The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
wingnut62

Wifey's 65 C10

OK, so I read all the posts by the members and I hesitate to jump in here as there are so many beautiful projects, I now feel like a rookie. My disclaimer for any future misstatements, bad decisions, not so smart modifications, etc.

I wanted to begin a thread on the build of the 65 C10 that I am doing for my wife. She said she wanted something to go to the feed store and get her chicken feed and had expressed an interest in an older pickup. Well my ears perked and I jumped at the opportunity like a duck on a June bug.

I recommended that she 'consider' the older Chevy trucks and suggested that she look at a few on the internet. After carefully guiding her to some very nice examples, she gave me a tentative, preliminary, sort of okay go ahead nod.

Well being the ever enthusiastic wanting to please my wife kind of guy, I began looking for a suitable candidate. Suffice it to say that whenever I am in the market, the possibilities are few and far BUT when I am NOT in the market, they are everywhere. So nothing changed there and I found a (what I thought) decent unit in the central Texas area.

I ultimately purchased the truck and drug it home for the 'refresh'. What was supposed to be a simple face lift has turned into a all out frame off full resto. Due to the previous owner misrepresenting the vehicle in a bad way. Basically it had a bent frame which I failed to detect and only did so when I had it stripped down and walked around the front of it one night. The right tire was about 1.5" offset as it relates to the left front tire. My heart sank when I realized the magnitude of this new development. Oh well I pushed forward regardless. Damn the torpedo's and bent frames.

After some time on a frame machine, I've gone through the frame with all new suspension components from CPP, dropped the front and rear. Converted from 6 lug to 5. New 13 in big discs up front, 500 series power steering from CPP. New axles (had to re-drill which is no fun) new ring and pinion, all rebuilt rear end, relocated fuel tank, removed all rivets and welded joints, etc, etc, etc. I will begin posting pics of my progress for all to enjoy.

The truck has an LQ4 in front of a 4L60E with all the required do-dads, harness work, sensors and so on. I do not have a pic of the truck when I first picked it up unfortunately but do have it beginning from the frame. sorry.

Hopefully as I add more to this thread, my pics will improve as well as my ability to add verbiage to said pics. Sorry for the sideways engine bay shot.
Attached Images

Last edited by wingnut62; 04-09-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: pic info
wingnut62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: Wifey's 65 C10

Sounds like a plan!
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Wifey's 65 C10

that 4l60e won't be able to handle the torque of it. The 6.0's were never matched with a 4l60e, only the 4l80e in Automatic. I would replace the trans with the 80.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote