The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2022, 02:48 PM   #76
tucktuck

Re: My 72 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex69c10 View Post
That’s a truly great looking build. A lot of work for 1/4” but it just makes it so much better!
Thank you! I try to get it right the first time, but it is what it is...had to be fixed.
tucktuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:06 PM   #77
JUN1269

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucktuck View Post
Thank you! I try to get it right the first time, but it is what it is...had to be fixed.
Awesome...now you can fix mine. LOL. I need to move mine back or shorten the drive shaft about a 1/2". I never get it right the first time. LOL.

1969 Chevy C20 – Twin turbo Gen III 5.3 Restomod in progress http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=793149
2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 – Supercharged, Bored and Stroked 426 with nitrous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPAyVwL_C_I
JUN1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #78
tucktuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUN1269 View Post
Awesome...now you can fix mine. LOL. I need to move mine back or shorten the drive shaft about a 1/2". I never get it right the first time. LOL.
I'd definitely have the drive shaft shortened if your axle is centered!
Old 02-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #79
tucktuck

When I bought this bed floor, it was supposed to be ready for the wider tubs, but it wasn't...
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2022, 12:54 PM   #80
tucktuck

It is now...
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2022, 01:02 PM   #81
tucktuck

Went ahead and put the cab back on so that I could square everything up with the bed, and throw the front fenders on to measure my back spacing for my wheels.

Gonna have to massage the firewall quite a bit to clear the headers.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #82
tucktuck

How she looked before I stopped last night. Definitely motivation to get her on the road.

Also ordered my Vintage A/C yesterday.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2022, 05:12 PM   #83
SCOTI

Quote:
When I bought this bed floor, it was supposed to be ready for the wider tubs, but it wasn't...
Just seeing this build. Liking it so far.

Three things I noticed.... 1st: Glad you relocated the T/A x-member. When I was looking @ the exposed thread @ the spherical bearings I was thinking they look like they're over extended from a safety perspective. With the x-member relocated, things look much better. Unfortunately the d-shaft issue becomes the result.

2nd: I wonder if the bed floors are 'stamped' for the wider/big tub install but that's all? Doing them like so allows the same floor to work w/the standard tubs or w/the big tubs (they only have to carry one part). The difference being the stock/small tubs bolt right in & the big tub install requires trimming the floor as needed. Just a theory.

3rd: 102mm DBW TB w/a 5.3l seems overkill. I'm not well versed on the LS but have been doing homework in anticipation of using one someday. I see many say the smaller 92mm ported is much easier on tuning/drivability. Curious on the motor internals/specs?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #84
tucktuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Just seeing this build. Liking it so far.

Three things I noticed.... 1st: Glad you relocated the T/A x-member. When I was looking @ the exposed thread @ the spherical bearings I was thinking they look like they're over extended from a safety perspective. With the x-member relocated, things look much better. Unfortunately the d-shaft issue becomes the result.

2nd: I wonder if the bed floors are 'stamped' for the wider/big tub install but that's all? Doing them like so allows the same floor to work w/the standard tubs or w/the big tubs (they only have to carry one part). The difference being the stock/small tubs bolt right in & the big tub install requires trimming the floor as needed. Just a theory.

3rd: 102mm DBW TB w/a 5.3l seems overkill. I'm not well versed on the LS but have been doing homework in anticipation of using one someday. I see many say the smaller 92mm ported is much easier on tuning/drivability. Curious on the motor internals/specs?
Hey Scoti,

Yeah I wasn't ever crazy about the amount of threads showing either, I'm much happier with it now. The drive shaft isn't hard to get fixed.

You're probably right about the bed floor, but it begs the question of why someone would order it and use standard width tubs?

I'll be honest, I didn't research the throttle body size as much as I could have, but my builder said most of his customers went with the 102mm, but most of his customers only drive a 1/4 mile at a time too. Once I get to tuning, I'll downsize it if it becomes an issue.

Engine was probably fine as it only had about 80k miles if I remember correct, but, I figured were going for broke on this one, so what the hell...

They tore it all down, surfaced the block and heads, diamond honed the cylinders, balanced the rotating assembly, did a valve job and ported the stock heads.

Here is the internal parts list:

DOD Delete
Wiseco Pistons
Scat forged rods
All bearings replaced
BTR cam
Trunion upgrade
BTR valve seal and spring kit
Push rods
Lifter trays
LS7 lifters
ARP head bolts
LS9 head gaskets
Melling oil pump
Billet timing set

Hindsight, I should have had the do head studs instead, as I'll probably add a supercharger before its finished...
Old 02-11-2022, 11:35 PM   #85
SCOTI

Quote:
Hey Scoti,

Yeah I wasn't ever crazy about the amount of threads showing either, I'm much happier with it now. The drive shaft isn't hard to get fixed.

You're probably right about the bed floor, but it begs the question of why someone would order it and use standard width tubs?

I'll be honest, I didn't research the throttle body size as much as I could have, but my builder said most of his customers went with the 102mm, but most of his customers only drive a 1/4 mile at a time too. Once I get to tuning, I'll downsize it if it becomes an issue.

Engine was probably fine as it only had about 80k miles if I remember correct, but, I figured were going for broke on this one, so what the hell...

They tore it all down, surfaced the block and heads, diamond honed the cylinders, balanced the rotating assembly, did a valve job and ported the stock heads.

Here is the internal parts list:

DOD Delete
Wiseco Pistons
Scat forged rods
All bearings replaced
BTR cam
Trunion upgrade
BTR valve seal and spring kit
Push rods
Lifter trays
LS7 lifters
ARP head bolts
LS9 head gaskets
Melling oil pump
Billet timing set

Hindsight, I should have had the do head studs instead, as I'll probably add a supercharger before its finished...
Some nice upgrades to the internals & I agree on the head studs if the plan is some boost.

I picked up an 04 5.3 over Christmas 2020. Supposed <100k on the clock. Guy was upgrading to a 427/LS3 combo so this one got plucked running w/all electronics. My buddy was looking for a 5.3 for a swap into my old '90 model. We discussed cams & he decided on the BTR Stg2 Truck cam. Went to install it & cam bearings showed excess wear. Boom.... full refresh on the shoestring budget. At least he wasn't pissed @ me & now we can be confident it's good to go for a while (block clean-up, oil pump, timing set, lifters, cam bearings, BTR set-up, fresh head + engine gaskets).

Anyhoo... He's still piecing things together as the truck was a 4.3/5spd so swapping in an auto/tilt column as it goes. We should be routing exhaust soon so I'll get more involved when we get to that point.

What wheels were you planning to run? Tire sizes look good. Kind of a big/little pro-touring set-up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-12-2022, 01:18 AM   #86
tucktuck

Funny you asked Scoti...I just messed around with backspacing today. I'll probably go with intros, but not 100% decided yet.

Those wheels and tires are just for the build process...

I'll be running 255/40/20's up front and 345/30/20's out back. I want the rears to sit as flush with the outer fender as possible.

Need to keep playing with my bed to get it perfectly centered, it's being a bit of a pain in the ass.

Hey, you're kinda close...got plans this weekend?? lol.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2022, 12:16 PM   #87
SCOTI

I get the pressure.

Wheels are expensive so you really want to nail it on the 1st try. Lots ot people don't get that & go w/what the mfr recommends but w/o all the proper dimensions, you can fall short.

I did notice you're not too far. Don't hesitate if you do need a hand or want a 2nd set of eyes on things.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-15-2023, 11:56 PM   #88
tucktuck

Wow, it been a minute since I've been on here.

Well, I got frustrated with the bed issues I was having with the truck, so it sat for awhile. At the same time business quadrupled, and I was busier than ever with work.

I'd heard of a shop from a buddy of mine that he swore by, so I dropped in and checked them out. Talked with the owners son and he gave me a tour and explained how they work. It's basically, they will solely work on your car, but its going to cost you...a lot. Or, they work on it along with several others in between those high paying cars and bill you monthly (detailed with pictures). They had some one off cars in there that look amazing. Literally had an original Shelby Cobra in there that they were finishing up, along with a 1 of 2 69 Camaro.

I filled the forms out and they picked it up a week later.

Figured out quickly what the bed issue was...whoever cut this truck down got the passenger side perfect, but on the drivers side they missed the mark by 1/8th of an inch. So, they pulled everything apart, back down to the frame and re-cut and re-welded the drivers side, so now the cab and bed sit perfect.

Since it was there and I was busy, I just told them to go ahead and do the metal work and paint. It's still a ways out on paint, but they are making progress.

I decided, after reading one of y'alls threads, to switch up the tailgate a little, so this was a stolen idea...
Attached Images

Last edited by tucktuck; 08-16-2023 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:58 PM   #89
tucktuck

They also got the bedsides and tubs installed.

Pretty good lines on the tailgate and bedsides.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2023, 11:59 PM   #90
tucktuck

Before and after of the cowl panel.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2023, 12:02 AM   #91
tucktuck

Shaving the firewall.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2023, 12:09 AM   #92
tucktuck

Filling in the wire loom run.

They have since installed the Hart Fab inner fenders and Porter Built hood hinges that were ordered and also installed the tailgate handle flip kit.

I still need to order wheels, and went by to measure for them the last time I was home, but didn't bring my backspacing tool and his wasn't big enough for my tires. Again, I don't want to order wheels twice, so I figured it'd be best to wait. I'll try and get back over there in a couple of weeks when I go home next.

I'm leaning towards these Schott wheels.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2023, 11:29 PM   #93
cornerstone

Looking great man... love the wheels too.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 08:50 AM   #94
SCOTI

Nice progress.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-17-2023, 06:24 PM   #95
tucktuck

Finally got back over there to measure for my wheels last week, so I'll be ordering them this coming week.

Think I'm going to go with the Mod 5 Concave by Schott.

20x9 in the front with 4.5" BS
20x12 in the rear with 5" BS

Will be running 255/40 on the front and 345/30 on the rear.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2023, 06:26 PM   #96
tucktuck

They had the doors hung and gapped already as well as the cowl, fenders and hood.

Couple pics of the cowl/door/cab lines...
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2023, 09:55 AM   #97
SCOTI

Nicely done.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-25-2023, 11:13 AM   #98
tucktuck

Changed my mind and ordered my original wheel choice after seeing them both on these trucks. They are gearing up for primer and paint...

Ordered:

Feslers Flush Mount Glass
One Piece Windows
Flaming River Steering Column
Wildwood Hydroboost
Kick Panel Speaker housings
Rear corner 6.5" Speaker housings
Kenwood Excelon Double Din head unit
Focal speakers front and rear
Old 09-27-2023, 04:52 PM   #99
nicklear36

Flush mount glass looks so sweet.
nicklear36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:23 PM   #100
tucktuck

Had to run by and drop some more parts off and go over tweeter location options. Had the tailgate on and gapped, front fenders on and gapped, inner fenders on and porterbuilt hood hinges installed. Still have to gap the cowl to hood body line. Got the 3rd brake light frenched in as well. Wheels should be here in a couple more weeks! Should be in primer soon...

Pics aren't cooperating today.