The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
vintovka

Angry Heads up on Ryobi drills and paint damage

Not sure this is right place but worth a warning if you have an expensive paint job. Got a brand new one to work on my AD. First use, bit came loose, drill slipped and scratched my door paint. Figured it was me and my old arms. Tried it again on the bench and it did it EVERY TIME !! Looked on net and not alone with dozens on complaints about defective/dangerous chucks. Taking it back to Home Depot.

Last edited by vintovka; 07-18-2021 at 09:05 PM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:29 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Heads up on Ryobi drills and paint damage

I've got an older Ryobi 18 volt that isn't that bad but you have to make sure that the chuck is tight.

One thing about drilling into freshly painted sheet metal is that the filings from the drill get real hot and will burn into the pant and stick there. You want to be sure and cover the paint below where you are drilling.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #3
vintovka

Apparently Ryobi has a problem with their chucks and doesn't care at all. Even with a channel lock they come loose. I needed it to do an outside job and lost a half dozen driver bits in the dirt. Worse is being up on a ladder and tossing bits while trying to maintain balance. Left an honest review and Home Depot wouldn't post it. Even Ryobi won't respond. Afraid this is how companies may treat consumers from now on. Caveat Emptor to the max.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #4
mr48chev

My 18 Volt cordless has one of the hand grip to tighten chucks that you can't use a key on and I think that is part of the issue.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #5
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
My 18 Volt cordless has one of the hand grip to tighten chucks that you can't use a key on and I think that is part of the issue.
Yes this is the problem. Quick chuck feature is a complete failure on Ryobi. Heard the hammer drill feature is even worse, I tried it, tosses bit even faster. How the heck did these make it out of R&D?
Old 07-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #6
65blackfleetside

Yep Same problem with my latest gen Ryobi. Love all of my Ryobi 18V tools they are cheaper than their competitors and as durable as any of the americam brands. My 18 V Ryobi drill chuck is garbage. Always loose the bit no matter how tight I tighten it. I have used it for so long like this I think its normal. Sorry about your paint- That would really piss me off too. I own just about every 18V tool Ryobi makes and that Home Depot sells and that chuck is my only complaint. Dewalt makes a better drill but I am too cheap to convert at this point.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
mr48chev

I don't have their hammer drill, I bought a Dewalt 1/2 inch (with a cord) hammer drill in the case at Habitat one day when some contractor with govt contracts donated a pallet full of them.

I got a Ryobi kit with drill, saw, light and something else off a guy off FB marketplace when he upgraded for a bargain price is how I ended up with them.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #8
vintovka

The hammer drill function is TOTALLY useless. It is astounding that the carefully tightened chuck came loose instantly when drilling into concrete with a masonry bit. Its not just this item but failure rate on tools in general is concerning. Ryobi should be recalling them all but it seems they has no interest in doing so. Maybe the price of dependence on foreign made tools and all other parts. At least the TSA has warned not to park electric cars in your garage due to fire danger.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:43 AM   #9
daveshilling

You should be able to replace the chuck with a better one to your liking that isn't cheap plastic. Even if it was working, a chuck upgrade is nice to have.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:13 AM   #10
65blackfleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
You should be able to replace the chuck with a better one to your liking that isn't cheap plastic. Even if it was working, a chuck upgrade is nice to have.
I actually replaced the metal and plastic chuck on my ryobi with a brand new metal and plastic ryobi chuck. It seems well build but Same problem... Its an engineering design flaw. No matter how tight you tighten it- the bit will still work its way loose and will spin or fall out.. Maybe Ryobi changed this in last 6month ?
I have almost every single Tool that Ryobi builds in 18V because I like the price and durability compared to the others. I just wish the Japanese engineers would call their friends over at Toyota and fix that chuck! lol
Old 07-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #11
Rickysnickers

Hey fellas, I'm moving this to tools and safety area so everyone can benefit.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:11 PM   #12
Dead Parrot

Have 3 Ryobi battery drills. The oldest, at least 10 years old, doesn't have this problem. The newest, a hammer drill, does really bad. The middle one does it sometimes. The hammer drill chuck will come loose just by spinning it up and letting off fast. The thing slams to a stop and the chuck just spins loose. Worse if on the fast speed.

Have learned to use the old one for drilling holes and the new hammer drill on slow for screw and bolt driving.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:34 PM   #13
Getter-Done

I used to be a Ryobi guy.

Then I slowly ventured into the Dewalt.

I would buy a $99.oo set every other Christmas or so when the are on sale.

I was introduced to Milwaukee at work.
Hands down a better product.
I know what your going to say
I know the whole packages are more expensive

After looking at my pile of old drill motors and bad batteries.
I have swapped to Milwaukee.

This set is $50.oo per piece and bag is free
Link:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...422229#overlay

This is the set I have.
Link:https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5792_200725792

This set counting the batteries /and using a $20 off $100.oo purchase is

$36.oo per piece.
I really like them you have to be careful tighten small stuff with the
impact driver

That impact driver broke loose the phillips screws on the 67-72 window regulators a door latch without an issue.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:08 AM   #14
Redneck Rydes

Was a Makita guy,we used to use them at work,now everything is DeWalt
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:04 AM   #15
65blackfleetside

I believe you all that dewalt and or Milwaukee are better tools. The problem is I am stuck now becouse I have purchased everything from caulk guns to portable fans, impact drill etc on the 18volt Ryobi platform. It all works great except for that stupid drill chuck! These tool companies are like drug companies, once we get hooked on their brand, we are screwed! lol

I guess I could start investing in another brand but my double garage is running out of space. What do i do with all of this like new ryobi stuff??

side note ( I love the mini 12 or 18 volt impact gun that milwaulkee makes! No one else makes that compact style for tight spaces that I am aware of? I always pay attention to what the commercial guys use.
hmm?
Old 07-31-2021, 08:22 AM   #16
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65blackfleetside View Post
I believe you all that dewalt and or Milwaukee are better tools. The problem is I am stuck now becouse I have purchased everything from caulk guns to portable fans, impact drill etc on the 18volt Ryobi platform. It all works great except for that stupid drill chuck! These tool companies are like drug companies, once we get hooked on their brand, we are screwed! lol

I guess I could start investing in another brand but my double garage is running out of space. What do i do with all of this like new ryobi stuff??

side note ( I love the mini 12 or 18 volt impact gun that milwaulkee makes! No one else makes that compact style for tight spaces that I am aware of? I always pay attention to what the commercial guys use.
hmm?
I have sold my good stuff all-ready at a Swap-Meet.
I am going to take the rest (The big tote of ryobi /Dewalt stuff) to the next Swap-Meet.

E--bay is a good place to sell , If you want to mess with that.
A guy at work sells a-lot on there, Me not right now.

It,s Milwaukee for me now.
I am not a paid sponser

Name:  gum.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  80.2 KB

Old 07-31-2021, 09:43 AM   #17
vintovka

Ryobi/home depot must know they have a turd in hand with these drills but choose to deal with it By totally ignoring customers. Seems the federal govt has set the standard for dealing with folks and Ryobi is following suit. Both have lost my faith
Old 07-31-2021, 09:59 AM   #18
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Ryobi/home depot must know they have a turd in hand with these drills but choose to deal with it By totally ignoring customers. Seems the federal govt has set the standard for dealing with folks and Ryobi is following suit. Both have lost my faith
Did Home Depot let you return it?

Old 07-31-2021, 10:14 AM   #19
vintovka

Its going back next week along with a growing number of defective items i have gotten in last 2 months. Will be interesting if any resistance is encountered. I wish i could return the defective aftermarket batteries i bought for it on ebay. The seller/maker VANNON flat ghosted me. Seems the new spirit of "we don't give a -----" is expanding. An amazing 6 out of 6 aftermarket VANNON batteries are DOA and Neither ebay or other net sellers cares. Russian friend says it reminds him of products made during time of USSR.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #20
v30crewcab

I had the same problem with dewalt, until I figured out how to actually use the chuck. tighten it up like normal by hand, then back it off slightly and it clicks, locking the chuck. no more problems after that. does the ryobi have that option on their chuck?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #21
vintovka

No it comes loose doing that and even won't stay tight with a strap wrench. Sadly is looks nice feels powerful but essentially useless and downright dangerous. Will make the the 130+ mile round trip to Homeless Depot to try to return it next week. Other thought is to trade for another before is give up but as an Engineer i am certain is a serious design defect and Ryobi/HD is acting like they are SH-T less over a recall so hoping many won't complain . Watch for some real deals on these to unload them.

If Ryobi gets away with this BS watch other companies follow suit.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:00 AM   #22
mikelom

Thanks for the heads up. The only Ryobi product I have is the pressure washer and so far I have no complaints.
mikelom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:37 PM   #23
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I won't touch that cut-rate garbage, like it has a disease. Corded or cordless, just no. It's a the same Harbor Freight junk, with better marketing.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with some HF stuff, but you have to be careful. Hard goods, like hammers, prybars, etc are ok, just don't trust them with much.
I keep a couple of the spray guns around because they are so cheap as to be basically disposable.
Power tools of any kind.....no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #24
vintovka

The previous poster reminded me of the harbor freight jack stand recall. Essentially the stand was welded so badly the legs would spread apart and drop on you. Give that a thought when you're under yours.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #25
truckin 79

I have several rechargeable Ryobi tools and all have been great. I have the impact drill, impact gun, drills, orbital sander, jig saw, radial saw, sawzall, weed wacker and the 40v chain saw. So far all 6 litium batteries are great, I have not had one of these die yet. I even have some of the older blue ryobi tools and those are still running strong as well. So to say all Ryobi tools are bad is stretching the truth by A LOT.