The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
BHyatt

Been in search of inexpensive rear disc conversion

I have been searching around for the least expensive conversion from rear drum brakes to rear disc brakes that I can find. I found some relatively inexpensive brackets to mount front rotors on the rear from Ebay. I then found them cheaper on Speedway Motors.com. The brackets from Speedway may have sealed the deal for me though when I noticed a bracket for 78-up Metric Calipers. This sent me back to the Junkyard where I found a rear wheel drive 1979 Cadillac Seville with calipers which include built in emergency brakes.

When I went back and removed the calipers I noticed that the factory brackets for these calipers along with the backing plate bolt onto the end of the rear differential. I now believe I will go back and remove the factory bracket and affix it to my rear-end rather than purchase an aftermarket bracket. I need to measure the rotor too see if it can be found with the proper bolt-pattern or just use the ones from the Cadillac and have them re-drilled.

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Last edited by BHyatt; 08-29-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Left out information
BHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote