The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
7T2

Autozone Rewards - anybody still sticking with the program?

I've used this program to my advantage to the tune of probably $100 in free parts, but it's getting so cumbersome I'm about to throw in the towel. Seems like Advance Auto is on to them and is starting to offer lower-hassle discounts.

Here's a brief summary of my experience with the program:

-Started out as a punch-card deal with no restrictions, 5 $20 purchases, 5 punches, $20 gift card. Awesome.

-Went to a bar code card due to abuse of the punch card system. Still no restrictions, no problem.

-Added time restrictions, must make purchases in a certain amount of time (6 months I think) or points "drop off". Also must use reward within certain time period or you lose it (90 days I think). OK, not as convenient as before, but I can deal with that. Just have to keep close track of when I get points and when I have to use rewards by.

-Now you can't get more than one point in a 24 hour period. This is more than an inconvenience, but I can STILL use it to my advantage by buying parts for, say, a brake job during the week $20 at a time, and usually have enough points for the discount by the weekend.

Here's where it gets interesting:

-I made a purchase, we'll say for $28 before taxes. Earned one point. Discovered that one of the belts I bought for $9 is wrong. Correct belt costs $10. Rather than just doing an exchange and charging me a dollar, they take the $9 off my previous purchase, which brings the total to $19, and subtracts the point I earned from my card! THEN they ring up the new belt as a $10 purchase, so I don't get a point for that either! I don't know this is happening until I get my receipt and see that the point total is one less than the day before. I was told nothing could be done by the kid behind the counter. Not only does this piss me off and make me not want to shop there ever again, it prompts me to go to their website to voice my displeasure to somebody higher up. It is then that I discover there is a separate website that you can sign up for that tracks all your reward points and purchases, and also allows you to request points for situations like what I just described, or even if you were just in the store but didn't have your card with you. OK, that's pretty cool, get my point back and decide to press on, since I only needed one more point to get another $20.

-So yesterday I go in because I needed brake calipers, and I have a $20 credit on my card. Buy the calipers for $24, and pay the $22 core charge, using the $20 credit on my rewards card. TODAY I go in to return the cores and get my money back, and when the guy scans it he says "did you use your rewards card when you purchased these?" "Yes." "Well, the $20 will be added back to your rewards card, and you will get $2 in cash." WTF? Whatever, I need more than $20 worth of stuff anyway. So I get some tranny fluid, and have the girl behind the counter cut me off some vacuum line, and it ends up being $24. I hand her my rewards card and tell her it has $20 on it. She scans it, and it says it is not available for use. The guy who took care of my refund says sometimes it takes up to 24 hours for it to appear back on my card, even though the receipt for my return clearly shows it is there. He suggests I come back later. "Well, I kinda need this stuff now." The girl (who knows I come in there a lot, and is way cool) offers to ring the stuff up later for me and I can take it now. So I left my rewards card there and my CC number, and that's where I'm at now.

What a crock! There was even a time when I bought a caliper for $19.99, and I had to buy a candy bar to get my bonus point. It's a good deal, but you really have to stay on top of it anymore to make it work for you. Advance Auto now offers $20 store credit for $100 store purchases, so it seems like that will be the way to go in the future for things like brake jobs and such. For purchases just over $20 I guess I'll still do the Autozone thing, but I'll just have to make sure I do 5 of them within 6 months. With my discovery of the website, I think it will remind you if you have points expiring.

Getting off my soapbox now...
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
nate_g_2003

Re: Autozone Rewards - anybody still sticking with the program?

They gave me one of the barcoded cards when I bought some cleaning stuff one time, which I never used. I never shop at AutoZone, I'm all O'Reilly. Only reason I went to AZ was because it was on my way home and OR was way out of the way.
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Sicklajoie
The Niner

The only reason I go to Autozone is because they sell Kendall Oil there.
I really don't pay attention to that Rewards crap. They're going to get you one way or another.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Yep, we still use it and get stuff as well. AZ happens to be closest to the house, and easiest to get to.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
7T2

It's a good deal, but man, it was a lot easier when they had punch cards. Too much abuse though, some people have to ruin it for others...
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Dunenutt
Newbee

Pep Boy's just sends me gift cards in the mail. No BS, I just give em my phone number.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

i spit on pep boys ,worst company to work for in the automotive business ,sorry but i work for them for about 2 months ,quit after 2 weeks notice on last day they tried to pull some crap about labor laws and not pay for my overtime i put in the last week,i though i was helping them out by working o/t so they can train a replacement ,thanks pepboys
sorry for the rant
no i dont use the AZ

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
lilpoindexter

I don't use the program, because I don't want to bust out a card or what not, just too much hassle. I don't like Pepboys because they wouldn't give me my money back for a cheap pitman arm puller that bent when I tried to use it...after making a fuss, they gave me pep-bucks or whatever they call them...I bought oil and filters with the pep boys gift card, and haven't gone back.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
landsurvey1

I use AZ discount card, it has worked good for me.I just make sure I have at least $20.00 worth of things too buy before I go there.
landsurvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
tow guys

My good buddy works at the AZ in town and hooks me up with a ton of great deals. I do alot of repairs and maintenance on my buddies cars and trucks in my local club so I spend quite a bit in AZ cause I usually make the purchase and get reimbursed afterwards to get the rewards. With it, I generally buy generic detail and wash stuff to be raffled off at our monthly events and get togethers. It's a win win for everyone!
tow guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
81ShrtBox
MadMan

I only go there for last minute stuff. I shop www.rockauto.com on most of the stuff I need..cheap, i can shop from work and when i get my days off its already at the house. for a fraction of the cost
Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Just go to your local "real" auto parts store. Deal with a parts man, get the right parts, less hassle, less aggrivation.
specialtyretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyretail View Post
Just go to your local "real" auto parts store. Deal with a parts man, get the right parts, less hassle, less aggrivation.
If only there were some. I spent 8 years in the Parts business.
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Your right OJ, these folks behind the counter are nothing more than order takers, not real parts people.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

i use Advance most of the time...just recently rebuilt the entire front suspension of my '93 S-10...i try to do most of my ordering online...find the part #'s or just search the site, enter what i want, & go pick it up within an hour...and if you go to retailmenot.com, there are lots of discount codes for your purchases...i figure out what will save me the most based on the purchases, enter the codes, & checkout...i even place multiple orders if it gets me a better deal....only time i deal with the person behind the counter is when i go pick the stuff up....did this with some stuff for my '66 C10, old '89 VW Cabby, & now the S-10....it works out great!

btw, i have the AZ card too...i've redeemed rewards only a couple times after owning it for years....only thing i have against O'reilly is that they won't price match other online competitors....Advance will price match Rockauto (have done it)

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote