The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #76
builtbyKane

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

That is a lot of hard time consuming work, but you are killing it.
builtbyKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #77
Kronald_70GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtbyKane View Post
That is a lot of hard time consuming work, but you are killing it.
Thanks!

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:54 AM   #78
Kronald_70GMC

Pretty happy with my progress tonight. Ive got the rear floor pan mostly tacked in place. Only thing that stopped me from finishing is an alignment issue. Ive measured, meausured and measured again to confirm that the cab mount holes are in the proper spot which they are. Yet for some reason the outer side of the pan near the rocker/cab corner are not lining up. It is almost 1/4" out but I cant figure out why. It is tight to the pillar where it is supposed to be so I dont know what my next move is going to be as of yet. Ill have to go visit my dad tomorrow and see if he has any ideas.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #79
Kronald_70GMC

Ok I got that figured out. After lots of measuring and double checking, I found that the outboard side of the pan was dropping. So after some discussion with OriginalThor and my dad, I made a decision. I made a releif cut that allowed me to make the correction and carried on welding. Still quite a bit of welding left but then I can finally say that the driver side is done!
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #80
Dave
DND Trucks

Thumbs up Re: My 1970 GMC Project

Man you are kicking butt on this project, nice work!

I remember just to do one side of a cab replacing inner and outer rockers, kick panel and a cab corner, was something like 40hrs of work for one side.

You've done a lot than that on this project so far and have amazing results, rock on!
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #81
Kronald_70GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Man you are kicking butt on this project, nice work!

I remember just to do one side of a cab replacing inner and outer rockers, kick panel and a cab corner, was something like 40hrs of work for one side.

You've done a lot than that on this project so far and have amazing results, rock on!
Thanks! It definatly takes a long time. It will be worth it when I get to start doing rockers and cab corners. Then I will really get to see some progress.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #82
ryans69chevy

You are cruising! You must eat, sleep, work, and work in the garage huh? your welds are looking pretty nice. What's your process? Weld it all up, planish, then flap disc? Or do you planish and then overlap your welds and repeat?

I've been checking out your pics on the floor pan replacement again while I figure out how Im going to do my floor. Didn't realize you bent the piece to butt up to existing firewall. I couldn't figure out why you did that since my cab doesn't have that but my new floor does. Ive been scratching my head until I realized when I replaced my floor pans back in high school I must have cut those out... now I have to figure that whole mess out! Just another stupid thing I did back then!

Here's the mess I did back in high school... everything is lap welded to add to the disaster. At least it should come out pretty easy since the welds aren't that great!
Attached Images

ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #83
Kronald_70GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
You are cruising! You must eat, sleep, work, and work in the garage huh? your welds are looking pretty nice. What's your process? Weld it all up, planish, then flap disc? Or do you planish and then overlap your welds and repeat?

I've been checking out your pics on the floor pan replacement again while I figure out how Im going to do my floor. Didn't realize you bent the piece to butt up to existing firewall. I couldn't figure out why you did that since my cab doesn't have that but my new floor does. Ive been scratching my head until I realized when I replaced my floor pans back in high school I must have cut those out... now I have to figure that whole mess out! Just another stupid thing I did back then!

Here's the mess I did back in high school... everything is lap welded to add to the disaster. At least it should come out pretty easy since the welds aren't that great!
Haha well Ive been pretty fortunate this week and got alot of extra time in the garage so I dont know that Ill be able to keep up this pace but Ill do my best. As far as my process goes, Ive just been tack welding and grinding flat then planish out if required. Not sure if its the correct approach but it seems to work for me. As far as your cab goes, anything is fixable if you want it bad enough. Im sure you can pull it off! Good luck.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #84
Kronald_70GMC

Ok so I got it welded in place. Im still slowly learning what setting I want on the welder. I realized towards the end that if I turn my voltage up to 2 my welds penetrate deeper and sit flatter. Now if only I realized that before hand, I wouldnt have a ton of grinding to do now. Oh well, you live and you learn.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #85
ryans69chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC View Post
Ok so I got it welded in place. Im still slowly learning what setting I want on the welder. I realized towards the end that if I turn my voltage up to 2 my welds penetrate deeper and sit flatter. Now if only I realized that before hand, I wouldnt have a ton of grinding to do now. Oh well, you live and you learn.
Been there done that! I'm always playing around with the settings on my welder. Your floor patches are looking awesome though! One of these days you will be painting...
Old 04-17-2018, 11:13 PM   #86
Kronald_70GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
Been there done that! I'm always playing around with the settings on my welder. Your floor patches are looking awesome though! One of these days you will be painting...
Well I dont know about painting but primer would be huge at this point.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #87
Kronald_70GMC

Well I know its been a long time since Ive posted so I figured it is time for an update. I have been very busy with yard work over the last 2 weeks so I havent had much of a chance to work on the truck. I did however go out to see the truck at the father-in-laws and woke her up from hibernation. I took another load of parts home which included my glove box door with the spid and I thought that was pretty cool. My grandpa also came across the owners manual which looks new so thats cool. Here are a couple pics showing how she sits.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2018, 11:12 PM   #88
Kronald_70GMC

Well Im sure some of you are wondering what happened to me by now. The cab has been sitting in the garage taunting me to get my a** back to work but this dang yardwork keeps getting in the way. I also had to rebuild my exhaust on the daily. Anyhow, tonight I finally found some time so Ive been busy. I got a modification Ive been thinking about doing roughed in on the driver side rocker panel. Ive never been a fan of the pinch weld hanging down like it was so Ive bent it to a horizontal position. Hopfully it goes as planned. I also started cutting out the passenger floor pan. Here are some pictures:
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #89
builtbyKane

it's a ton of work to refurbish these old rusted cabs but it is so rewarding when it's done and done right. Keep chugging along.
builtbyKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #90
Kronald_70GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtbyKane View Post
it's a ton of work to refurbish these old rusted cabs but it is so rewarding when it's done and done right. Keep chugging along.
Thanks man! When I get compliments like that in my thread it really motivates me

Old 09-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #91
Kronald_70GMC

Well it's been about 4 months since I've posted anything on here. This summer has been so busy with sidejobs and going to the lake and yard work and a butt load of maintenance Ive had to do to my daily driver. I have been able to get some small things done that are related to the 70. I was able to score a second frame off my brother that has been fully stripped down which will make my shortbox conversion go much smoother! I also have been hauling crushed rock off my uncles yard and into mine so I have somewhere to park the truck at home. If the weather would ever smarten up I could get some more loads home and bring the truck home! Now let's just hope that actually happens soon or I'll have to wait till spring. Any who, the sidejob I've been working for the last month is nearing completion so here's hoping I will be back on cab repairs within the next month.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #92
ryans69chevy

Welcome back! Like they say - pitter patter, let's get at 'er!
Old 09-23-2018, 10:33 PM   #93
Originalthor

Well its about time. Let her rip tatter chip!
Originalthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #94
Kronald_70GMC

Well again I haven't gotten as much done on this thing as I'd like lately but I think that's about to change! Finally not working a side job anymore so I should have all kinds of time on my hands right? I've made a huge step in my build today though. The truck is finally home! She is sitting pretty on the trailer right now awaiting me to tuck her into the yard in the morning. Hopefully more to come soon!
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #95
Kronald_70GMC

All tucked in for her winter nap. Now it's on to cleaning up the shop. That should take about a week with how messy I've got it in there from the summer. Then it will be back to cab repair!

Old 10-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #96
Kronald_70GMC

Haha oops forgot the picture...
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2018, 11:25 PM   #97
Originalthor

Well it's about time you got it in the back yard. Now just ditch that cap and you'll be off to the races. I would have to say that out of all the gm trucks these trucks just don't do caps. They look horrible.
Originalthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:27 PM   #98
Kronald_70GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalthor View Post
Well it's about time you got it in the back yard. Now just ditch that cap and you'll be off to the races. I would have to say that out of all the gm trucks these trucks just don't do caps. They look horrible.
I agree it does look terrible but it makes a nice parts garage for the time being.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #99
Kronald_70GMC

Well I'm pretty excited, I finally got my garage back in order and cleaned up. I put up another shelf to make room for more parts! And today I actually found the time to finish cutting out the passenger floor pan! Next up is to fix the small hole in the lower firewall and replace the kick panel. Pretty stoked to be making progress again. On to the pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #100
Kronald_70GMC

More progress to report. Got the kick panel and small rust spot in the lower firewall all cut out. Now tomorrow I can fab up a patch for the firewall and hopefully get it welded in. Feels so good to be working on it again!
Attached Images