The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
cppursell

Unhappy TH 400 Damaged

My friend is experiencing some woes with his TH400 transmission.

He was putting in a new engine in his '64 Chevy C10. He hooked up the torque converter to the flywheel apart from his transmission (BTW he didn't fill the torque converter with fluid, IDK if that's important), then tried to bolt the transmission to the engine. While he was tightening down the transmission he said he felt resistance, but kept going, and he then heard a loud "pop". He took a quick look inside the transmission but didn't see anything broken, so he proceeded to finish installing.

Now my friend's truck is running, but the transmission won't engage. We both fear the transmission is ruined, but perhaps a part broke inside that can be (relatively) easily replaced. Could it be the fluid pump that broke? How easy is it to take these transmissions apart?

Thank you for your helpful responses.

Last edited by cppursell; 11-15-2010 at 08:32 PM.
cppursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: TH 400 Damaged

He broke the pump. Never bolt it up to the flywheel and draw the trans in. Those 2 slots on the converter have coresponding tangs on the pump. Always put the torque converter on the trans rotate it til it pushes back in to pump slots. then mount the trans and slide the converter to the flywheel and bolt it on.
Now you have to take the front pump out and replace it.

Last edited by dwcsr; 11-15-2010 at 08:40 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
cppursell

Thank you for your wise answer! Yes, once I research on auto tranny parts, I suspected he broke the pump. Now: Where to get a pump, how pricey are they, and most importantly, where can I find instructions on how to do this repair?

Thanks again for your insight!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #4
cppursell

Update: I informed my friend of this post and he's thrilled that he only broke one thing! He's going to try a transmission shop tomorrow for the part.

Thanks again, dwcsr!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
cableguy0

You need to make sure he didnt trash the splines in the input shaft and the torque converter itself. The converter also needs to be checked for cracks. I would also be checking the bellhousing very closely for cracks.The transmission really need to be pulled apart and cleaned just to make sure the pump didnt manage to push any metal through. The torque converter could also be damaged from being run dry.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
cppursell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
You need to make sure he didnt trash the splines in the input shaft and the torque converter itself. The converter also needs to be checked for cracks. I would also be checking the bellhousing very closely for cracks.The transmission really need to be pulled apart and cleaned just to make sure the pump didnt manage to push any metal through. The torque converter could also be damaged from being run dry.
When we eventually get his transmission out and open, we'll inspect it according to your advice to the best of our ability.
Thanks!