The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
BlueChipCal

57 GMC / C4 Build

Hey guys,

Long time listener. First time caller.

I really enjoy reading through the build threads on here and wanted to try my hand at writing one for a change.

The Intro

It all started when I dragged this little heap home. She has been [strike] rotting [/strike] sitting patiently in the yard waiting for things to fall into place. Three years later, her time has come.

The Truck

The title says it is a 1955 long bed GMC 100. From the looks of it she got a '57 nose job somewhere along the way. It's not in the best of shape by any means, but it is mostly complete and should suit my needs pretty well.

The Story

Growing up, my neighbor used to build some of the coolest cars in town. He worked full time at the pipe factory down the street. After work he would spend all night hand shaping sheet metal, porting cylinder heads, and calculating chassis geometry in his little one car detached garage. I would always pester him to see what he was working on and was amazed at the passion he had for the craft. The junk he would drag in there was almost unrecognizable when he was done. I remember an f100 he found out in a field that had a tree growing through the cab. He went out there with his chainsaw, chopped down the tree and drug that rusted carcass of a truck home. Another time he found a split bumper Camaro that an old barn had collapsed on. He tore down and hauled away the barn then proceeded to dig what was left of the car out of the mud pit that was left behind. When everyone else saw a lost cause he saw opportunity. I really admired that and it is something that has stuck with me to this day. For years I have been trying to talk him into helping me with a build. Besides the obvious cool factor of driving a custom truck, but also the sentimental value of having a little piece of a childhood fantasy come true.

TLDR

I'm building a truck with the help of a couple of old friends.

The Plan

A custom tube chassis c4 suspension and drivetrain.
Fuel injected Lt1
Manual trans
Dana 44 with 4.10 Gears
Ididit steering column
Dakota digital gauges
Custom bed and tailgate
Vintage air kit
Under bed gas tank
Bucket seats

The Goal

I did a quick comp of what it looks like in my head.

Got a long way to go...

Let's get to building.
BlueChipCal is offline   Reply With Quote