The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2021, 10:40 PM   #1
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Monitor Barn Garage Design

I'm working on a design for a 42' wide 40' deep garage in the style of a monitor barn that could accommodate an RV in the center, two trucks/vehicles on either flanking lean-to side, and a small mezzanine. The doors would be 10x8 (x2) and 10 x 14 out front and a 6' wide 8' tall example along one side. Outer wall height 10' and just over 12' height under the mezzanine.

The staircase isn't the best use of space but not sure how else to play that without moving it outdoors.

Any thoughts/feedback? I should probably add a small side entry door and lose/raise the front window to accommodate a lamp over the center door.
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland

Last edited by DeadheadNM; 07-01-2021 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Monitor Barn Garage Design

I would put 9 foot tall doors in it. 8 foot is pretty short.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #3
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
I would put 9 foot tall doors in it. 8 foot is pretty short.
Jimmy
Good suggestion. Thank you.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 07-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #4
Keith Seymore

Looks good. I think the stairway location makes sense. My guess is you have enough room for the outdoor light with the front window as is: I'm picturing either a sodium vapor or an old "gas station" type fixture (picture is kinda small but I just added those to my barn).

K

Sidebar: Funny Story -

I was working with a friend of mine on the GMT800 air induction system. Around about that time he was thinking of building a barn and was looking at different architectural styles, trying to decide what he wanted it to look like.

We had to walk over to talk to one of the other engineers, a young lady, who evidently had horses, judging from the number of framed photographs she had sitting on and around her desk.

Tom asked her "are these your horses?".

She answered to the affirmative and launched into a long narrative about each one. Obviously she was pretty proud.

Without missing a beat, and without prompting, both me and Tom responded in unison: "Nice barn".

(lol)

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #5
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Hi Keith. Am thinking of the same style lamps that you have. Here’s a mock-up of the changes. Thanks for sharing. I may nix the side door awning.

That’s funny
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #6
biketopia

Looks good, and quite jealous of it. I would nix the side door awning, use PVC for the trim around the doors so you don't have to deal with rain splash rotting out everything from the bottom. I would also consider putting the stairs out side... Unless you just absolutely don't want to do that, but it eats up a bunch of area inside the garage. Helped a buddy build a large 3 car with an apartment over top and he was going to do stairs inside, until he laid it out and saw how much room it really took up. Having a set outside made it a more direct access without a bunch of turns so moving stuff in and out was also nice. What will be above the center bay? Will you have plumbing out there? If so you could always put a half bath under the stairs if you kept them inside and then some storage I guess.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #7
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I completely agree the stairs eat up a bunch of space. I've wonder if a partially folding/mobile segment could be incorporated that would swing the lower stairs away for more clearance. Outside stairs would be nice especially with a porch that could shelter some additional storage for say kayaks or canoes. Depending on where this goes that might be the route I take.

The center bay ceiling would be largely open to let light inside. The mezzanine could potentially be extended forward more. I'd love to have plumbing but not sure that's in the cards given whet I imagine to be the hassle of connecting to the septic tank and plumbing a supply line from the house. I should probably plan for drains in the floor though.

Any suggestions on finishing the inside walls? Sheetrock would be the default but are there other options? Old barnwood is plentiful here and would make a nice accent.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
JJH Jimmy

This is the exact same style barn i am hoping to build someday. I have a antique spiral stair case i was going to use for the loft and then add 2 - 4' french doors for the loft on the back of the barn for hoisting large objects into the loft.
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:17 PM   #9
mr48chev

I'd think that would be a great garage to put your pickup, rv and cars in but may not be the best design to use as a working shop where you intend to do a lot of work on vehicles.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
I completely agree the stairs eat up a bunch of space. I've wonder if a partially folding/mobile segment could be incorporated that would swing the lower stairs away for more clearance. Outside stairs would be nice especially with a porch that could shelter some additional storage for say kayaks or canoes. Depending on where this goes that might be the route I take.

The center bay ceiling would be largely open to let light inside. The mezzanine could potentially be extended forward more. I'd love to have plumbing but not sure that's in the cards given whet I imagine to be the hassle of connecting to the septic tank and plumbing a supply line from the house. I should probably plan for drains in the floor though.

Any suggestions on finishing the inside walls? Sheetrock would be the default but are there other options? Old barnwood is plentiful here and would make a nice accent.
I would 100% have some floor drains in there, at least at the garage doors. How far from your house will this be and how "in the sticks" are you? Could always put some conduit in before the slab is poured for "future additions" and run a water line after final inspections. This is what my buddy did. His garage was only 20-25 yards from the corner of the house so his builder put in a piece of conduit to run flexible water line in and PVC in the corner for a bathroom. He capped it and had it just below finished floor level wrapped in Styrofoam to easily break up. During inspections there was always material and tools in that corner anyways. Him and I trenched across the driveway one Sunday afternoon and laid PVC and conduit and into the crawl space where he made all his septic and water hook ups.

Having water out there would be nice if you plan to work on stuff, just for a slop sink and a hose if nothing else. My pull in barn has water and it's easily a 150-175 yards or more from the well tank in the house and I have plenty of flow to run the garden hose. You could also easily do a small homemade septic system for a single toilet, even just a 55 gallon barrel and some gravel would be enough in most cases. But that also depends on if your neighbors or the county is going to come snooping around. The outside storage and a nice deck would also be a plus, I always like a good deck, a hangout space etc.

As far as finish for the walls, you could do metal cladding drywall. Barn wood would be sweet, but you'll need A LOT, and a good way to attach it as it'll probably be a little on the thicker side, would make a really cool accent wall in the shop though. Definitely do some sort of insulation, even if you're not going to run true HVAC, it will make it more manageable to regulate with fans and a wood stove if needed.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 07-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #11
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice barn! How about you poke the stairs out of the back wall and enclose them? Then put the air compressor under them. Quieter and out of the way.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #12
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Thanks for the continued comments and suggestions. I'm taking them under consideration and hoping to have a final draft that can be farmed out for quotes here very soon. I'm told that lumber prices may be starting to fall. Would really like to have something up ahead of the coming snow.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:34 AM   #13
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Thanks for the continued comments and suggestions. I'm taking them under consideration and hoping to have a final draft that can be farmed out for quotes here very soon. I'm told that lumber prices may be starting to fall. Would really like to have something up ahead of the coming snow.
I hope you're right! I have been collecting pieces and working on putting one of these up at my parent's place for storage of a couple projects, tractors, and parts. It would be fairly simple with less cost in trusses if you don't go crazy was my initial thought. Now it doesn't matter. I was going to use mostly used wood I have collected but we used a lot of that last fall to fix stuff on dad's place after the derecho. I used to find buildings people wanted torn down and you could have the materials if you did the work. These days they want you to buy the old broken down building and tear it down. Might as well save time and buy new. Thanks vintage barn wood/metal hoarders.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #14
Ziegelsteinfaust

Out of curiosity why is the middle door taller then the outer 2?
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #15
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Ryan I can't throw a rock around here without hitting an antique barn. A neighbor said I better take more photos of my truck in front of his because it's about to collapse.

Ziegel - the larger center bay would hold an RV or accommodate a lift

I farmed out the plans for estimates.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:48 PM   #16
Dead Parrot

I would include the drains and conduits for a sink and bathroom even if you don't plan on initially including one. Simple and cheap to include before the slab is poured. Expensive and PITA to add after the pour.

While running the electrical, include conduits for Cat 5/6 cable for Internet plus an dedicated 120V outlet for a computer/switch. Again, easy to add during construction, hard later. If you go with metal siding and roof, you may create a no cell phone space inside. Might plan on where to put security cameras in case those become needed at some point and run conduit to those places.

Might include several outside outlets for battery chargers and block heaters for vehicles stored outside.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:01 AM   #17
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
I would include the drains and conduits for a sink and bathroom even if you don't plan on initially including one. Simple and cheap to include before the slab is poured. Expensive and PITA to add after the pour.

While running the electrical, include conduits for Cat 5/6 cable for Internet plus an dedicated 120V outlet for a computer/switch. Again, easy to add during construction, hard later. If you go with metal siding and roof, you may create a no cell phone space inside. Might plan on where to put security cameras in case those become needed at some point and run conduit to those places.

Might include several outside outlets for battery chargers and block heaters for vehicles stored outside.
All very good points!

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 07-19-2021, 07:55 AM   #18
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I’ll definitely keep those ideas in mind, thanks. A wall safe would be useful too.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #19
The Rocknrod

From experience the bathroom and sink idea above is a great one.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #20
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
From experience the bathroom and sink idea above is a great one.
Absolutely and I appreciate all the suggestions. As an aside, I've always wanted an old-school urinal - the style that goes all the way to the floor. I'd settle for one toilet though. Ultimately, cost of the "cake" will dictate what icing can be applied.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #21
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Anyone have experience with exhaust outlets that might allow me to run a car in the garage during the winter if need to test/repair issues like hot water valve for the AC?

Old 07-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #22
biketopia

They make a flapper/cover you put over a hole in your garage door and run an exhaust hose out of it. It's the simplest and cheapest way. You can get expensive and fancy with full on exhaust fan system like we have at work... but it's noisy and annoying, we crack a door and run a hose out the door. Have a CO monitor close by to ensure you're not making problems for your self.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 07-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #23
Dead Parrot

Get 2 different brand CO detectors. Just read an article about Amazon having to recall a bunch of detectors due the the Feds finding the detectors failed to sound an alarm at the trigger point. If the winds there are anything like the winds here, you have a 80% chance of your exhaust vent being on the upwind side any time you are in the shop.

Have seen enough "families die due to CO poisoning from generator" stories to figure out that CO is sneaky and always looking for a way to get inside where you are.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:18 AM   #24
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Finally broke ground this week. Need to settle on the colors soon. Thinking typical red for the walls and “galvalume” on the roof, which will patina over time.

I’ve since added an additional entry door adjacent to the small side roll up door and may extend the roof ridge out slightly over the gable similar to this pole barn example and which seems common on local antique barns.
Attached Images

Last edited by DeadheadNM; 05-22-2022 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Added
Old 05-23-2022, 10:14 AM   #25
Rickysnickers

Wow, that's going to be really nice.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote