The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
1972GMCsierra4x4

Dart Angle Plug Heads: good or bad?

I found a set of very lightly used Dart angle plug heads on CL for $550. They have the 2.02 intake valves, 1.90 exhaust, and 76cc chambers. I have heard good things about Dart heads and I thought this was a pretty good deal, but I figured I'd better ask around before shelling out the cash. What are y'all's opinions
1972GMCsierra4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Dart Angle Plug Heads: good or bad?

Angle plug heads can be a complete and total PITA to get headers to fit. Also what size are the intake runners? What are the rest of the specs of your engine. Heads that are too big will completely kill performance. Dart makes a good head but before buying any used head I would have them checked by a machine shop for cracks. Also would pull all the valves and check the guides. 550 is a good price for pretty much any head dart sells BUT if they need work or are cracked it suddenly isn't a good deal anymore.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
1972GMCsierra4x4

The intake runners are 165cc on the heads listed. As far as my engine specs, I have a mostly stock 350 with an Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake, 600 cfm Edelbrock 1406 4 barrel. My current ears are 76cc with 1.72 intake and 1.5 exhaust (smogger heads from the 70s). The plug on cylinder no. 2 likes to foul up after a while, making me assume the shop did a bad valve job thus making me want to get better heads.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
cableguy0

I would do a compression test and make sure it isn't the rings on that cylinder. If the plug is getting oil fouled I would suspect either valve seals or rings. Those heads are good upgrade from stock and will make good torque. The only nuisance will be finding headers to fit.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Econman

Before I took that route, I would buy a pair of NEW Vortec heads (assembled) from Jegs. $309 each with free shipping. I had a pair of used ones, but one was bad, so I just bought one to replace it. Best deal for the budget IMO.
Econman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
GM-power

Id get a smaller chamber head for mostly stock application. I agree with econman, check vortec heads out.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
Econman

If you use Vortec heads, it will require a Vortec style intake. Summit has one that is the same casting as the Weiand 8121 and it's about $35 cheaper.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
1972GMCsierra4x4

I can't afford the vortec heads and a different intake manifold right now (broke and in high school). Also, GM-power, I'm looking to keep my 9:1 compression so I can run 87 octane
Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
burnin oil

I like Vortec heads but they are not a deal by the time you get all the extras. Finding used parts will knock it down alot but new runs them up to the price of a good set of alum heads from Jegs. $618 for the pair of heads, and another $200 for an intake. Don't forget the gaskets and valve covers. Now you are about $100 under a new set of Jegs heads that will reuse the factory parts. Just call and make sure they are not D port exhaust or you will need headers. I would personally avoid the Summit intakes. Most are made by profesional products. These are cheap imports that tend to have alot of casting and sealing issues.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
Econman

I'll contact summit on the intake supplier. Thanks for the heads up.

All I had was the stock Q-jet intake, so I was going to have to invest in one regardless.

Last edited by Econman; 02-13-2014 at 01:44 PM.