The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2023, 11:42 AM   #1
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

Suspension now that ECE is no more

Who you guys using for 2/4 drop now that ECE is gone? Any recommendations these days?

72 C10 btw. left that part out

-Homer Simpson

Last edited by stingray72; 02-09-2023 at 12:04 PM.
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:55 PM   #2
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: Suspension now that ECE is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray72 View Post
Who you guys using for 2/4 drop now that ECE is gone? Any recommendations these days?

McGaughys stuff is great quality and just had a drop kit on my truck. You just want to go springs ?

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:21 PM   #3
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
McGaughys stuff is great quality and just had a drop kit on my truck. You just want to go springs ?
Prob springs and shocks at minimum. Don't mind upgrading other parts also to make it drive / handle better

-Homer Simpson
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:58 PM   #4
jimijam00

Asked and answered. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841733
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:39 PM   #5
MikeB

Have to say I don't like it when someone says that a question has already been "asked and answered", implying the subject has already been discussed, and there is no more to be said! But if you want to say, "Here's a link to more info on the subject," well, that's fine. If that was not your intent, I apologize.

Years ago I was on a dirt bike forum where the admins would jump in with a nasty reply if you asked a question that had already been answered, never mind that other forum members may have something to add. In fact, one their rules was that you must do a search before asking a question. So instead of a forum, it was more like an encyclopedia.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:21 PM   #6
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray72 View Post

As others have mentioned, MCGaughys makes a great kit.

Just some things to consider. Your truck probably sits 1.5" or so lower now than it did from the factory. The springs have settled over time. The main issue with doing a 'spring only' drop is those drop springs are measured against a new stock height spring. So the 2" drop spring for example would be 2" shorter than a NEW stock spring. Not a 25yr old spring that has had a life of farm use. 2" drop spring = ".5 lower, maybe 1" if you're lucky.

A spindle drop will cost more up front, but using spindles you will net exactly what the spindle is advertised to do. 2" drop spindles = 2" lower.

Spindle drop - be careful if you have 15" wheels. You can run into issues there.

Spindle drop, you don't really need to align your truck after you finish. The spindles don't change the geometry of the front end like drop springs will. So the cost of your alignment essentially pays for the difference in price. Spindles vs. Springs. They will pay for themselves

4" rear drop you will want to consider rear shock relocation, and an adjustable rear track bar to do it correctly.

Id do 2.5" spindles up front and 4" rear drop springs. I like McGaugys, or Hotchkis springs depending on the budget.

Add a front sway bar while you have it apart.. it will help a whole lot.
Let me know if you have questions.
Later.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:51 PM   #7
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
As others have mentioned, MCGaughys makes a great kit.

Just some things to consider. Your truck probably sits 1.5" or so lower now than it did from the factory. The springs have settled over time. The main issue with doing a 'spring only' drop is those drop springs are measured against a new stock height spring. So the 2" drop spring for example would be 2" shorter than a NEW stock spring. Not a 25yr old spring that has had a life of farm use. 2" drop spring = ".5 lower, maybe 1" if you're lucky.

A spindle drop will cost more up front, but using spindles you will net exactly what the spindle is advertised to do. 2" drop spindles = 2" lower.

Spindle drop - be careful if you have 15" wheels. You can run into issues there.

Spindle drop, you don't really need to align your truck after you finish. The spindles don't change the geometry of the front end like drop springs will. So the cost of your alignment essentially pays for the difference in price. Spindles vs. Springs. They will pay for themselves

4" rear drop you will want to consider rear shock relocation, and an adjustable rear track bar to do it correctly.

Id do 2.5" spindles up front and 4" rear drop springs. I like McGaugys, or Hotchkis springs depending on the budget.

Add a front sway bar while you have it apart.. it will help a whole lot.
Let me know if you have questions.
Later.

Timely post for me. For years I have been up and down whether to drop my truck and decided to get it done as was replacing the whole front end too. So last Saturday the bud who is doing the work for me got the truck back on the ground after the front end rebuild and a 2 1/2 spindle with 4 inch rear drop spring and shock relocators and an adjustable panhard bar all McGaughy stuff. I was wanting that slightly low lean level look and when I got the picture of the truck on the ground I noticed the front was okay but the rear was down further than the front. Wondering why it was like that and discussing with another friend we concluded that as you said the 4 inch drop is based on a regular new stock 1/2 ton Spring. I then realized that my truck has the G50 Heavy rear Spring option, which is probably taller than the stock spring, so I've probably gone down 5 or more inches using the 4 inch lowering spring. Also the G50 Spring, pictured, is progressive where as the lowering springs are not. Waiting for the truck to be finished and mobile and then will decide how to raise the rear. As u can see my truck sat pretty level on the 17's before the drop.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 09:27 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Hey Sting Ray, long time no see! I believe it was '06 when I met you before work in the Bell South parking lot in the heart of Atlanta to pick up that GMC grille. Still have that Jimmy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
I took that thread to not be answering the question asked. I saw it as him asking who "makes" the best parts and the answers came in as "where" to buy various brands. ECE both made their lowering parts AS WELL AS were an excellent supportive knowledgeable with good customer service supplier to buy from.

On quality of parts I'd go with McGaughy's. on where to buy, I'd find who sells that brand and go with the vendor with best reputation. A lot of the smaller enthusiast based vendors give the best specific information, such as our site vendors here

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-11-2023 at 09:35 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote