The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
TRAU 82

Exclamation Wrap it up!

hey there SQUARES...i'm looking for some advice/past experience/guidance in regards to wrapped headers. from what i've read/heard, there seems to be both many positives (significantly reducing underhood temp, increased flow?, etc.) and negatives (trapping heat in, creating moisture, cracked tubes or welds, poss void of warranty) in doing so. i have a spankin new set of coated headmans and am torn between the decision...is it too much heat trapped in to be doing so on a coated set? should you only do so on an uncoated/natural set? please share your advice/experience.....oh yea, if you have any pics with specs those are always rad too
TRAU 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Redcap

Re: Wrap it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAU 82 View Post
hey there SQUARES...i'm looking for some advice/past experience/guidance in regards to wrapped headers. from what i've read/heard, there seems to be both many positives (significantly reducing underhood temp, increased flow?, etc.) and negatives (trapping heat in, creating moisture, cracked tubes or welds, poss void of warranty) in doing so. i have a spankin new set of coated headmans and am torn between the decision...is it too much heat trapped in to be doing so on a coated set? should you only do so on an uncoated/natural set? please share your advice/experience.....oh yea, if you have any pics with specs those are always rad too
If you want your headers to rot quickly, go ahead and wrap them.
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
donut

x2
Headers, I've always heard unwrapped. Coated headers?
GM thought it was a good idea to wrap a small section of trans cooler line on my Trailblazer, needless to say a repair was done a few months ago. (rest of the line appears to be fine, just the part they wrapped rotted out.)

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

I personally wouldn't wrap your headers unless it's a fair weather only vehicle. The whole premise behind it is to keep as much heat in the tubes as possible to make the exhaust system as efficient as it can be. Ceramic coating (which you already have) follows the same premise. The only thing I'd personally ever wrap headers for is a turbo system.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Pop's C-10

I wraped tha shorties on mt camaro cause is bite on all tha hype...that thing was like a oven under tha hood & it was a mild cammed, law cr 350..don't do it
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
TRAU 82

thanks for the advice fellas...sure would look rad under the hood in case those shiny coated headers ever get scuffed up, but sounds like it would cause much more headache than what it is worth. appreciate your input..
TRAU 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
sumran

As long as your carb is properly tuned the ceramics should do fine. And there are lots of other benefits to having the carb right. If the carb is too lean, the ceramics will have problems. If your headers are overheating your exhaust valves are probably not loving life either.

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote