The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
70cst

When Selling parts ...

I am starting to sell my extra 70 parts off and shipping small parts is no big deal but ... If you have large parts be sure to get a quote first.
Prices has really gone up... Lesson learned.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
68bowtie

Re: When Selling parts ...

That’s a bummer. Craigslist buyers evaporated, feebay started automatically charging sales tax on used parts (at least in CA), and now shipping prices through the roof. I haven’t parted anything in a while, and probably won’t. That’s how I was funding my project, guess I need to find a new option.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

I wouldn't necessarily think that buyer's have disappeared, but it seems that in some regions they have migrated to FB, or Offerup or one of the other new places. You just need to figure out where they have gone to.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
70cst

Buyers for our trucks are out there and there are plenty of buyers on these forums but... my point is ... when selling larger size parts - it might be best to get shipping cost. I just sold a part for $75 and shipping was $57. But I shipped it.

I have another part that shipping will be between $90-$110... If I cannot get cheaper shipping costs I will do a refund. One loss is enough for me but lesson learned.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
junkman

I sell quite a bit, and shipping has definitely crept up. Anything over a few pounds fedex is going to be by far cheapest. If you set up a fedex account where you can print your own labels it will save quite a bit also over taking it to the counter.
junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
basketcase

I always advertise the parts price plus actual shipping costs. Once I sell the part and get the address I find out the shipping costs. If the buyer doesn't want to pay that much I'll let him out of the deal. Sometimes it's just not worth it to have a part shipped. I never list a price shipping included. I don't like giving stuff away unless that was my original intent.

Tom
Old 10-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
tinman_local2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
That’s a bummer. Craigslist buyers evaporated, feebay started automatically charging sales tax on used parts (at least in CA), and now shipping prices through the roof. I haven’t parted anything in a while, and probably won’t. That’s how I was funding my project, guess I need to find a new option.
I don't think they've evaporated. I, for one, don't pay the crazy prices some ask for their items on Craigslist. I prefer to buy the old fashioned way of searching backwoods and swap meets. You would be surprised how many trucks are still around.
tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #8
best view

Fastenal and greyhound is the way to go on big parts I only buy on here so that it’s easier to work that stuff out with a member
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
flashed

I buy on here and willing to pay the shipping when its something I really need . I sell as much as possible locally and will ship smaller items on the buyers dime . I will not ship large items as it takes too much time to package items to get a shipping quote just to be told they are no longer interested due to high shipping cost quotes . Plus all the shipping locations are not very close to me .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #10
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman_local2 View Post
I don't think they've evaporated. I, for one, don't pay the crazy prices some ask for their items on Craigslist. I prefer to buy the old fashioned way of searching backwoods and swap meets. You would be surprised how many trucks are still around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily think that buyer's have disappeared, but it seems that in some regions they have migrated to FB, or Offerup or one of the other new places. You just need to figure out where they have gone to.
Yeah I agree with both of you guys, I was not saying buyers have disappeared, just that buyers have disappeared from craigslist. In my region they’ve all gone to Facebook marketplace but I don’t do social media. Offerup is pretty dry too.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #11
Clatterville trolley

I live in Mid Missouri and sell some on FB Marketplace and it is a little rocky sometimes, but if you can stand the multitude of "Is it still available?" sales can and do trickle in. As for Craigslist, I still advertise there and sell some there as well.
On here I advertise as shipping included and have gotten burned a time or two on really heavy or long items. However, I like not having to research shipping to a dozen different zip codes and keeping track of all the responses. Just my personal preference.
Best is if someone lives close enough to respond to an ad by coming to my house - they almost always end up buying more than they started out looking for when they get a chance to look over the parts I have already off of trucks that have been parted out and the partial trucks I have waiting to be parted or sold outright.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #12
SIXTY9

Has anyone noticed that JEGS free shipping is now $149.00?
SIXTY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:37 PM   #13
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by best view View Post
Fastenal and greyhound is the way to go on big parts I only buy on here so that it’s easier to work that stuff out with a member
And sometimes the USPS can be really, really slow

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote