The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
mrtoni

Title question

So I know floating titles is illegal. However, I bought a suburban it has a clear title signed by last owner. Shipper dropped off today. As it happens my uncle was in town and saw it being delivered. He really wants it. He wants to spend this week getting it roadworthy to drive to Colorado. Nevada dmv says six weeks on title transfer and that’s in state sale. I never signed title can he sign it and register in Colorado? No bill of sale was done it was all internet. Second question, with internet sales, how do you verify the person you buy from is actually the owner. Yes you can check if stolen and you get the truck and signed title delivered by shipper but if someone asked for a copy of my drivers license i wouldn’t do it. Thanks, not looking to do something unethical but grey area.
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
Davidf

Re: Title question

Get the money from your uncle and hand him the title so he can transfer into his name. You were just the buyers agent for your uncle.

PS: I don't care if others think this is unethical, so they should save themselves some typing if their response is directed at me.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

It's all ok as long as everyone is wearing a mask
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
gmc684x4

The only issue I see is now you need to start your search for another ride over again

Its not like your flipping 30 cars a month this way which is why I think your state has time limit on title changes
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
scf100

in a case like this....BEFORE I buy the vehicle with an OPEN TITLE ( signed title in another owners name)....I have my friendly cop run the VIN and tell me last registered owner....if it matches the title I buy it......done it many times.....

1972 C-10 Extended Cab 350 SBC
scf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
mrtoni

Good advice everyone. This is possibly illegal but not unethical I guess
Old 11-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
dmjlambert

I don't think it is illegal or unethical. I like Davidf's view, you were just helping your uncle get the truck. Your uncle's state DMV may want a bill of sale to go along with the title, or some other state form signed by the seller. I would imagine you could help your Uncle contact the seller and ask them to sign anything additional like that.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #8
weim55

In Colorado any vehicle that is registered or titled with an out of state title requires a VIN verification from a licensed station or the state patrol before they will process paperwork. So your uncle will have to have the actual vehicle in Colorado to title it. Colorado does not require a bill of sale as Colorado titles have a section for pricing on the back. If the Nevada title does not have a space for the purchase price I’m pretty darn sure he’s going to need a bill of sale here. Be a good idea to call his county DMV and verify. If the seller signed off the title and wrote in a date of the transaction your uncle will have to pay taxes from that date to the present. If it was signed off 10 years ago that’s going to be a healthy chunk of money, just something to keep in mind.....

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
hugger6933

I'm a dealer have been for over 30 years. I think the family thing is probably OK. The main reason states get panty wads over jumping titles is the tax money they miss out on. I have had different DFA [our code for the title and license people] is that you are better off trying to sell stolen trucks than jumping the title. I had not rather do either but like I said I can just add my number to a title as long as it isnt already messed up. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #10
AllGoNoShow

In NY vehicles that old don’t even need a title (I think it changes in 1972). Give em a bill of sale written on a napkin and your all set.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:54 AM   #11
mrtoni

Thanks everyone. Seeing how Nevada and Colorado have completely different systems and Nevada didn’t require any bill of sale as there is no tax on private party sales, I’m gonna transfer into my name. Dmv has expedited title for addl $40. Shoot I may put his name on Nevada title with “or” to make it easier in CO
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #12
geunther

I am not an expert by any means but Ive seen people loose out because they did not follow the law in 30 year enforcement career. I personally do not think you are acting unethically. The fact that you are seeking advice on how to do this correctly supports that.

So just make sure you do a bit of research for Colorado and Nevada laws (sounds like you have) on this. All states do things a little differently and I wouldn't want you to get jammed up. Your last post is a little confusing to me but if you could, refrain from putting both names ("or") on the title. Only because that might make your presence necessary if it was later sold in Nevada and raises other potential liability issues (again, I don't know their laws, but most states require some action by all sellers).

All that said, if it were me: Transfer title to you in Colorado, then "sell" to your uncle. Original seller's contract was with you, and its a new contract to sell to your uncle. All of this creates clear transfer of ownership.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #13
mrtoni

Yeah I thought about transferring it from last owner into both our names just to save a step. Nevada allows you to have two names on title with either “and” or “or”. With “or” my uncle would take possession of truck and title and if he chose to sell the “or” allows him to do so. But you’re right, laws very by state. In Nevada, you do not need to transfer titles to Nevada, I still have original California pink slip for my corvette but is legally registered in Nevada. Colorado might be different. Having pd do vin inspection today then off to dmv which is a whole other story ( my 16 year old had her birthday in September but closure and now backlog means no appointments until Feb)
Old 11-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #14
jocko

Having been on the receiving end of a skipped title and lived the nightmare it eventually causes someone down the road, I’d recommend do it the right way even though it takes a little more time and effort. Legality and “the right way” is defined by the DMV in your state, not by well-intentioned opinions from all over the country. Agree with geunther - right now the truck is yours. You can always sell it to your uncle. Personally, I would take your post #1, go to the DMV and tell them exactly what you want to do and then do it the way they describe it. Again, that’s just my well-intentioned opinion. I know it’s not what anyone wants to hear. I read this thread a few times, all the while wondering how many of our thousands of members happen to be CO or NV state troopers or DMV personnel.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #15
mrtoni

So I did. Paid extra $49!fir 3-5 day service. Really the bs is out of state tiptoe transfer is vin inspection and in person at dmv. Most police have scaled back non emergency services due to covid. I kind of called on a favor. Dmv booked thru February. I drove 30 miles to get it done in Carson city but they said no more that rural office is for rural residents here on out
Old 11-20-2020, 05:10 PM   #16
mrtoni

Andvdmv said I could have sold it with title in last owners name. However I didn’t tell her anything about Colorado. It the past I’ve floated a title and just gone to dmv with buyer and sworn out a statement of facts. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #17
rsavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
In NY vehicles that old don’t even need a title (I think it changes in 1972). Give em a bill of sale written on a napkin and your all set.
In NY, vehicles through 1972 have "transferable" registrations. You transfer ownership on the back of it and it acts as the title document. You wont get a NY vehicle '72 and earlier registered with just a bill of sale. You need the registration signed over and a bill of sale.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:05 AM   #18
mrtoni

Got the Nevada title today. Paid to FedEx it. It only took like 3-4 business days. Thanks
Old 11-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #19
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
In NY, vehicles through 1972 have "transferable" registrations. You transfer ownership on the back of it and it acts as the title document. You wont get a NY vehicle '72 and earlier registered with just a bill of sale. You need the registration signed over and a bill of sale.
I've registered plenty with a signed registration with no bill of sale . Just filled out the sales tax form . State just wants its sales tax ,it's one of DMVs biggest money maker .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #20
reddnecckk

so in CA, they want to know about sales tax (if paid to another state, you dont pay it in your state) AND when the car entered the state. open titles are fine as long as its registered within 10 days of ENTERING the state.

yes, this may not apply to your state/situation, but general concept of state's interest in information.

Also, some/most states have a "power of attorney" form. it allows subsequent owners to fill out forms as they wish or at will to close any loopholes in paperwork.
reddnecckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #21
vics stuff

Just a FYI . I found that some states will not allow you to put a title in your name unless you live in that state. That is what the law is in Nevada . I currently live in Alaska but have a second home in Nevada where I plan on retiring to. Until I take up residence there no titles can be transferred.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #22
kwmech

All that said, if it were me: Transfer title to you in Colorado, then "sell" to your uncle. Original seller's contract was with you, and its a new contract to sell to your uncle. All of this creates clear transfer of ownership.

That being said, I did that very thing and took it to the DMV here in town and the clerk tossed that stuff and did it the easy way. So I guess it would depend on the clerk. It's all family so why muddy it up.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote