The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #1
KyleSeal

How Much Paint? + Epoxy Primer Question

Looking to use this SEM's Hotrod black/satin, and it only comes in quarts (and is expensive!!) and so I'm on a budget. I need to know how much it takes to do a full 70 long bed, with interior (dash, ceiling, pillars and door jambs) along with firewall, and wheel wells.

Another question - is epoxy primer okay to be used as a final coat on my firewall? I'm not building an award winner. Mainly a cruiser/daily if I can.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: How Much Paint? + Epoxy Primer Question

Last question first. It is ok, but your not gonna be very happy with it.The reason I say this is cause the epoxy has no fill properties what so ever. I always follow the epoxy with high build I use a ton of if.
That brings me to my first question, how much. Now I've got a frame off in my shop now and just have bought the third gallons of both epoxy and high build. But the truck has been primed inside and out top and bottom. also the primer has been used on other things in the shop so maybe two gallons of each could be devoted to this truck. Doing the inside and out does take a lot of material to do
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
craigg1

Im also fixing to paint mine black/satin, I ended up going with Eastwood rat rod satin black, but I debated on SEM's Hotrod black/satin which seems to get a lot of good reviews.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

My shortbed stepside took a gallon and a quart of single stage (plus the mixers) to do 2 coats of only the outside of the truck (I didn't do under the hood, interior, or in the bed, exterior only), if that gives you any idea. It takes a lot of material.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
hugger6933

Those material usages were based on assuming that you will be using a HVLP gun witch uses a LOT less stuff than a Sharpe 77 or Binks #7.Those are conventional type guns called siphon type [they have the cup below the gun]. I say every bit of two gallons of paint I know that isn't what you wanted to hear but it does take a lot of stuff to cover that much truck. Oh by the way the truck I'm speaking of is a short bed[ the one that has me 5 gallons of primer down right now]I do have almost everything in prime except the door hinges the cowl panel and the tailgate and hood.
So I'm gonna say if you plan on it turning out pretty nice, and for the amount of work you have to do to get one ready for primer I would plan on two gallons of epoxy and two of high build.
Check the price on Omni MP172 mixing hardner is MP175, high build MP282 with activator is MH283 with a med reducer[to aid in flow] of MR186 it can be used in both.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote