The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2022, 07:28 PM   #1
5Tractorguy

Truck Purchase and Shipping- Need Advice

Howdy Folks, I usually hang around the 73-87 forum, but over the past year I started looking for a 67-72 to add to the fleet.

I found a truck out in Washington state. Seller sent a bunch of pictures so I was able to get an idea of the overall condition. It looks like a rig that fits what I'm after.

So, for those of you who have done this kind of thing before, how do you go about a cross country purchase of a truck? He sends the title then you send the money? Have a local forum member help with the deal? Fly out?

The shipper I use doesn't run to the west coast, so I was going to contact Amerifreight... anyone use them before?

Just want to check on all this before I give him a definite on buying...

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:48 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Truck Purchase and Shipping- Need Advice

Your young, From your youtube videos it looks like you know your way around a tool box , Fly out and drive it back , Make it an adventure you can tell your kids about , Maybe your grand kids ? Post a picture of the truck your willing to have shipped across the country to own .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:51 PM   #3
tutone

I sold a 34 Ford to a fellow in LA California back in the winter. here is how we did this. I opened a new account at MY bank , separate from any other account, then had him wire me a deposit of 1000 bucks. Owner may set any amount he wishes since it is you sending the money. That will give the guy a chance to get his paperwork in order. I took my title to the local DMV transferred to his name and faxed a copy with the VIN partially blacked out. He then wired the rest of the money to my account and I immediately moved most of it it and left the account very low in funds, As his wire transfer was complete, I overnighted his paper work and title to him and he let me know he got it, and we waited on his shipper.
It went smooth as heck. I have never bought anything across country , but it didn't seem to bother him.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #4
72SB

OP

IMHO best to spend the $ on a plane ticket to see firsthand the truck. Pics can be very flattering.

You have 2 choices then. Say no after seeing it or buying it. Go to a bank with the guy and do a in bank transaction after you have seen the title and it matches the truck

Then you either drive the truck back or ship it. I used Montway and they were excellent. $2100 enclosed trailer (would have been $500 less before gas $ got stupid). They had the truck to me in under 3 days (Ill to CA)

Doing the wire me $ thing and I will send you the title thing....well, what could go wrong.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:59 AM   #5
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Your young, From your youtube videos it looks like you know your way around a tool box , Fly out and drive it back , Make it an adventure you can tell your kids about , Maybe your grand kids ? Post a picture of the truck your willing to have shipped across the country to own .
THAT would be fun! Though the cost would run up a bit... and at 50mph... but I always wanted to do a cross country trip in an ol' truck. Especially though the upper mid-west area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
I sold a 34 Ford to a fellow in LA California back in the winter. here is how we did this. I opened a new account at MY bank , separate from any other account, then had him wire me a deposit of 1000 bucks. Owner may set any amount he wishes since it is you sending the money. That will give the guy a chance to get his paperwork in order. I took my title to the local DMV transferred to his name and faxed a copy with the VIN partially blacked out. He then wired the rest of the money to my account and I immediately moved most of it it and left the account very low in funds, As his wire transfer was complete, I overnighted his paper work and title to him and he let me know he got it, and we waited on his shipper.
It went smooth as heck. I have never bought anything across country , but it didn't seem to bother him.
Excellent, thanks for the description tutone. If this comes to fruition, that's the approach I'll take with the guy. I've bought 2 trucks (73-87's) from different parts of the country already, but both experiences were a little dicey when it came to payment and passing paperwork... Much rather avoid that again. Your way is a lot better and would give me some piece of mind making sure he follows through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
OP

IMHO best to spend the $ on a plane ticket to see firsthand the truck. Pics can be very flattering.

You have 2 choices then. Say no after seeing it or buying it. Go to a bank with the guy and do a in bank transaction after you have seen the title and it matches the truck

Then you either drive the truck back or ship it. I used Montway and they were excellent. $2100 enclosed trailer (would have been $500 less before gas $ got stupid). They had the truck to me in under 3 days (Ill to CA)

Doing the wire me $ thing and I will send you the title thing....well, what could go wrong.
That would be smart... I can fly out there for about $550+/- from MA. Would be worth it to make sure everything checks out. Then it's just a matter of getting it back here. But it would provide piece of mind and knowing the paperwork/money was square.

No easy way to do this unfortunately... I messaged him last night inquiring about selling so we'll see what happens. If it don't feel right, I'll walk away. Plenty more trucks out there...

Here ya go Grumpy... '67 K20.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 11.42.15 AM.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  56.6 KB Name:  Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 11.43.42 AM.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 11.41.33 AM.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  54.3 KB Name:  Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 11.55.17 AM.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  56.8 KB

5Tractorguy on Youtube

Last edited by 5Tractorguy; 09-15-2022 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Included reply from another member
Old 09-15-2022, 12:53 PM   #6
72SB

well she's clearly in need of some help. If this is cheap I can see the end but trucks like this can drain a bank account quick once you start the tear down. I suspect the rust visible is considerably more underneath, cab corners, PS front fender bottom (battery acid), runners...she is a project. Not sure she is the truck to hop in and drive back across country

plane ticket and an exposed hauler will be about $2k..no need to spend the $ on an enclosed trailer...assuming the truck runs though. Most haulers won't take a non running car/truck

The way Montway worked is you use a cc to pay around $400-$500 of the cost of trucking, thats their kiss and you pay driver cash for balance when they arrive. I got email when truck was picked up (seller also texted me) and the driver calls a few hrs out to confirm delivery time.

The 2 drivers that brought my truck from Ill did it in less than 3 days and my truck was the only thing in the 53" trailer. They said they had a full load going back east so I suspect I just paid for the gas to get out to CA.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #7
MySons68C20

What city is this in? If it's close enough to Wenatchee I would be happy to look at in person and report back.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:58 PM   #8
LS short box

I've bought and sold a half a dozen hot rods over the years. As a seller the vehicle doesn't move until I'm paid in full. As a buyer I used to travel a lot by air so I always had a ton of miles to use to go see the vehicle in question.
I sold one of my hot rods about 1 1/2 years ago to a guy in Canada. He couldn't get into the US because of covid. I had a complete build thread so he was able to review that. I sent him a PDF of the title. Then he wired the money. I then sent him the signed title. Now it's his vehicle. I stored it for awhile at no charge. All the shipping was up to him.
As a buyer I've contacted a local car club near the vehicle and asked for folks that could look at the vehicle. I've had good luck with that. $200 bucks was money well spent on a possible project.
Air line fares are one thing but including rental car fees, food and lodging can add up quick.
As said above open a temp bank account. Put the money in and close it after the transaction.
Be careful of the car shipping brokers. Really hit and miss.
Good luck.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:16 PM   #9
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
well she's clearly in need of some help. If this is cheap I can see the end but trucks like this can drain a bank account quick once you start the tear down. I suspect the rust visible is considerably more underneath, cab corners, PS front fender bottom (battery acid), runners...she is a project. Not sure she is the truck to hop in and drive back across country

plane ticket and an exposed hauler will be about $2k..no need to spend the $ on an enclosed trailer...assuming the truck runs though. Most haulers won't take a non running car/truck

The way Montway worked is you use a cc to pay around $400-$500 of the cost of trucking, thats their kiss and you pay driver cash for balance when they arrive. I got email when truck was picked up (seller also texted me) and the driver calls a few hrs out to confirm delivery time.

The 2 drivers that brought my truck from Ill did it in less than 3 days and my truck was the only thing in the 53" trailer. They said they had a full load going back east so I suspect I just paid for the gas to get out to CA.

I expect a full mechanical revamp which wouldn't be an issue. Seller said that it was on the road running/driving last year. Has been sitting since. So if nothing else, it would drive onto a trailer.

Compared to what we have here in New England to play with, this thing is in excellent shape for the age. Original cond. 4x4 67-72's are like hens teeth around here... and the ones you do find are rotted to the windows. Kinda figured the only way I'd be able to get my hands on one is to ship it in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySons68C20 View Post
What city is this in? If it's close enough to Wenatchee I would be happy to look at in person and report back.

That would be appreciated! It's in Kennewick, so about 2.5hrs from you... bit of a ride. Also, seller hasn't been real prompt (or detailed) in response so most likely I may let this one slide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I've bought and sold a half a dozen hot rods over the years. As a seller the vehicle doesn't move until I'm paid in full. As a buyer I used to travel a lot by air so I always had a ton of miles to use to go see the vehicle in question.
I sold one of my hot rods about 1 1/2 years ago to a guy in Canada. He couldn't get into the US because of covid. I had a complete build thread so he was able to review that. I sent him a PDF of the title. Then he wired the money. I then sent him the signed title. Now it's his vehicle. I stored it for awhile at no charge. All the shipping was up to him.
As a buyer I've contacted a local car club near the vehicle and asked for folks that could look at the vehicle. I've had good luck with that. $200 bucks was money well spent on a possible project.
Air line fares are one thing but including rental car fees, food and lodging can add up quick.
As said above open a temp bank account. Put the money in and close it after the transaction.
Be careful of the car shipping brokers. Really hit and miss.
Good luck.
That was similar to what I did when buying my C30 out of OK. We got all the money and paperwork squared away then the seller held onto it until the transport guy could pick up. Which I was grateful because it took about 1.5 months for him to get a load down that way.
Didn't think of a car club to give it a once over, good idea! I found out how hairy the vehicle transport biz was a few years back. Many scam companies, ones that overcharge, etc. Mainly why I wanted to ask here first. Found a great transport guy in NH thats brought trucks back for me, but he doesn't go further west than Indiana or so.

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 09-15-2022, 06:25 PM   #10
mr.mud1

i have been buying cars,trucks and Harleys in the states and western Canada for 40 years.i've wired deposits and driven to them to haul them home,sent payment in full and flown to them to drive them home,just about any scenario you can imagine, then this last truck i bought was in Utah and couldn't go get it with the Canada/US borders closed with covid so i told the seller,i'd buy it,send the payment in full(i'd bought from him before) but he'd have to keep the truck til i could come get it.that was fine for a while til he called and said it had to go,he needed room.i had it hauled home with Cruise Control Car Carriers,a broker and there are all kinds of horror stories about brokers but this guy was bang on.it cost what he said it would, had it moving and delivered when he said he would.i've been fortunate as this leaves a fella in a bad way if you're dealing with a crook from far away.i love the road trips,always an adventure so go for it if you're comfortable,or find a reliable shipper and maybe avoid some trouble on the drive home.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:48 PM   #11
best view

Id get a member to go or keep talking to him until u feel comfortable with him I can tell u right now from bend Oregon to mass is 3500.00 i have shipped many from there and at that price they need to move on there own and not during the wintertime that’s why I’m waiting till the spring before i ship mine back
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:53 PM   #12
jimijam00

I would not be buying a project across the country unless it was uber rare. But since you are set on buying, hop on a plane and get it. You've got 30 days before the weather goes to ****, which will make the drive more dangerous and uncomfortable for you. Good luck.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:03 AM   #13
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
You've got 30 days before the weather goes to ****, which will make the drive more dangerous and uncomfortable for you. Good luck.
I love your no-nonsense approach. Simple and to the point. And after looking at your location, it seems you know the areas well lol

(im not being facetious)
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:11 AM   #14
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
I love your no-nonsense approach. Simple and to the point. And after looking at your location, it seems you know the areas well lol

(im not being facetious)
Lol. I do know the area, and that truck hasn't spent its entire life in Kennewick. It's dry as hell there and I've seen 40s and 50s vehicles there in better shape "patina" wise. Farm truck that was never waxed could have been sunbeaten and turned patina I suppose.

However, I was not referring to weather here. I was really referring to the drive over the Rocky Mountains and through the midwest to the east coast in a 2wd beater in unknown shape.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:18 AM   #15
67 twins

Quote:
Lol. I do know the area, and that truck hasn't spent its entire life in Kennewick. It's dry as hell there and I've seen 40s and 50s vehicles there in better shape "patina" wise. Farm truck that was never waxed could have been sunbeaten and turned patina I suppose.

However, I was not referring to weather here. I was really referring to the drive over the Rocky Mountains and through the midwest to the east coast in a 2wd beater in unknown shape.

Except the original poster stated it's a 4wd.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris

Last edited by 67 twins; 09-16-2022 at 04:06 AM.
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:50 PM   #16
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
Except the original poster stated it's a 4wd.
Except does that really change anything, and does it even work? And if it did work, would it make a difference?
Old 09-17-2022, 12:27 AM   #17
67 twins

Quote:
Except does that really change anything, and does it even work? And if it did work, would it make a difference?
Maybe to some it would. To others it wouldn't. However details are important and mistating them may lead to confusion.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:12 AM   #18
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Only thing I would add is make sure your carrier is not a broker.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:44 AM   #19
jocko

I'll second KQQL IT on that stmt. Have had good experiences with shippers that I've arranged directly with - have gotten completely screwed by dishonest middleman brokers, never again.

I love that truck - it's a nice find, I'd be jumping thru all these hoops to get it home too. But, it's not a driver, it's not even close - all the above-mentioned adventure and nostalgia of a cross-country truck trip will disappear instantly when stranded on the side of the road in ND. And again in IN, and PA... I'd definitely bite the bullet to get the truck shipped professionally - and yes, it could cost more than the truck, but that's the reality of buying one these days. Keep in mind that, even if that truck did magically survive a west-to-east coast trip with no issues, it still would be a rather expensive, and very long (with its likely gearing) trip. Looking forward to more pictures
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #20
Gary 70 Jimmy

Make sure all your # match Vin on glove box and title l got my 72 jimmy shipped to me I had him take a picture of the title and glove box sticker and they were one letter off from the factory he went to his bmv and had it fixed before I bought it.

1972 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 4wheel camper
1970 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 350
1969 Chevy Blazer 1/2 4X4 307
1967 chevy LWB 3/4 396
Gary 70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:01 PM   #21
May70

Don't use a transport broker. Find an independent person (which will be harder to find than a broker). Most places don't advertise they are brokers so be careful.

If your number is given to a broker, be prepared for your phone to get blown up by subs and then later the broker's sell your info and your phone will never stop getting spam calls. Ask me how I know.

Independent person will be more expensive but its worth it. In the end its so much less hassle and not that much more $ just to pay someone to transport it.

Unless you're retired and have time. Or you have to move it immediately.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #22
AllGoNoShow

Hagerty had a very good article a few months back about using auto transport carriers and all the different ones, I’m sure you can find it online. After buying my truck from someone who had it transported from Arizona (I’m in upstate NY), I will likely never buy anything in the northeast ever again. The few thousand dollars is worth whatever rusty junk people try to sell for absorbent amount of money around here.
Posted via Mobile Device
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:19 PM   #23
5Tractorguy

Alrighty folks, appreciate all the feedback here! Lots of good stuff to keep in mind for the next purchase.

Looks like this isn't going to come to fruition... Seller never responded to my messages so I'm not going to hound him. Something just didn't feel right about messaging back and forth anyways, he didn't seem very upfront.

The search continues

5Tractorguy on Youtube
Old 09-20-2022, 08:58 PM   #24
best view

I pm u a guy in bend Oregon that has several I’d call him chevland and I both bought k20s from him this year and I have bought many over the years he’s also a member hear and nothing to worry about
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:05 AM   #25
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by best view View Post
I pm u a guy in bend Oregon that has several I’d call him chevland and I both bought k20s from him this year and I have bought many over the years he’s also a member hear and nothing to worry about
Was going to ask you about his character first... good that he's a member and from the sounds of it a reliable seller. Didn't mean to leave you hanging on the PM. I'll make note to give him a ring.

5Tractorguy on Youtube