The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
jricharc

Looking to add a Tachometer

So I recently bought an '86 C10 that has had it's factory V6 replaced with a 350 from an early 80's Z28. It has the Saginaw 3 speed with the shifter moved to the floor and I would like to add a tachometer to the gauges.

I am thinking my best option would be to replace the current large gas gauge that is next to the speedo with the new tach and move a new gas gauge over where the blank spot is on the left side. Has anyone done this and can they recommend any specific gauges?

I have seen a bunch where folks have done the entire cluster but that's just not in the budget so I want to find something that looks somewhat factory if possible.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
barry1982

Re: Looking to add a Tachometer

Hi There,

I believe you will run into trouble attempting that. Your truck has wiring/printed circuits to match your existing gauge configuration. Some of the earlier trucks came factory with a tach in this location, however you require the wiring harnesses / printed circuits etc. Just my opinion, but you would better off installing a tach in another location.
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Tiger Joe

yes your truck has the printed circuit that does not have the tach in it.

realistically you have 3 options:
1- mount an aftermarket tach in another location
2- buy a replacement cluster with correct tach and gas gauge
3- buy the aftermarket tach/gas gauge in one that fits in the stock cluster (http://gmsports.com/trucks)

I actually have one of each in different trucks and I can tell you IMO the original factory setup(#2) looks the best. that said, i don't know if you could get a factory tach in 86 still? so you might have to go with option 3 if you want it in the cluster. I have the combo tach/gas gauge in my 87 tbi truck and it works flawlessly.
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
jricharc

Thanks for the replies, I will see what the budget will allow and go from there.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

If you have a local pull a part type place, obtain a 2nd cluster housing with circuit board and the cluster plug. Depending on the place, you can save money by leaving behind un-needed guages. Now you can modify the 2nd cluster with the layout you want. Some Dremel work may be required. Note the year the 2nd cluster is from, and obtain the matching cluster plug pinout. While the plugs are the same for the years of the squares, the pin layout changes. When you are ready for the swap, you can repin your existing truck's plug. You can use pins from the 2nd plug to fill in blanks if needed or to replace pins damaged during the move.

Before the installation, use the 2nd plug to test your connections.

In process of doing this for my 75 using a cluster from an 87 Suburban. Went with the LMC tach in place of the existing gas guage and separate small gas gauge. Adding LED back lights in the process. And a factory voltmeter instead of the dead Amp gauge. At my pull-a-part, gauges are $5 each for the little ones.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
MalibuSSwagon

I have a big truck type tach, and the printed circuit was junk so I used the circuit from my stock gauges setup. All lined up but I just had to solder three wires to the printed circuit and run them to the fuel gauge pins. Worked out fine.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
Rednek13x

anyone know of a tach that fits in the small open spot on the left side of the cluster? i like the big fuel gauge, but wanting to put a small tach in the open location
Rednek13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
jricharc

I am looking to put this one in where the clock would go and putting a large 5" tach in place of the large fuel gauge. I am wondering if I can just run the necessary wires to both gauges without using the printed circuits just for those two.

Gas gauge:
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/atm-3314

Tach:
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/atm-3990
Old 12-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #9
mxr515

I just finished this exact setup in my 1987 Silverado V10. Pretty easy to accomplish. I had the large fuel gauge and the clock on the lower left corner. I had bought another gauge cluster from an early 80's with a tach setup with intentions on using the tach and fuel gauge from that setup. I used the fuel gauge but the tach looks too different from my gauges so I ended up with a tach from classic parts. I had to open up a small opening behind where the fuel gauge went to accommodate the tach plug (the printed circuit has a small opening in the proper location so I did not have to cut the printed circuit at all for either the tach or fuel gauge) and i used the original fuel gauge connections to wire back to the new fuel gauge as you can see in the pics (you'll have to cut the original tabs for the fuel gauge on the inside so they don't protrude in too far and are no longer used except to solder the wires to so you can wire back to your fuel gauge). I used the factory tach wire harness that came with the early 80's cluster and it plugged directly into the fuse panel for 12v, used a ground lug that was mounted behind my dash and ran the tach lead to my distributor which already had the connection off the coil unused. Looks great and works very well. Still need to touch up the needles to match the new very orange needle on the tach but overall a very easy project if you take your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricharc View Post
So I recently bought an '86 C10 that has had it's factory V6 replaced with a 350 from an early 80's Z28. It has the Saginaw 3 speed with the shifter moved to the floor and I would like to add a tachometer to the gauges.

I am thinking my best option would be to replace the current large gas gauge that is next to the speedo with the new tach and move a new gas gauge over where the blank spot is on the left side. Has anyone done this and can they recommend any specific gauges?

I have seen a bunch where folks have done the entire cluster but that's just not in the budget so I want to find something that looks somewhat factory if possible.
Attached Images

Last edited by mxr515; 12-12-2016 at 09:54 PM.
mxr515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #10
rich weyand

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=629131

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #11
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

http://gmsports.com/content/1980-198...uge-conversion
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:21 AM   #12
akart

Or. Just put a small Auto meter tack in the small blank to the left. That is what I did.
I don't need to be looking at the large tach and it makes a simple solution.
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
jricharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by akart View Post
Or. Just put a small Auto meter tack in the small blank to the left. That is what I did.
I don't need to be looking at the large tach and it makes a simple solution.
I was thinking about that as well, was it difficult to install or pretty straight forward? Do you have any pics of your setup?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxr515 View Post
I just finished this exact setup in my 1987 Silverado V10. Pretty easy to accomplish. I had the large fuel gauge and the clock on the lower left corner. I had bought another gauge cluster from an early 80's with a tach setup with intentions on using the tach and fuel gauge from that setup. I used the fuel gauge but the tach looks too different from my gauges so I ended up with a tach from classic parts. I had to open up a small opening behind where the fuel gauge went to accommodate the tach plug (the printed circuit has a small opening in the proper location so I did not have to cut the printed circuit at all for either the tach or fuel gauge) and i used the original fuel gauge connections to wire back to the new fuel gauge as you can see in the pics (you'll have to cut the original tabs for the fuel gauge on the inside so they don't protrude in too far and are no longer used except to solder the wires to so you can wire back to your fuel gauge). I used the factory tach wire harness that came with the early 80's cluster and it plugged directly into the fuse panel for 12v, used a ground lug that was mounted behind my dash and ran the tach lead to my distributor which already had the connection off the coil unused. Looks great and works very well. Still need to touch up the needles to match the new very orange needle on the tach but overall a very easy project if you take your time.
^^This is what I did but purchased the correct font small fuel gauge as part of the swap. IMO, it get the tach in place & looks factory since all the gauges match.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #15
jricharc

Has anyone used the Tach from LMC? It seems like it might be the most economical option.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #16
1774btcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxr515 View Post
Very nice description and detailed photos mxr515!

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricharc View Post
I have done this. You will need a 5" tach. I used an autometer 5" tach, which fits in there perfectly. I used an autometer fuel gauge as well, and got rid of that little clock that didn't work anyway. For the tach, I just pulled the housing off of one, that was supposed to be a dash mount. Don't be discouraged, its all fairly simple. You just need to wire the fuel gauge over to the correct spots for the new location. As for the tach, all you do is run the wire to the distributor. Honestly none of it is very difficult.

There is only one thing I would advise you to do: Make sure you get a backlit tach. As in, make sure the light shines through the numbers/letters. Not around them. Otherwise, you will have an odd light that can be seen from the passenger side. Which you can't get rid of, because then the gauge face would have no light. I will eventually have to replace my tach with a different one because of this. So you want your tach to be sort of like a modern tach in a new car, for that reason. The numbers/letters/needle are all going to need to be translucent, so that they light up when you turn the headlights on. Basically, the gauge face can't be solid metal. You need to be able to hold a flashlight behind it, and the numbers and lines would light up.

That is the easiest way. Unless you go with a factory tach, but those aren't so great imo. They have a 0 after every number, which just throws the whole thing off.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote