The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
roll_the_dice

Bench Grinder Stand question

I want to make/get/buy a bench grinder stand... I found a 16" diameter 1/2" thick steel disc/circle. Do you think that is heavy enough and stable enough for the base or should I go to a larger diameter? I will not be mounting it to the floor for about a year as we are preparing to move. Or I found a "vintage" cast iron Craftsman bench grinder stand...I could just buy it and call it a day.

This is the craftsman stand...
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
Redneck Rydes

Re: Bench Grinder Stand question

Go see a truck repair shop,they have old brake drums off of tractor trailers,I have one for my bench grinder and my drill press,they are pretty heavy and work great and usually you can get one for free!
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
LS short box

Kind of depends on how much you intend to "lean" into the grinder. I would add a 1/4" steel plate maybe 6"s bigger the the floor mount plate. Could you use a piece of 3'4" plywood?
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:42 PM   #4
franken

Maybe mount the steel disk to the bottom of the stand in the pic. I'd think about adding 3 feet to the bottom so it can't rock. I like vintage tool junk so I like the Craftsman stand...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:21 PM   #5
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rydes View Post
Go see a truck repair shop,they have old brake drums off of tractor trailers,I have one for my bench grinder and my drill press,they are pretty heavy and work great and usually you can get one for free!
The brake drum isn't a bad idea...I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Kind of depends on how much you intend to "lean" into the grinder. I would add a 1/4" steel plate maybe 6"s bigger the the floor mount plate. Could you use a piece of 3'4" plywood?
I've never used a bench grinder much. I have 2 old craftsman (one works one needs a new switch) that I used mainly for wire brushing...but I have some projects coming up I think I will want to use them more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Maybe mount the steel disk to the bottom of the stand in the pic. I'd think about adding 3 feet to the bottom so it can't rock. I like vintage tool junk so I like the Craftsman stand...
I will say I love vintage tools and iron pieces...I contacted the guy with the old craftsman stand and he said it only weighed about 35 pounds or so. I think it should weigh more than that unless I was mounting it to the floor.

I found an old cast iron one that the guys says weighs about 150 pounds or so...he wants $275 for it...I offered him $200, but he said no...so I am negotiating and trying to get that one. He did come down to $250...Here is a pic of it. I like this one best of all.
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #6
Killer Bee

I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle regarding pedestal weight, they are designed to be bolted to the floor for smooth and safe operation..

you might get away with sharpening a small chisel but any substantial metal grinding or shaping you'll be dancing around the shop if it's not bolted down..

heavier ones like the 150# stand will give you more stability but it will still move and even push over unless bolted down, hence the floor mounting holes..

best practice is to get yourself a stand stout enough to support the weight and horsepower (grinding feed force) of the grinder you're operating and bolt it down for worry free operation..

it's similar to cutting or grinding metal parts without a vice, if it's scooting around it's very difficult to apply any usable force on your work piece as well as dangerous..

advice from someone that has supervised a dozen repair shops across 30 years

good luck!