The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
1BGTOAD

Wink newbie says hi

Just found this site, looks like it can help me out, for I can always use it(help).
I have owned a 1985 1/2ton 4X4 suburban, and am on my second, an '89 3/4ton 4X4.
Just experienced a starter failure, no symptoms, just up and quit! Started the truck up to go to the bank at lunch on fri. made the deposit, went out to leave, and no go!
Plenty of juice, radio, and all instruments working fine, interior lights bright, etc. But, no juice to the starter. A tap on the starter got her running, but when I got back to the shop, same thing, so, at closing time, back under for another persuasion tap to get her purring and off to home I go. At the ponderosa, same thing, no juice to get her cranked up!
well, make a long story shorter, I replaced the starter, with a couple of minor setbacks, but, nothing overwhelming, changed her oil, stuck her with new plugs, and I'm rolling again, thank goodness!
Bought this truck a couple years ago from the second owner, had 86K on it, now has 117K original miles.
It came from the dealer with an aftermarket upgrade, "Travelquest" which isn't the greatest conversion to begin with. Has a tacky center console, made of wood, a cheasy overhead wood socalled console, a clothes hanger on the driver side rear next to the rear AC, an aftermarket 3rd seat which bolts to the floor instead of the factory drop in and click to lock setup, cheasy "Travelquest Badges" on the front fenders and captain chairs that are aftermarket. Why the dealer selected this outfit to do this type of conversion is beyond me!
I'd like to find a factory center console, and maybe a factory overhead console, in gray, if possible!
The truck is equipped with a 350/350, I believe! I've installed a throttle body riser, K&N filter, new Cat, 3" tube and ?masterflow exhaust? Is that the correct name of the exhaust, real popular exhaust! Trying to increase mileage primarily, and it sounds good now! Didn't get the increases I'd hoped for, but, it is a Suburban. The best I can do, fully loaded, gear, dogs, people, doing 70mph, about 11/gal. hiway. I've estimated the weight in the vehicle to be close to a ton. Five guys, seven dogs, guns, ammo, water, and all misc. gear that goes on a hunting trip, now that I listed, its probably over a ton, maybe not, five guys@200 ea. seven dogs at 60ea. and gear, 3/4ton cargo!
The truck serves me well, climbs mountains pretty darn good, no rock crawler of course, but, does get me into the outback and only been stuck once, so far!
I'd love to step up to a Quad steer, Duramax, 4X4, sunroof, and all the other amenities, at least, pdl, pw, ac, CD, brush guards with a front winch, rr, ladder and spare tire carrier, high lift jack, jerry cans, something rigged for the outback!
But, in the meantime, the trusty '89 gets me to where I usually want to go, I drove my '85 almost into the ground, bought it with 63K and sold it to my cousin with over 200K, he's still using!
I'll be checking in, this is looking like a very helpful site, thanks for letting me in!
1BGTOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Mudder

Welcome to the site...........
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #3
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Liz is offline   Reply With Quote