The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
edhtrd71

warning wilwood d52 upgrade

I ordered the d52 upgrade caliper kit for my 71 swb. When ordering I asked about brake lines and was told i needed to know the length to order which i didnt know. The sales guy told me dont worry the stock lines will work. Well the stock lines were not long enough so i put it back together and needed 1.5 inch longer. Sales guy said they had 14 inch hose kit which was perfect. When the lines came in they measured 15.5 inches and had wrong fittings, so again i put the stock brakes back on goin through lots of brake fluid. Called wilwood was charged 37 dollars for the correct fittings was told i would get JOBBER price for the mix up, thanks alot. Recieved the fittings with reciept no discount some extra misc. charge and 12 dollars ground shipping which cost more than the caliper kit and brake line kit, go figure. Installed brakes and my 15 inch rallys (wheel vintiques) will not fit the caliper is interfering, after i was told they would fit. Will not be calling wilwood because they have terrible attitudes, I guess you have to be big budget to get descent service. sorry so long. wanted to warn everyone before ordering this kit or any other products from them.
edhtrd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Re: warning wilwood d52 upgrade

I see Wilwood has a feed back link.

You might want to let them know how you feel
and maybe someone (other than the sales staff)
can make it right for you.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with them.

Good luck!
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
edhtrd71

Thanks I may try although I think I would prefer to have just learned my lesson than to let them cause me any more frustration. My next upgrade was going to be 12 bolt rear disk brakes from them to keep all of the parts from the same company. Now I am thinking the early classics big drum kit will be the way to go. My truck is stripped down to be as light as possible for goin fast and cornering. I am wandering how well others have liked the drum kit, if it was a nice improvement. My truck stops very well know but Im always looking for improvement.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I have a set mounted up with truck rally wheels, and drop spindles.
They fit fine.
I did convert to a steel braided brake lines with AN fittings.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 03-06-2011 at 05:54 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
edhtrd71

Glad to hear they fit for you. I ordered some 1/4 inch spacers that should be in late this week. I already miss driving it. I dont really mind the spacers as they will push the wheels out just a little more which will be just about perfect, and I dont think they are thick enough to cause troubles.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
tech@scottshotrods

we sale the kit with lines and fittings and are running a killer forum special... Wilwood is not a retailer but will take retail non discount orders. if you are looking for a deal give one of us vendors on the forum a shot

Last edited by tech@scottshotrods; 04-05-2011 at 02:48 PM.
tech@scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I know you were told they would fit with your wheels, but its probably because they list "fits with 15' wheels" so thats what a sales guy will tell you. They usually have a product spec sheet available to look at online, which will tell you the maximum i/d for the rims in order to still fit.
I have a high offset steel wheel (15) on the rear, and you can't even fit stock truck drums inside of them without milling them down.

They guys at Scott's were good to me when I called and got my d52 kit from them.

As for the fittings, that does suck and I would definately try to get some sort of comp for the shipping you had to pay.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
Scottshotrods

I know it was already posted by Jon,I will say this if you guys are looking for great support and great prices and killer deals on wilwood we have you covered 100%

Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
db caissie

sorry I'm late in on this one but I've just started reserching this for a customer of mine, (my father actually), I looked at an ssbc caliper a year or so ago that was ultimatly the same design as this wilwood caliper, my concern is how the 52 pad actually mounts to the caliper. The original pad mounts with a clip for the inside of the caliper piston cup, but with both the ssbc and the wilwood caliper that mounting solution doesn't make any sense to me. We had a ssbc caliper and a new set of pads in my store before I sold it to my customer(father), and couldn't understand how the pad will stay secure on the dual piston side of the caliper without rattling and wearing prematurly. Long story short, I lost the sale. anybody have some insight on this one?
db caissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
db caissie

on another note. please don't be so quick to start bashing the original place where you had your problems, try another sales guy. I work in an autosupply store, some other coworkers don't know **** about anything, it;s just a job. Just ask for the guy that drives that lowered old pickup outside, thats where you'll get results!
db caissie is offline   Reply With Quote