The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
LDO

Regulator/Filter Selection Advice

So I've got my dream shop built and now ready to work on outfitting it for what I need to support my projects.

I have a champion 7.5HP Compressor and want to run the rapid air 3/4 garage system in my shop.

My use will be mostly air tools and airing up tires, etc. at the 3 drops that come with the rapid air. The final drop (and furthest from the compressor) will be used to run a small HF blasting cabinet and some painting.

What are good brands of regulators and air dryers that will work for my use?

Most of the regulators I see do not read past 150 while my compressor maxes out at 175. Is this something I need to consider in the regulator selection?

From reading some of the threads here, It looks like I need to run to a filter first then to the regulator is that correct?

From the compressor, I have a 3/4 ball valve, then a 3/4 x 3ft hose going to the air delivery system mounted on the walls.

That is all I have so far.

I hope I have provided enough info to get some advice on what will work for me.

Thank you in advance.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #2
burnin oil

Re: Regulator/Filter Selection Advice

I have seen 175 psi regulators on Amazon but have no idea what are considered to be good. When you plumb your compressor make sure that you have a full pressure line hook up. They come in real handy sometimes. My cheap 1/2" gun gets full flow alot for really stubborn bolts. The added psi can also be useful if you ever get a tool that needs a bigger line size than you have. My 1" impact sees some extra psi also since it is feed by 3/8" high flow fittings instead of 1/2". Not ideal but does the trick.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
LDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
I have seen 175 psi regulators on Amazon but have no idea what are considered to be good. When you plumb your compressor make sure that you have a full pressure line hook up. They come in real handy sometimes. My cheap 1/2" gun gets full flow alot for really stubborn bolts. The added psi can also be useful if you ever get a tool that needs a bigger line size than you have. My 1" impact sees some extra psi also since it is feed by 3/8" high flow fittings instead of 1/2". Not ideal but does the trick.

Thanks for the tip on the full pressure line. That sounds like a great idea.
Can you point me in the right direction as far as these 3/8 high flow couplings?
Old 07-22-2021, 06:52 AM   #4
burnin oil

I used Milton V style fittings. Keep an eye out and buy them in packs of 5 or 10 and the price is pretty reasonable. Plain brass colored ones are Amazon available. They will work with most cheap fittings also but may have a few leaks. They did not work with my dewalt pancake compressor with the Milton fittings on the air hose so I keep a few cheap lines around for using it with the nail gun. I liked the fittings enough that I bought them to replace on my tools other than I forgot to order some 1/4" fittings for small tools like a die grinder. That ones cheap fitting works with the Milton's just fine.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
MySons68C20

I'm using PneuMasterair for a couple years now and they have been great.
I'll post a pic if you like.

Blake
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:26 PM   #6
LDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySons68C20 View Post
I'm using PneuMasterair for a couple years now and they have been great.
I'll post a pic if you like.

Blake
Yes please.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
MySons68C20

Hope this helps!

Blake
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #8
LDO

Blake,
nice setup! Thank you for the pictures. Looks like a nice big guage too! That's what puts me off from some of the other regulators/filter combos I have seen from rapid air and others; small guage and my eyes aren't getting any better.

I'm gonna look them up and see if they have something 3/4 in 3/4 out that is ok with the 175psi output pressure of my champion compressor.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #9
MySons68C20

Thank you! It works great keeping the moisture out with very little collecting in the filter/regulator. The gauge reads about 10 psi off compared to the one on the compressor. The Polar Air maxes out at 160 psi not sure if it's the gauge or an adjustment. That Champion in one sweet compressor, well done!
Old 07-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #10
LDO

Quote:
Thank you! It works great keeping the moisture out with very little collecting in the filter/regulator. The gauge reads about 10 psi off compared to the one on the compressor. The Polar Air maxes out at 160 psi not sure if it's the gauge or an adjustment. That Champion in one sweet compressor, well done!
Thanks,
this shop has been a long time in the works and now I am finally able to do it and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #11
MySons68C20

Thumbs up Re: Regulator/Filter Selection Advice

The journey is half the fun!
Old 07-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #12
LDO

Quote:
The journey is half the fun!
yes sir, I've got a 57 & 66 chevy truck that I'm re-doing and it's nice to be able to get back to working on them but I've gotta get the shop set up to work! lol

So much information and name brands out there, it's overloading. Don't want to buy junk but don't want to be spend $$ on something that is too much for what I'm doing (if that makes sense).

Are you familiar with Prevost or Norgren? I was looking at the for an air filter to mount before the regulator. They are both 3/4 inch in & out ports.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #13
MySons68C20

I have heard of them but don't know anything about them.
It took my awhile to figure out the best set up for me weighing costs etc.
I do run an additional gun filter when spraying and so far no water or crap through the gun.

Wow, you have some fun projects going on there!
Old 07-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #14
LDO

Quote:
I have heard of them but don't know anything about them.
It took my awhile to figure out the best set up for me weighing costs etc.
I do run an additional gun filter when spraying and so far no water or crap through the gun.

Wow, you have some fun projects going on there!
Yes, I plan on running additional units (later) on the last air drop for spraying paint.

I just got back from Northern Tool picked up my 3/4 rapid air kit. The manager let me use a coupon and gave me a military discount so I was happy about that. Picked up angled fittings for the couplers and a 3/4 3foot whip hose to connect the compressor to whatever i get.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #15
MySons68C20

Looking forwards to pics!
Old 07-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #16
burnin oil

Make sure that you have the regulator/water seperator a good distance from the compressor. The air needs to cool before hitting the seperator. I have seen many with 1" line that come with reducers. My shop is in the earth moving phase and I live on a mountain so it will be awhile. My poor compressor is mounted on a pallet under an eave with a a scrap wood frame and a tarp over it. Barely better than the old shelter half. My temporary shop is a garden shed. Can't wait to move into the shop. 40x40 and 2 bays that are 15x40 connected to that.