side it works.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D808-.../dp/B000C9QXKA
Old 07-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
BigBird05

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Totally not needed on a stock truck. Think about how long those parts lasted before failure. The stock headlight switch ran the headlights and the added load of trailer lights also. that was part of the deign criteria back in the day.. Now that I said that, the headlight relays do work really well. For the most part this is a keep it simple affair. If you are going relay crazy why not swap everything over to constant hot with switched grounds and add a body control module? Don't go nuts over the simple things. Save the relays for things like electric fuel pumps.
They wouldn't be necessary if the replacement parts were as good as the original parts 50 years ago. There are to many stories on here about new electrical switches only lasting a year or two.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #12
54blackhornet

I just called a neighbor who has about 10 acres of salvage , I will look for a good original replacement instead of the repop stuff available on line....
Old 07-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #13
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Super View Post
Sorry try this one here. When I click on it from this side it works.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D808-.../dp/B000C9QXKA
Ah, much better, thanks!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-24-2021, 07:03 PM   #14
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
As you said, headlight relays work well. For one thing, they deliver maximum voltage to the headlights, making them measurably brighter. This because you bypass restrictive wiring as well as the headlight switch and the floor dimmer switch.

You can do a before / after voltage comparison at the headlights to see what is gained with relays. Daniel Stern's website has some great info showing the light output in lumens at different voltages.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html The following is a bit long, but worth a look imho.

Why Bother With Relays?

Power for the headlights is controlled by (wait for it) the headlight switch. In almost all vehicles built through the late '90s, and quite a few built after that timeframe, all headlamp current runs through the switch. That is: long lengths of thin wire to and from the switch, which contains tiny contacts. All of this adds up to a surprising amount of resistive voltage drop, which takes a big bite out of headlamp output.

In many cases, the thin factory wires are inadequate even for the standard original-equipment headlamps. There's a large element of automaker cost-cutting involved; it might sound like a joke to say they figure headlamps are only used at night, so that's a 50% usage duty, so they cut the wire gauge in half, but it's actually pretty close to how these kinds of decisions are often made in the auto industry where just about every last fraction of a cent that can be shaved from the build cost, will be.

And science has yet to give us the wiring, connections, and switch contacts that improve with age; in fact they do the opposite.

Headlamp bulb light output is severely compromised with decreased voltage. The drop in light output is not linear, it is exponential to the power 3.4. For example, let's consider a bulb with a rated output of 1000 lumens at 12.8 Volts and look what happens when it is operated at different voltages:

10.5V : 510 lumens
11.0V : 597 lumens
11.5V : 695 lumens
12.0V : 803 lumens
12.5V : 923 lumens
12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage
13.0V : 1054 lumens
13.5V : 1198 lumens
14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage
14.5V : 1528 lumens
(Outside North America bulb output and lifespan are both rated at 13.2v, but the effect of voltage drop is the same).

When operating voltage drops to 95 percent (12.54v), headlamp bulbs produce only 83 percent of their rated light output. When voltage drops to 90 percent (11.88v), bulb output is only 67 percent of what it should be. And when voltage drops to 85 percent (11.22v), bulb output is a paltry 53 percent of normal! It is quite common for factory headlamp circuits to produce this kind of voltage drop, especially once they're no longer brand new and the connections have accumulated some corrosion and dirt.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-24-2021, 07:55 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
As you said, headlight relays work well. For one thing, they deliver maximum voltage to the headlights, making them measurably brighter. This because you bypass restrictive wiring as well as the headlight switch and the floor dimmer switch.

You can do a before / after voltage comparison at the headlights to see what is gained with relays. Daniel Stern's website has some great info showing the light output in lumens at different voltages.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html The following is a bit long, but worth a look imho.

Why Bother With Relays?

Power for the headlights is controlled by (wait for it) the headlight switch. In almost all vehicles built through the late '90s, and quite a few built after that timeframe, all headlamp current runs through the switch. That is: long lengths of thin wire to and from the switch, which contains tiny contacts. All of this adds up to a surprising amount of resistive voltage drop, which takes a big bite out of headlamp output.

In many cases, the thin factory wires are inadequate even for the standard original-equipment headlamps. There's a large element of automaker cost-cutting involved; it might sound like a joke to say they figure headlamps are only used at night, so that's a 50% usage duty, so they cut the wire gauge in half, but it's actually pretty close to how these kinds of decisions are often made in the auto industry where just about every last fraction of a cent that can be shaved from the build cost, will be.

And science has yet to give us the wiring, connections, and switch contacts that improve with age; in fact they do the opposite.

Headlamp bulb light output is severely compromised with decreased voltage. The drop in light output is not linear, it is exponential to the power 3.4. For example, let's consider a bulb with a rated output of 1000 lumens at 12.8 Volts and look what happens when it is operated at different voltages:

10.5V : 510 lumens
11.0V : 597 lumens
11.5V : 695 lumens
12.0V : 803 lumens
12.5V : 923 lumens
12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage
13.0V : 1054 lumens
13.5V : 1198 lumens
14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage
14.5V : 1528 lumens
(Outside North America bulb output and lifespan are both rated at 13.2v, but the effect of voltage drop is the same).

When operating voltage drops to 95 percent (12.54v), headlamp bulbs produce only 83 percent of their rated light output. When voltage drops to 90 percent (11.88v), bulb output is only 67 percent of what it should be. And when voltage drops to 85 percent (11.22v), bulb output is a paltry 53 percent of normal! It is quite common for factory headlamp circuits to produce this kind of voltage drop, especially once they're no longer brand new and the connections have accumulated some corrosion and dirt.
I made a thread and posted pics of the difference in headlight output using the relays from LMC. Pretty amazing, since only the headlights are supplied by the relays, if I understood it correctly. Even the marker and tail lamps are brighter with the load from the headlights removed from the circuit.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=782071

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:22 PM   #16
lil hoodlum

Quote:
I am running the stock type headlight and dimmer switch in my 68 C10 daily driver for 24 years now. They work as they should but sometimes it seems as if my headlights "pulse" at night while idling. It is a little annoying and have been considering doing the relay upgrade because I have had to replace the headlight switch a few times. I do have a aftermarket wiring harness installed and all of the necessary grounds. I am still running the factory 65 Amp alternator too.

Last edited by lil hoodlum; 07-24-2021 at 11:24 PM. Reason: I cain't spel corectly
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:41 PM   #17
Getter-Done

Here is a good article I had saved about Relay stuff.

Link: https://www.mgexp.com/article/mgb/he...elays_revb.pdf

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:35 AM   #18
'68OrangeSunshine

You might check the status of your Dimmer Switch Pigtail too. 50 years of getting stomped is not good on any connection.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:39 AM   #19
burnin oil

If you are truly worried about headlight output grab the relay power near the back of the alternator. This is where the system voltage is highest. The batteries job is to store 12v. I have done relay mods on a dodge mainly to simplify the addition of sport headlights and it also had a headlight switch failure. My 72 was a daily driver 72 got a replacement headlight switch maybe 10 years ago and is still fine. It has no relays installed but alot of accessories are right off the battery with large wire. I also rewired the truck myself so wire size is adequate.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #20
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
I am running the stock type headlight and dimmer switch in my 68 C10 daily driver for 24 years now. They work as they should but sometimes it seems as if my headlights "pulse" at night while idling. It is a little annoying and have been considering doing the relay upgrade because I have had to replace the headlight switch a few times. I do have a aftermarket wiring harness installed and all of the necessary grounds. I am still running the factory 65 Amp alternator too.
I'm not at all sure but I think that an upgraded internally regulated alternator might fix that low rpm 'pulsing'.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #21
54blackhornet

Can you elaborate on how to tap into the harness at the alternator for power to the relays ?
Old 07-26-2021, 07:44 AM   #22
burnin oil

I can't remember on the stock alternator but on the mid 70s style you just need to add a ring terminal to your power wire and then attach that to the stud on the back of the alternator. I believe the original alternator was the same, from memory.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:36 AM   #23
StingRay

The dimmer switches from the van and RV chassis up into the 80's drop right in.They are usually clean and low use from the RV's.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:34 AM   #24
BigBird05

If your going to power the relays off of the alternator ( I would advise against that ) you should use a fuse link.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:14 AM   #25
burnin oil

Why would you advise against that? You are not using the entire headlight circuit to feed the rest of the truck. It is only picking up power at this point which has the highest voltage. It is the same concept as having a second power wire hooked up at a battery terminal. Headlight bulbs don't care if the volts are 14.4 volts and a fusible link is for amperage. We are not talking about fussy electronics that need a stable voltage to remain happy. The alternator or battery have the same potential to give the relays way more amps than needed. Dont forget Ohms law and as volts go up the amps go down as far as a given wattage is concerned. This is spoken as an electrician but not an engineer so I could have missed something.