The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
eurospec1

Been extremely dissapointed with mail order parts suppliers for this project

Sorry to vent, but this is getting a little frustrating, here are my experiences so far

First, why does it seem most of the vender's (with the exception of Brothers) have websites that are old and impossible to navigate, incomplete, cant figure shipping, and just plain inadequate? I have been building cars for years, and never ran into such a problem before in any style of vehicle that i have needed parts for. I don't get it, if your business is mail order parts, please bring your website out of the 1990's, i mean one of our major suppliers website looks like they scanned their catalog...

My first order, i bought parts from a vender because everyone said they have the best sheet metal, and wont sell ya the Chinese junk, so i ordered some rockers for my 68, and low and behold i received Chinese junk that did not fit, i made a phone call and the problem was fixed, and tri-plus parts sent out to me, but this put my off schedule by a week.

Second order, i ordered a inner-fender, front end bolt kit, and battery tray. Inner fender arrives, but no bolt kit or battery tray, turns out to try and save on shipping the wrapped the bolt kit and battery tray inside the inner fender, but only with bubble wrap, so of course, battery tray and bolt kit were lost. So, another phone call is made new battery tray is sent out, but they don't have any more bolt kits in stock so they will refund me for that. 2.5 weeks later, still no refund so i have to call back AGAIN to get my refund, excuses are made and i get my money back, but this whole ordeal costs me about another week on the project. at this point i didn't even want to bring up the HUGE crease that was put in the inner fender during shipping because they did not pack it well enough, i'm gonna just have to pay my body man to fix that.

So, try number 3, i order the front end bolt kit form another vender, its a bit more pricey but it clearly states that it includes the mounting hardware for the radiator support, which the other did not so i thought sweet ill get it, i order it, and suddenly a hidden shipping charge of 17$ that was NOT displayed on checkout shows up on my account, well i guess their website was designed in the 70's and cant figure shipping correctly, so without notification they just charge the card, and to top it all off, i receive the kit, and it does NOT have any hardware to mount the radiator support! I just emailed this company, and have not heard back yet, but either way this is going to put my back another week.

I know this is a long drawn out vent, but it is so frustrating, ive been ordering parts and other things online for years, and NEVER had this many problems..
Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Shyguy

Re: Been extremely dissapointed with mail order parts suppliers for this project

I am not sure what vendor or vendors you have been ordering from so I really can not comment on their service or parts.

All the stuff I have ordered from GMCPaul's has been good. I also order from Classic Parts and have got good service and parts there.

My son orders from the Truck Shop and so far has not had a problem.

I know there are some good vendors on this website, hopefully some one else will chime in.

You are right a lot of websites are pretty inadequate. I have not had a problem with the websites for Classic Parts or the Truck Shop. Of course I usually get catalogs from different places. If you have not got a catalog from LMC order one, it is really good for a reference. I rarely order from them myself.

Good luck in your search for parts.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
hjewell2

Re: Been extremely dissapointed with mail order parts suppliers for this project

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurospec1 View Post
Sorry to vent, but this is getting a little frustrating, here are my experiences so far

First, why does it seem most of the vender's (with the exception of Brothers) have websites that are old and impossible to navigate, incomplete, cant figure shipping, and just plain inadequate? I have been building cars for years, and never ran into such a problem before in any style of vehicle that i have needed parts for. I don't get it, if your business is mail order parts, please bring your website out of the 1990's, i mean one of our major suppliers website looks like they scanned their catalog...

My first order, i bought parts from a vender because everyone said they have the best sheet metal, and wont sell ya the Chinese junk, so i ordered some rockers for my 68, and low and behold i received Chinese junk that did not fit, i made a phone call and the problem was fixed, and tri-plus parts sent out to me, but this put my off schedule by a week.

Second order, i ordered a inner-fender, front end bolt kit, and battery tray. Inner fender arrives, but no bolt kit or battery tray, turns out to try and save on shipping the wrapped the bolt kit and battery tray inside the inner fender, but only with bubble wrap, so of course, battery tray and bolt kit were lost. So, another phone call is made new battery tray is sent out, but they don't have any more bolt kits in stock so they will refund me for that. 2.5 weeks later, still no refund so i have to call back AGAIN to get my refund, excuses are made and i get my money back, but this whole ordeal costs me about another week on the project. at this point i didn't even want to bring up the HUGE crease that was put in the inner fender during shipping because they did not pack it well enough, i'm gonna just have to pay my body man to fix that.

So, try number 3, i order the front end bolt kit form another vender, its a bit more pricey but it clearly states that it includes the mounting hardware for the radiator support, which the other did not so i thought sweet ill get it, i order it, and suddenly a hidden shipping charge of 17$ that was NOT displayed on checkout shows up on my account, well i guess their website was designed in the 70's and cant figure shipping correctly, so without notification they just charge the card, and to top it all off, i receive the kit, and it does NOT have any hardware to mount the radiator support! I just emailed this company, and have not heard back yet, but either way this is going to put my back another week.

I know this is a long drawn out vent, but it is so frustrating, ive been ordering parts and other things online for years, and NEVER had this many problems..
If I may ask what vender or vender's did you use?
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
eurospec1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjewell2 View Post
If I may ask what vender or vender's did you use?
In the interest of fairness i decided to leave the names out, what i will say is i have not used any vender's that are not paying sponsor's on this website...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
rob32472

I feel your pain... with the economy in a down turn suppliers are keeping less stock...... My advice is to call and check stock prior to order.... I know it is a pain but it takes less time than sitting around waiting on parts....
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I've had a few setbacks myself, got a real nice power steering line from LMC that won't fit anything (yea, I know better) and a 'factory stock' fuel line I spent hours trying to make work, finally threw it away.
Live and learn I guess.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I'm sorry you are having such an awful time with something you should be enjoying. Personally,I think because of computers people have come to expect too much. All I know is I've never ordered anything online and have never had a problem. I have never ordered a part where I didn't talk to anybody and I have never had any surprises. Most vendors are small time businesses,and many are side businesses born of the owners being enthusiasts. And,those are the ones I deal with. I also don't have a deadline. At least not a short term one where a week makes a difference. This ain't no TV show....LOL! I have been mail ordering since the '70s and it is a fabulous resource and I always enjoy working on trucks. I guess I'm glad I'm a bit stuck in the past.Seems like a better place the more time goes by

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
tattoed71

i know who ur talking about had the same thing just diffrent parts,i feel yea bud. but what gets me is when u order the part, and the guy on the phone shows they have 13 in stock, then 11 weeks later half shows up cause its on backorder.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
eurospec1

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm sorry you are having such an awful time with something you should be enjoying. Personally,I think because of computers people have come to expect too much. All I know is I've never ordered anything online and have never had a problem. I have never ordered a part where I didn't talk to anybody and I have never had any surprises. Most vendors are small time businesses,and many are side businesses born of the owners being enthusiasts. And,those are the ones I deal with. I also don't have a deadline. At least not a short term one where a week makes a difference. This ain't no TV show....LOL! I have been mail ordering since the '70s and it is a fabulous resource and I always enjoy working on trucks. I guess I'm glad I'm a bit stuck in the past.Seems like a better place the more time goes by
that's just it, i buy dozens of items per month online, either car parts or other hobby items, and i have only run into this rash of really bad web service since i have started ordering parts for my truck, i just don't get it..
Old 01-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Top Banana

(Top Banana)
Old 01-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Have you posted any of this on the Review Board? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...aysprune=&f=26

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

eurospec....as mentioned above, we have a review board for just what you are talking about...I am moving this thread to the review board and would think it is important to mention the "vendors" that you have had issues with so other folks looking to buy will get your viewpoint on specific vendors you have dealt with....Thanks in advance!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
Top Banana

we definately screwed the pooch on the bolt kit and battery tray. Our UPS guy wrapped those two pieces in bubble wrap and then wrapped that "Package" inside the inner fender to try to make it one package. That wasn't to save us money, it was to save the customer money, and it didn't work well. We sent the replacement battery tray out and did take longer than we should have processing the refund on the bolt kit. Simply put there were too many people involved and the situation should have been "Hand Carried" start to finish.

We're grateful for the business opportunity and don't mind admitting mistakes.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
truckdude239

wow i've ordered from top banana before and have nothing but praise with them

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
Tmwoodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
wow i've ordered from top banana before and have nothing but praise with them
I haven't, but to see them step in and admit fault when no names were being mentioned impresses me personally. I'll give them a shot.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurospec1 View Post
In the interest of fairness i decided to leave the names out, what i will say is i have not used any vender's that are not paying sponsor's on this website...
If there are issues with specific vendors, and they are not discussed.. we have no way of knowing. We do hold the site vendors to a high set of standards. They know this and as far as we are aware of, stick to that. Sometimes there are issues that are out of anyones control.. sometimes it is communication, and sometimes it is what it is. The bottom line is, if these are posted in review, the vendors as well as customers have a chance to discuss the issues and most times come to a mutual happy ending.
Thank you..
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
we definately screwed the pooch on the bolt kit and battery tray. Our UPS guy wrapped those two pieces in bubble wrap and then wrapped that "Package" inside the inner fender to try to make it one package. That wasn't to save us money, it was to save the customer money, and it didn't work well. We sent the replacement battery tray out and did take longer than we should have processing the refund on the bolt kit. Simply put there were too many people involved and the situation should have been "Hand Carried" start to finish.

We're grateful for the business opportunity and don't mind admitting mistakes.
This is the perfect example as to why these posts should be in the review area. Thank you for following up on this.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
eurospec1

The reason i did not want to mention names was because top banana was very easy to deal with over the phone, and for the most part on top of things and fixed it the best they could so i didn't feel calling them out was appropriate, the time delays are what is frustrating, i dont have a lot of time to get things done, so these kind of problems really cost me alot.

Unfortunetily i just found out from my body man it is going to cost me more to fix the fender well then it cost me to buy it, i guess the hits just keep on coming.

lastly, i still have not heard back from the vender who i bought the second bolt kit from, it was southern Kentucky classics, ill write back here with a resolution when and if they get back to me.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
eurospec1

Still no answer to my emails from southern kentucky classics, guess they dont have near the customer service skills that top banana has